• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help me optimize my memory...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

-Spool-

Registered
ram_01.jpg

Well from the information in that picture... what would you suggest I change to optimize my memory? I think I could probably get a little bit more out of it.

Thanks for any help.

Change your RAM:FSB ratio to 1:1. You have it set so the fsb is faster than the memory frequency.

Also increase your vdimm.

OK... in my bios the DRAM frequency setting has 4 options... [Auto][266Mhz][333Mhz][400MHz]. What one would I set it to, to achieve a 1:1 ratio? Right now its at 266. Also... my VDIMM is on the [AUTO] setting, but there are also 2.55, 2.65, 2.75, and 2.85 settings.

Set to 400mhz for 1:1, 333mhz for 5:4 or 266mhz for 3:2. Your Kingston PC3500 might not be able to run 1:1 with your 233fsb setting as shown. Test your memory to find its 1:1 limit and you can decide whether you get better performance running 1:1 or 5:4. Your CPU-Z shows that the RAS Precharge is set higher than the RAS to CAS delay. The RAS to CAS delay is almost always set either equal to or greater than RAS Precharge. If you overclock with 1:1, you will probably need to relax your memory timings.

Cheers

OK I need a little more help...

I lowered the FSB to 230 (3.45Ghz), set the ram to 400Mhz, VDIMM to 2.75 and the timings are at 2.5-3-3-6.

Sandra gave me these results...
RAM Bandwidth Int Buffered iSSE2 5508 MB/s
RAM Bandwidth Float Buffered iSSE2 5524 Mb/s

It's better than it was... except I keep getting an error in Prime95. I'm guessing I need to relax the timings more?

EDIT: FSB at 233, (2.5Ghz0, VDIMM at 2.85, timings at 2.5-4-3-6
RAM Bandwidth Int Buffered iSSE2 5607 MB/s
RAM Bandwidth Float Buffered iSSE2 5509 Mb/s

But again got an error on prime95... back to the drawing board

Last edited:
I would say the error is likely related to your memory. From my experience on my p4p800 and from what I have seen of others using these asus boards, trying to overclock low latency RAM at 1:1 can be a bit of a chore. I currently have OCZ PC3500 Plat. Ltd. Ed. that runs as advertised but I also have the PC3500 EL copper that barely makes it to 217mhz and only CAS2.5 at that. I think (but I cannot confirm) that the EL coppers are CH-5 based like your Kingston.

You could try setting your RAS to CAS delay at 4 but this is only worth the bandwidth loss if it increases your overclock. If you are close to stability, then increasing your tRAS from 6 to 8 might help. You may find it is better to run 5:4 with timings something like 2-3-2-6.

Cheers

Alright... I tried 2.5-4-4-8.. still got an error. went to 5:4 and did not. so it is the memory. So 1:1 just aint happening. I will got to 5:4 and get that the best I can.

I wish I had some BH-5

Alright. Well 1:1 didn't happen. I tried the most relaxed timings I could: 3-4-4-8 and prime95 had errors. I'm sure I could bench other programs and be fine, but I want real good stability.

So I went to 5:4, and got better timings than I thought.
ram_02.jpg

On 1:1 with the best timings that would actually boot the OS, I got 56?? on both bandwith fields... which was AWESOME... until prime95 had to suck. Oh well

At least its better than it was originally.

Edit: on a side note... when i first boot the OS, I have 185 MB of ram being used.... after prime95, there is only 137MB being used... why is that?

Back