• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OC too far on your NF7? Do not clear CMOS yet.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

The Coolest

I've been reading these forums for a long time and keep seeing people who just go and clear their BIOS when they OC their CPU too far. This is not necessary.
What you have to do is just shutdown your system, then unplug your PSU from power, wait a minute, plug it back in, and turn it on.
It will boot into the BIOS at CPUs default settings, while the settings that you set and saved will be selected. So all you'll need to do is tone them down a bit. This is a great way of recovering from a bad OC, its quick, easy, and you don't have to set all your BIOS settings from the loaded defaults.

Too late. I killed my NF7-S. I was trying for 220 X 11 and bang it froze. Tried to recover in bios but didnt have enough time. Computer kept shutting down while trying to save CMOS.

Wondering if I should salvage it with new Bios chip or return it. I really like the options but I can't have high temps. I gained 10C with defaults settings than previous mb (see sig below).

Ya Coolest Ive been doing that for a while.. works everytime for me :D

I just hold <INSERT> after turning off the PSU, and rebooting. That reloads the CMOS, and lets you start afresh; and you only need to flip your PSU switch twice, and then reboot while holding Insert ;).

More often than not this happens when pushing a chip, this mostly occurs when trying to grab a stable overclock at low voltages.

For example, 2300 Mhz will require a CMOS clear if I try to post at 1.3V :(.

Too late. I killed my NF7-S. I was trying for 220 X 11 and bang it froze. Tried to recover in bios but didnt have enough time. Computer kept shutting down while trying to save CMOS.

Mine does this all the time.... just reboot and hold insert till you here the <BEEP>

Back