• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help with AN7 and NF7-S

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

amdperson

HI

My brother just bought an AN7 about a week ago but he is having problems with the BIOS. For some reason the BIOS just wont save any info. I changed the settings to what they should be and when im done i go to the save and exit line and press enter. The PC will restart and a screen will come up saying "Do not power off while saving BIOS" this stays there for 2 or 3 secs then the monitor goes off and the pc hangs. I then switch the pc off then on again, i get the " Do not power off while saving BIOS" again, then when I get to the post screen it tunes me that i have to reconfigure the BIOS again.

Strangely though, all the setting I entered before are as I want them but the mobo reports that the cpu is running at 1250 mhz with a FSB of 200 when it should be 1670 mhz and a FSB of 266 (Athlon xp 2000+).

Can this be fixed with a BIOS update (I just downloaded it) or should I rma the board?

Here is what he is running:

Abit AN7
Athlon Xp 2000+
512 Mb DDR 400 KingMax
40GB Maxtor 5400
GeForce 4 MX 440 128MB
Windows Xp Pro
============================================================

Now the other problem:

My Friend has just bought some DDR 400 for his NF7-S but the mobo reads the memory at DDR 333. I have managed to get the memory up to 380 but the only way I could do that was to up the FSB to 180 and lower the multi to 10.0.

Is there a way I can get his RAM to run at its rated speed without overclocking his Cpu? I dont want to overclock his Cpu cause he is using his stock HSF.

Heres what he is running:

ABIT NF7-S
Athlon Xp 2500+
512 DDR 400 KingMax
2x 120Gb W/D
ATI Radeon 9600 Pro 256MB
Windows xp Pro

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Question 2, yes you can use the dividers to run the memory at 400mhz and the CPU at a lower speed. Will it make any difference, no. So there is no need to bother. Its like trying to stuff a 4" ball through a 2" hole. AMDs cannot benfit from higher memory bus speeds. If you increase the FSB as well, then you will see a benifit.

Question 1, Try flashing the BIOS in windows to the newest version, and see if that helps. If not, Im not to sure what to tell you. Maybe check the CMOS battery, but its a new MB, and I doubt that that it should be dead.

Back