• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Building a new PC, and need opinions on RAM MFG's :)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Scary_Penguin

Greetings everyone!

I'm new here, have only posted a few things in the Alternative Modding section, and had some questions about a few different memory options I've come across. I want to keep my cost at about $150-$200 for this.

My original plan was to get Two of these Mushkin 256MB PC3200 sticks.

What I would really like to do is go for a 1GB Setup, but, well, prices add up :x

I also looked at a few different types of OCZ memory:
512MB OCZ Basic Series PC3200
512MB OCZ Performance PC3200

And Corsair:
512MB XMS PC3200

My questions are, basically:

1) What of these would be suitable for overclocking? (When I learn more about it)
2) Would PC4000 really be worth the extra speed over PC3200? (Using This Board and Processor combination) I still dont quite understand the correlation between the 200mhzx4 (800) FSB of the P4 and the Memory speed.
3) Am I better off with 2 256's or 2 512's? I've read and heard that beyond a certain point, the extra memory doesn't make much of a difference if it runs so much faster. And I'm used to the slow speeds of a PC100 SDRAM System where more memory was always better.

Thanks in advance!

1) The OCZ Performance and Corsair XMS would be fine for overclocking.
2) I would go with the PC4000 to jack the FSB higher at a 1:1 ratio.
3) 2x512 would be better if you multitask, render or play a lot of games. Otherwise, you'll be fine with 2x256MB.

~THT

Well, I have the MB, Processor, and Memory that I've been looking at all there in my first post, so any suggestions are greatly appreciated :)

Back