• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

will 3.0 volts kill my mem?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

voodoothenoob

ocz pc3200 limited edition platinum

got it at 225 fsb 2-2-2-5 cl at 3.0 volts

will this cause my ram to die in under 1 year?

what is life expectancy of ram at 3.0 volts?

runs stable on prime95 for 24 hours no problem...so its stable but is there a downside???

I've seen a lot of ppl use even higher with the ltd edition.I'm guessing!! that as long as they're stable they shouldn't be killed by oc.Take it gentle and run memory test for 12 hours or so with each setting above 2.8 maybe.

As long as you have either good case airflow or a fan suspended over the DIMMs, 3.0v will not hurt your RAM provided that it's BH5/BH6 (which it certainly sounds like).

~THT

No one can say for sure, but like THT said, the better your case ventilation, the better your odds.

on a side note...nice ram. my 3500 plat LE have hit 225 at 2.85 2-2-2-6. i need a vdimm mod :)

You can run 3.0 volts with no problems,I been running this mushkin at 3.3 volts for 2 months and I've had no problems.Memtest even ran for 30 something hours without errors.:D

yeah i would worry about it. i had a stick go bad just recently but theres no way for me to tell if it was because of high vdimm or just that the stick was bound to fail.
i vowed not to run high vdimm again. 3 days later im back at 3.27v with my new ram.
i would worry about it dude, just give it the voltage and if it dies then buy some new stuff, even if you say you cant afford it theres always a way.
btw. my 9700np is still going strong with a 3.3v memory volt mod for 3 months now. my first 9700np was totally stock and the memory failed on that card in less than 2 months.

germanjulian said:
wahhhhhh 3V........ thats a lot...

unfortunalty I cannot awnser your question.... BUT just wanted to say

DAM UR CRAZY :)
Congratulations on a successful thread crap. :D

3v should be fine for your memory. Most memory should be up to handle that and more - a lot of people run at 3.2v and higher.

Like people said, some airflow over your memory is never a bad idea.

ram manufacturers always put in that they support 2.65v-2.95v but i know even up to 3.2v ram will still be able to handle it BUT your warranty gets voided if it gets damage :)

Back