• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Wont post, even after clearing CMOS

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jklipper

Registered
I wanted to see if i could do 250 fsb on a Mobile 2500 and Ultra Infinity. I lowered my to 8 and now it wont post ....no beeps but fans turn, cd-rom ejects and lites up when i turn it on. My monitor does not turn on either. I would try a new cpu and such but i have no spare parts. I think i fried my motherboard or cpu mabee......i think i really screwed myself now:( I will try leaving the battery out and the jumper to clear the CMOS overnight and pray.

Any help would be appritiated

When you put the battery back in wait another 5-10 minutes before moving jumper. That I think has helped me.

Psyko

I'll try that. What do you think the chances of this working are....my bet is not good!!:eek:

It has never taken me more than 30 seconds to clear CMOS. In most instances less than that.

Turn everything off, including the power supply switch (or just pull the plug), and press the power button on front of case (this can release some remnant power). Move the jumper to the clear position, wait 5-10 seconds. Move the jumper back to original position. Do not touch the battery. Don't even look at it. Okay, you can look at it, but still don't touch it.

Plug the power back in and try to boot.

I have a DFI LP revA, 4 DFI UI, and an Asus A7S333. None of them will clear in 30 seconds. Not once, and with all the issues I've had believe me I've cleared them alot. The revA is probably the worst (sometimes 15 minutes is not enough). I know they don't clear because I set bios to "wait 4 sec" instead default "power down instantly". So if after clear it still won't boot and when I press the power button and it doesn't turn off instantly then it's not cleared yet. I've tried everything take battery out, don't take battery out, move jumper then battery, battery then jumper. The best way I've found is to move jumper wait 5 min., remove battery wait 5 min., put battery back wait 5min., move jumper back and wait another 5. This has not failed to clear cmos yet *fingers crossed, knocking on wood*. Do be sure to unplug power from wall or atleast power switch off on PSU.

Psyko

Well, i still havent got anywhere. Hope its the Infinity and not the CPU, only had the Infinity since wednesday so its still under warrenty.

Bought it online at NCIX, anyone think they will have a problem with taking it back on a RMA?

You may have a bad CPU. I have an 1800 that does the same thing: Fans turn on but beebs and no screen. Just blank. Its done this on three setups with different motherboards.

Psyko, have your motherboards done this since day 1 because i have been able to clear the CMOS in seconds till this time, without taking the batterey out. I will try the 5 minute test you do and see if get anywhere.

I dont get any beeps, and by looking at the monitor it stays on standby as if i haven't turned my system on. I tried a different power supply with the same results.

When i turn my computer on it acts the same as if i haven't cleared the CMOS, so it gives me a little hope still.

Do you think my computer would beep if it was the CPU that was burned and not the motherboard or vice versa?

There are different beep codes that you may hear from the system speaker depending on what the problem is... So with certain different problems you should still hear a beep code, though it may be different.

I know motherboards give beep codes if a CPU is not detected... I'm not sure what kinds of motherboard problems will give beep codes. :-/

I hope we can help you get this figured out. :)

There only seems to be 2 different error beeps for the Ultra Infinity:
first is video error - one long tone followed by three short tones
second is dramm error - one long tone followed by another

I've had the dram error many times on my LP rev A but never on my UI's (LanParty has light diagnostics instead of beep codes and has LOTS of differnet codes). And no I think one or 2 of the UI's did at one point clear in a few seconds before the first flash (or maybe just after not sure). After that I've been using the above 5 min. mthod with 95% success (didn't work once on LPa :(, did it again and it worked). Anyway when my LPa "loses" it's RAM (if that's the code your getting) the way I fixed it was to remove fast RAM and replace with some old DDR333 because it tries to post "by spd" which means my DDR433 is running @ DDR400 (200MHz) while my fsb is 100MHz!!! It HATES that but will work @ DDR333 (166MHz) and 100MHz long enough for me to set the "by spd" to 1:1 and then put 433 back and I'm ready to go :D. This may not be the problem at all though. Also my revA likes to kick to desktop erratically at times and lose display altogether even though it's not even crashed. It has done this to me 3 times now :(.

Psyko

Well, i went to a local shop and they couldn't get any CPU to work on my Infinity. Man i am glad its not my Mobile 2500. Time to send it back on a RMA. I sure hope it doesnt take too get a new 1.

Thanks guys for the help, ocforums rocks!!:cool:

Back