• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can't seem to install windows!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

InfamousHindu

I just got a new computer today, AMD64 3200+ on a ECS 755-a2 mobo, 512mb 400mhz ram from samsung, segate sata 80gb hd, 9800pro 128mb video card. I try to install windows xp pro on it, but everytime I get to the copying files section, the "blue screen of death" pops up and gives me different errors everytime. I'm getting really frustrated right now because I can't even install ANY OF THE WINDOWS OS's on it, the same thing happens to everyone of them. Any know whats wrong, please help.

Do you need to install any SATA drivers prior to the installation (ie, right when install starts)? I'm not familiar with SATAs, but I thought they required a disk in the beginning.

Reason I say is because your problem sounds like the one I ran into when I accidentally didn't have a HD hooked up when installing XP >.<

I went to college at Gettysburg...

When you boot from CD, and the screen first turns blue, read the bottom of the screen. It should say, press F6 for any 3rd party RAID or blah blah blah blah. It may say something about SATA.

Another indicator would be your mobo coming with a diskette that says "SATA install drivers."

Sorry I can't help more. Another thing you could try is to update the BIOS.

I got it to install in the most odd way possible, I decided to switch my bios setting to SATA raid mode, I did that, installed my SATA raid drivers and WHAMMY, got the installation files to copy, after that, I then switched my SATA drive back to IDE mode and WHAMMY, it finished the installation without any hiccups. Funny thing is, I only have one hard drive in there and I was still able to run it on raid mode, strange huh?

There are no drivers required for SATA. The interface between the hard drive controller and the drive may be different, but the interface between the hard drive controller and the rest of the computer is the same as far as any software is concerned.

I would look into RAM settings! I've got few bec/ RAM misconfigs
I also had BSOD bec/ video and bios shadow/cache were enabled yea disable them
Did you try WinXP 64 beta yet? hey it might work better.
my Friend couldn't install WinXP on his 64bit machine and he finally decided to stick with Win98SE!
Maybe you should try Win2k SP4

ok I'm running out of ideas but hopefully these ones would help
Good Luck

Cheers :)

I just got windows xp to install on my computer, but now I keep on getting the blue screen and it restarts, I get 2 types of errors, the first: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA, and the second, IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL, anyone know how to fix this. I do have all updated drivers too.

"PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA" odds are very high this is a memory error
"IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" this is a driver error...and if the above is caused by a memory error...odds are that will cause this error also...

Aiight, ran memtest up to 50% on pass three, here are the errors I got:
Test: 5
Pass: 1
Err-bits: 00000001
I got 16 of these all on Pass 1, so is my ram most likely the problem? And if it is, should I get a different type of ram, or the same kind. I have 512mb of PC3200, Samsung module on a ECS 755-A2 mobo. Also, the strange thing is, I can use the computer, but it will randomly crash then, sometimes is 5min, sometimes in 40min.

That is definetly the signs of memory issues...have the same issues on the ECS MB in the living room system...at least it lets me install XP every 5th or 6th time...mine is a memory controller issue...

best thing to do is...replace the memory you have now...with the same thing...and if that stick has errors...try one more stick of something different...and if that stick has errors...then odds are you are in the same situation I am with the ECS MB...

Back