• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

bad onboard memory

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

livpas

it's a laptop motherboard and i was wondering if htere is a way to disable the onboard memory and use only the slot momory. i doubt there's a jumper that does that, but would it be possible to remove (i.e unsolder, cut out) the chips? beter yet, is there a way to find the chip that is damaged so that i can remove only the bad ones and have at least half working??
thanks

We will need a lot more information to help you out
What laptop is it
what motherboard model is it
what memory is it video or system
have you looked in their own forum (I found most of my laptop info in mine)
the best help may be a tech manual (*search your model and the words "service manual")
You also may want to look at eBay for a motherboard (could be a lot easier and cheaper)

thanks. it a sharp rd-10 laptop. there's not much info about it and i'm not interested in alternatives of repairing the laptop.

my problem is not speciffic to the model and concerns whether it is possible to remove a bad memory chip from a module (or in my case soldered on the motherboard) and still be able to use whatever is left.

for example, if the difference between a module with 256mb and one with 128mb is just the number of chips the manufacturer decides to use, and if a chip of 128 has 4 chips of memory on one side and one of 256mb has 8 chips -4 on each side-then is it safe to infer that by removing 4 chips from one side of the 256mb module it will result in a 128mb memory module that is functional?
if it's true then it should be the same with onboard memory.

is there more than the memory chips on regular memory modules? would the removal of the chips make the it module undetectable(or something to that effect for onboard mem)?.

i did it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and it works like a champ. a removed the chips that are on the top side. i used an exactoknife to cut the pins, and made sure no pins were tuoching. i was hoping it would still detect the other half (underside of mobo) but it didn't. it disabled all the onboard memory. i have two memory slots left, one occupied with 256mb sodimm and that just rocks.

for anyone trying the same thing you might have issues with systems with shared memory. AFAIK they require the the video memory to exist in a certain slot. good luck.

Back