• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can PC4000 XMS run slower at tighter timings?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Junglebizz

I am currently using a stick of Corsair XMS PC3200 ram and it works great at 210 MHz and 7-3-3-2 timings.. I was thinking upgrading to 1 GB of ram and selling off this current stick. Before I do that though, I was wondering, can the PC4000 ram, that comes stock CAS 3.0, run at slower speeds with tighter timings?

I know ram is backwards compatible, but if i got PC4000, could i maybe run it at say 220 and get CAS 2 out of it?

I want to get more RAM because of Far Cry mainly.. I just got a radeon 9800 PRo and even at XT speeds, the game still does jump occasionally at high settings..

I just found a website selling the XMS pc3200 for $155 cdn. I think i might just pick up another stick of ram and run dual channel.

I think 1 gig of ram should take care of some jumps in my games.

It's either this or sell my ram and get faster stuff that will be underclocked.. Which option do you think is the better one?

You have a better chance of finding a different set then taking a chance. If you want some good ram cheap pick up the HyperX PC3000 thats $184.00 per gig right now. It will be CH-5 and run 2,3,2,7 and you can't beat the price anywhere. Check the Cyber Deals forum.

taking a chance? you mean on getting another stick to see if it fixes my situation?

Back