• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best memory for a p4 3.0!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mobyj

Registered
there's to many choices so can you people help me out on some suggestions. I'm going to put the 3.0 in a asus p4p800 deluxe. willing to spend about $150 but no more than $175.. Thanks..

I didn't know you could use pc 4200 ram in a board that only supports up to pc 3200 like the asus p4p800 deluxe!! can someone explain this to me .. thanks..

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!!!!!

yeah i love my hyperram, buts its not for ur 3.0. i think some of the new samsung pc3700 would be a real nice fit. it will probably run tighter timings at the fsb speed 230-240 and will go to 250 if need be. and its real cheap! 1 gig for probably 160.00 180.00.

Well whats your cooling? If your on air, yes the Komusa may be overkill, but cheaper then a lot of PC3500 models. Flapperhead, where did you find those samsung's?

Kox, how do you like your 2.8? I'm not sure if i want to get a 2.8 or a 3.0! is there much difference?? and yes Im on air..

flapperhead said:
WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!!!!!

yeah i love my hyperram, buts its not for ur 3.0. i think some of the new samsung pc3700 would be a real nice fit. it will probably run tighter timings at the fsb speed 230-240 and will go to 250 if need be. and its real cheap! 1 gig for probably 160.00 180.00.

i have some good expirience with samsung memory
good ocing , no heating, its very flexible, and the most important very cheap...

Here's a link to a review on the Samsung PC3700 at Anand Tech.

http://www.anandtech.com/memory/showdoc.html?i=1998

It would probably be a good choice if you can find it. I haven't seen it anywhere yet.

I did see some of Komusa's HyperRam that was PC3700 with Samsung chips selling for about $190 a gig. I think that this is binned PC3200, just like they appear to be doing with the A-Data PC4200.

Another possible choice is some Kingston ValueRam with the Hynix BT-D43 chips. You can find these at BB or CC if you scan the packs. A dual kit of 2 x 256 (512) can be had for about $70 to $80, after rebates, or about $120 at CC regular price. BB's regular price is about $150. Just keep your eye out for the Sunday ads. One of the other guys posted a link to a vendor that had the Hynix in 2 x 512 for about $150 but I can't recall which vendor (check the threads, looking at Hynix or BT-D43 related subject lines). That's the best price I have seen so far (except when some got snatched up a e-bay for about $75 for 2 x 512 by some un-named people). I got some direct from Kingston last month and both of my Retail Dual Packs (2 x 256) came with the Hynix chips. I haven't done anything with it yet, but alot of the guys (flapperhead for one...a.k.a. "un-named people") say that this RAM has regularly run at 250 or more on Intel rigs so it should be all you need for your P4 @ 3.0.

Good luck which ever way you go and post your results (and a link to the new Samsung if you find it anywhere), since I'm sure a lot of people would be interested.

Last edited:
I would go with the 3.0 over the 2.8. I've seen 3.0's do very high overclocks like this one. And if you are going to be doing those kind of overclocks, pc4000-4400 would be my choice of ram. That way you could stick to the 1:1 Ratio. Good luck.
And Welcome to the forums!!

Last edited:
Back