• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mushkin Special PC3200 (2-2-2-6) Fails Memtest86 & Prime95 at low speeds??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ge|atinousFury

My brother recently upgraded his system to this:

NF7-S 2.0
Mushkin Special PC3200 2-2-2-6 (2x512MB in slots 2 & 3)
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB
Enermax 431W PSU

This ram is rated at 200FSB but even at these settings:

Timings: 2-2-3-11
Vcore: 1.7
Vdimm: 2.7

Prime95 AND Memtest86 will have errors within 30 seconds of starting them. CPU Interface is disabled and APIC is enabled.

Should he RMA this or is there something to explain this?

Thanks for any help

mrspec3 said:
You have the VDD all the way up? Also make sure you test 1 stick at a time

Steve

I have tried VDD at every possible voltage and at every possible VDD voltage both tests fail. After trying numerous tests including changing Vcore, Vdimm, and VDD I've almost concluded that he's gonna have to RMA this stuff. Later tonight we're gonna try one stick at a time to determine if it might be one bad stick. I've increased the ram timings from 2-2-2-6 to 2-2-3-11 and no luck either. I'm not relaxing the timings further because it should at least do 200MHz at the timings that it's officially rated for.

I have my 2-2-2 special running stable at 2.8 in bios, 2.7 in windows perfectly stable. They ran stable at 2.7 in bios 2.6 or so in windows but not stable enough. I bought mine about 3 months ago, so they may be better chips. Im going to be selling it soon as I take off the spreader to check the type of chips.

When i treied testing each stick individually they seemed to fail at approximatly the same speed. Ive noticed though that i can reach a higher speed at a 4:5 multiplier then at a 3:4. And when it boots, it is always rock solid and does not cause any errors in memtest. Im geussing my mobo doesnt seem to like running with a multilplier. Im going to test the sticks on a friends computers. When i get a new procesor, maybe it will like running at 1:1 faster.

Well, it turns out that one of the two sticks is just plain defective. Tested one stick of ram @ 200FSB, 1.6vcore, 2.6vdimm and it was stable through memtest86 for a good while.

Popped in stick #2 as a single stick after that and at the same settings I had around 1,090 errors within 5 seconds of memtest86 starting. Ouch.

A new question rears it's head now: Is there any way (through Newegg or Mushkin) that only one stick of the dual pack could be RMA'd instead of sending both back and getting 2 new sticks? I told him that my best guess would be to go through Mushkin to do it that way as Newegg would probably want both sticks back for a full exchange.

just contact mushkin. i have a similiar problem and they offer excellent tech support and were great when it came to me sending in my ram.

so far i have dealt with kingston and mushking directly and i must say, these ram people kick @$$. they treat you with respect and are more than willing to do whatever is necessary to get the problem taken care of.

My new KHX3000 2x512 didn't want to run in the beginning at 192MHz 2-2-2-6, but now after a little bit of "burning-in" they allow me 208MHz 2-2-2-6 and I haven't given up yet :) I don't know if it's common, but maybe your memory needs to be burnt-in for awhile until it reaches its specs or exceeds them. It's possible that 1 stick has been already burnt-in while the other hasn't. I would suggest running the Prime95 torture test several times for a few hours, starting with a MHz lower than 200, and raising the MHz slowly until you hit the rated one. Give it another day or two and if then it still behaves the same then certainly RMA it.

Oren said:
My new KHX3000 2x512 didn't want to run in the beginning at 192MHz 2-2-2-6, but now after a little bit of "burning-in" they allow me 208MHz 2-2-2-6 and I haven't given up yet :) I don't know if it's common, but maybe your memory needs to be burnt-in for awhile until it reaches its specs or exceeds them. It's possible that 1 stick has been already burnt-in while the other hasn't. I would suggest running the Prime95 torture test several times for a few hours, starting with a MHz lower than 200, and raising the MHz slowly until you hit the rated one. Give it another day or two and if then it still behaves the same then certainly RMA it.

Good insight, but this stick is about as DOA as it can be. It still produces thousands of memtest86 errors even at 160FSB lol

Im not sure about Mushkin, but when i RMAd my OCZ pc3500 platinum dual channel kit because one stick wasnt performing as it was supposed to, I had to send both sticks back.

Both Mushkin and Newegg will be more than willing to help. Mushkin's tech support is top notch! IMHO I would RMA thru Mushkin.

Mushkin keeps their best binned RAM for their RMA department. That is where I got my kick *** BH5. If you RMA it to them, they will make sure that you get the best BH6 available!:cool:

Also b4 you give up on it, try testing that stick in various slots. The NF7 is slot dependant. My BH5 showed a similar result

I have the same memory and at 2-2-2-11 and 200MHz, I need 2.8V to run prime95 stable. This is odd as Memtest86+ runs without any errors @ 2.7V....

Back