• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

KHX PC3000, what chips are they???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ares350

most have probably seen the deal in cyber deals.

Im real close to grabbing this for the great price(35$ less than newegg)

its only PC3000, but I figure I can possibly overclock it to 3200 or higher.

also imagine it with a DFI mobo so I can pump volts into it if need be.

anyone know what chipset this is, and how well it can keep the tight timings?

just need like 1 knowledgable person to tell me its a good deal, and theres not a better deal out there.

reply quick though! I dont know when the sale ends.

I dunno i get mine today or tommrow due to fedex being dumb about having to sign for it :( , best thing is to put into frezer and take out and take off heatspreders and look @ them first hand or just test @ diff mhz and latencys

you might get them today? if so, will you be removing the heatspreaders and looking?

if so Ill wait to see what you report.

Nah, I've had them for awhile now. I really don't care to remove the heatspreaders as it's not that big a deal to me..

An easy way to tell though is to run these at 200MHz with 2-2-2-6 timings at 2.6v - run through memtest a few times and see if you get errors. Chances are, if you're error free they are BH-5.

I'm working on a new rig right now, so once I get it up and running, I'll post some results.

mattspalace said:
Nah, I've had them for awhile now. I really don't care to remove the heatspreaders as it's not that big a deal to me..

An easy way to tell though is to run these at 200MHz with 2-2-2-6 timings at 2.6v - run through memtest a few times and see if you get errors. Chances are, if you're error free they are BH-5.

I'm working on a new rig right now, so once I get it up and running, I'll post some results.

Thats really not a good indication.

BH6 and CH5 will do those speeds as well.

The only way to know is to take the heatspreads off.

Its just 2 clips. I don't know why everyone makes such a big deal out of it.

nah Im curious about SK8.

it seems from my searching that these always have been BH5, the question is if they still are.

still the same timings, same voltage, and the same part number. but some things just seem too good to be true if ya know what I mean

oh the gernal census about dw45 are always ch5 are not true... there are some that are bh5... however if you use google's froogle option you can search for ram easily i found couple site caring 3200k/1gb running 2-2-2-6 and best yet it DOESNT COST OVER 300+ 280 is pretty good price

yes but your not gurantee it hehe so sure 180 might sound good but i say.... find places with sure lock deals

280$ for 1gig of any 3200ram is highway robbery, 315 is out of this world.

Im sure its great stuff, but anyone that pays 300$ for something like that is off their rocker. more money than sense IMO.

something that cost 230$ 5days ago is not worth 315$ because its running out, its still 230$ ram, with a massive markup.

I just got my gig of khx3000. I peeked under the corner of the heatspreader and it says Kingston so I don't know what the chips are.
I set it for 2.9V, 2-2-2-7, and started testing. I started at 220 FSB and it passed test 5 in memtest86 but failed prime95 all the way down to 200 FSB. So I ran it at rated speed and voltage (185 FSB, 2.5V) and that worked. Now I'm working my way back up but with lower voltage this time. No errors yet at 200 FSB, 2-2-2-6, 2.7V but its only been less than an hour.
Before I bought it I called Kingston and they said I could return it for any reason within 30 days for a full refund. But another guy who bought some said his needed to burn in for a week. At first he couldn't run it at 220 FSB but now its up to 245 - so we'll see. So far this stuff doesn't even compare with my 2 x 256 KHX3200 with BH-5.

pelikan said:
I just got my gig of khx3000. I peeked under the corner of the heatspreader and it says Kingston so I don't know what the chips are.
I set it for 2.9V, 2-2-2-7, and started testing. I started at 220 FSB and it passed test 5 in memtest86 but failed prime95 all the way down to 200 FSB. So I ran it at rated speed and voltage (185 FSB, 2.5V) and that worked. Now I'm working my way back up but with lower voltage this time. No errors yet at 200 FSB, 2-2-2-6, 2.7V but its only been less than an hour.
Before I bought it I called Kingston and they said I could return it for any reason within 30 days for a full refund. But another guy who bought some said his needed to burn in for a week. At first he couldn't run it at 220 FSB but now its up to 245 - so we'll see. So far this stuff doesn't even compare with my 2 x 256 KHX3200 with BH-5.

My 1GB KHX3000 also passes Memtest at 220MHz 2.8v 2-2-2-5 but fails Prime95 even below 200MHz! I guess MemTest doesn't tell much in this case about how the memory will actually perform! Also Windows crashes sometimes at even 200MHz 2.8v 2-2-2-5, but it seems more stable now than before, so I suspect these memories can be really burnt-in quite well. At least I hope so!

I guess the KHX3200s are a bit more overclockable because they are 256MB dimms.

You're running them in dual channel I assume, right?

Let me know how you do, I'm very interested :)

Good luck,

Oren

{PMS}fishy said:

Thats really not a good indication.

BH6 and CH5 will do those speeds as well.

The only way to know is to take the heatspreads off.

Its just 2 clips. I don't know why everyone makes such a big deal out of it.

Warranty = void.

But that really doesn't matter if it's BH-5. Not like they can replace it.

BTW I picked up a 2x256 pack of the HyperX PC3200 non a from Zipzoomfly about a month ago.

I have not looked under heatspreader, but 250FBS at 2-2-2-11-9-12 sounds like BH-5 to me.

BTW the RAM's PCB is glowing under the blacklight in my case.
it looks :cool:

Back