• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New NF7, very hot RAM and FSB!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Chronos_s

Hey guys,

This is really wierd,,, i killed my old nf7-s and got a new one. same ram, same lapping method on the fsb, same hsf used on fsb.

The old on ran at 32C RAM and 28C FSB

New one runs at 39C RAM and 42C FSB!!!

This is determined by using thermal probes (not motherboard sensors) and not overclocked at all. infact my fs is only at 100mhz atm cuase i'm running an old duron til i get my new cpu

Can someone explain this to me??? these temps are horrible! I have done vdimm and vdd mod (same as the other board) but both are inactive atm and voltages are normal. my Vdd is even at 1.4v (DMM determinied) and its at 42 degrees C... wtf!??!?!

i have conforimed by using my hands too, they are definitely hotter than with the last mobo, not just sensor error

thanks... :)

BTW the only difference i can see with the 2 boards is the socket arm on my new one is metal, and the old one was plastic

oh yeah and when listening to mp3's now i get cracks and pops all the time.. very annoying

I just got my NF7-S rev 2.0 board. I agree with you 100%. The temps are much higher than what I had experienced with my rig below. I am using the same hardware and case. I also touched my heatsink and it is cool, yet my MBM5 and Abit temp utility shows system 1 25C and CPU 38C during first 5 minutes of cold boot. I have seen go as high as 30C sys 1 and 44C CPU on idle with 166 X 11 default. Is this correct?

My rig below had 33/30/22 (socket/diode/case) with 166 X 11.

Am I correct to say system 1 on abit MB is case temp and CPU is diode temp? or is it socket temp? I am unable to get both CPU socket and diode temp display together on MBM5. I am assuming I have diode temp since it shows in red.

i just looked at mine.. youre exactly right. i dont mind them changing it, but when ALL my temps go up 10C then i get the poops! RAM, CPU, FSB... everything's gone up 10C

And thats AFTER i've done all volt mods so its not in warranty any more... ffs piece of crap

One thing I found out...read this in another thread on another forum and checked it out myself...

the newer NF7's are using different mosfet chips...and these new chips tend to run a lot hotter then the older ones...and if the mosfets are running real hot...this in turn can trasfer the heat to the CPU since the mosfets and CPU socket are so close together...

Dont go by the touch test either...since the mosfets tend to heat up the back of the MB...mine where very cool to touch...but even after letting the MB sit for aobut 10 minutes...time it took to remove the MB...the back of the MB where the mosefts and NB sit was still almost too hot to touch...and the area around the CPU socket was starting to get very warm...

One of the better things to do is...add ramsinks to the mosfets and add a 60mm fan to help aide in cooling...this will help keep them cooler...but the best thing to do..if possible is...add a few cooling fans blowing directly on the back of the MB...blowing over the mosfet and NB area...

hmmm well i have already got ramsinks on the mosfets, but not a fan blowing onto them. The sinks are warm but not as hot as the NB or RAM...

james.miller: I'm not talking about bios temps, i'm talking about actual temps measured with a probe

I switched back to my Assus Board (see rig below). My temps are now at 31C socket /25C diode/ 20C case after 25 minutes of of burn in with default settings at 166 X 11. I hate to say this but STAY AWAY FROM NF7-S BOARDS REV 2.0. You will get an increase of 10C's easily. Too bad. I really like the bios, but I can't live with high temps, especially since I am gonna OC anyways....DUH! ASSUS is BETTER!

Sorry to get a little of topic here, but a lot of people have been quoting their diode temps. I have an NF7-S, but I can't get motherboard monitor, or any other program to tell me the diode temp. How are you doing it?

Back