• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hot Flash NF7-S Chip

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I did it, no problems- I bought my hot flash kit from excaliber, for the Abit NF-7S- don't know if they do Asus-

im pretty sure they do most every current bios they were allowed to buy rights to, which is abit exclusively. heh, that sucks for asus owners... you can get the bios savior device with a flashed chip. thats one solution. asus sells direct for solution number two, though someone told me its over 20 bucks. someone else told me you can send your bad bios chips for asus back to asus and for 10 bucks they will flash it for you. ill flash it for ya for 8. hahaha. someone from these forums should setup a flash station with an external socket like the savior and reap the big bucks. so many of us( myself included) have done the unthinkable.

obviously you wont need a solution for asus though, since your current asus bios is fine... i heard about some asus board revisions that wouldnt allow you to hot flash, but i also think there is a way around that.

i know ive actually used piggy back bios chips when modding car chips... hehehe... well, you just pull the first chip, find the ground pin (a close pic of the bios savior will help, as will a pin out of the bios chip) and bend it upwards and then outwards. you want it to stick out of the socket but not too high up. youll need to attach a ground wire to the sockets ground pin. take your second bios chip and bend the ground pin out and away from the first. solder some small wire that is coated to the ends of the chips. a small two inch length is plenty. buy a single pole dual position switch. coat your pins on the chips with plasti-dip or any sort of insulator. attach your two wires off the bios chips to the two positions on the switch, and then attach the ground pin in the socket to the main on the switch. jam your second bios chip in the socket real hard with a tad bit of heatsink glue on the underside making sure the pins make contact with the first bios chip. this is sketchy and tricky, but it works.

just turn off and switch the switch... bam. you can even buy a dead board on ebay to harvest a bios chip cheaper than you can buy a new working chip kit. flashing is safer than ever... homemade bios backup!

that said, i think the savoir is actually a 4meg chip, are the asus boards only a two meg? if so, i think this savoir chip is just a stacked chip with a switch on the ground pin just like i said.

i also just read about a few people who did the other way around... so long as your bios chip is nearly identical, its good to go i guess.

My Asus awardflash ver 8.23F could not find the *.bin file I had in the floppy to reflash the abit chip. I made sure I had typed it correctly. Man I was so close to salvaging the Abit chip. Then I ran into a new problem with my asus board with a CMOS checksum error. I was about to throw my baord away until someone suggested to recheck all bios settings and wholla I found the problem. I forgot to set my boot order to SCSI since I had SATA RAID....LOL. (DEFAULT is HDD-0)

Sniper.nkc said:
Has anyone attempted a hot flash using an Asus A7N8X Deluxe rev 2.0 mb to reload/reprogram an Abit NF7-S Bios Chip?

Can't do it. It won't let you. The file sizes are differenet.

Frumpco_ said:
Isn't there a /f switch or soemthing that will allow you to fource a diff make board bios for hotflashing? maybe I am just wishful thinking as well

Edit just a side note were was everyone 10 years ago today? (April 5) http://entertainment.msn.com/music/netcal/?netcal=850&GT1=3256

/end higjack

Who cares. I haven't heard Nirvana all day, and Im not going to play any.

People that kill themselves are pathetic, and all proof of their existance should be destroyed.

Back