• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

RAM is a conspiracy!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hydr0 Styles

Does anyone else think that RAM is a conspiracy?
By that I mean... the manufacturers are just loosening the timings, and giving it a higher MHz rating.

I came across some of the PC4400 from Corsair on newegg.
3-4-4-8. 275Mhz.

I do believe someone over on AMDforums.com got about 275-280 on timings about that loose on a noname PC2700 stick.

AMD and Intel do this with their CPUs.

AMD is notorious for under/overclocking a CPU and selling it for more/less.

Maybe I'm just crazy and I have no clue what I'm talking about.

I don't know for RAM, but for the CPU the reason is simple. The production cost would be too high if there was 5-6 different CPU. It is far more simple to make one for all. Don't complaint on that, is because of this if we can practive overclock! :)

There isn't much of a differance between a 133MHz DDR-SDRAM PC-2100 rated chip and the chips you find under PC-4000 doing 250MHz, besides advertised rating and product support.

Hynix BT-D43 chips, btw, are rated for 200MHz w/ 2.5-3-3 timings.

The reason you buy fast rated RAM is to get good chips. High grade stuff uses good binned ICs.

Its more or less a gaurntee that the RAM will not be a factor

Speed_Mechanic2 said:
There isn't much of a differance between a 133MHz DDR-SDRAM PC-2100 rated chip and the chips you find under PC-4000 doing 250MHz, besides advertised rating and product support.

Hynix BT-D43 chips, btw, are rated for 200MHz w/ 2.5-3-3 timings.

no truer word have been spoken.. understanding that the pc4400 that costs 400.00 can sometimes be achieved by alot cheaper memory is the key to saving BIG bux.. the boutique companies charge hi dollars for binning, guarenteed speed and great support. this is ok if u dont want the hassles of doing ur homework and want a certain speed right out of the box. however for alot of guys, doing a little homework checking around and doing without guarenteed speed, is worth it to pay 1/2 the price..

Back