• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

looking for new board

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Red_rose

Registered
im looking for a new board to replce my Amptron 825 with. here are a few things id like it to have

Cost - $45 to $55

FSB of 200 , 266 , 333 ,and 400

i want to slightly overclcock ny 2200

im looking at this This Board

but if anyone has anymore options they will be nice

Thank you for your Time

If you're going to overclock your PC you might want to spend a little bit more than that. The board looks nice, but Gigabyte as a company is a little questionable. Some of the major companies get great reviews ex: Abit, Asus, MSI. My brother has a MSI NEO2 board and although he's a P4 user, the board works great and he's gotten a 900Mhz overclock on it. I doubt the Gigabyte could achieve that. The 400Mhz FSB sounds nice though. So, if you can't wait and spend a bit more go ahead, but I'm looking at a new board too and am looking at the Abit NF7 board for its overclock ability and range of use: voltage, clock, memory.....
From what I've seen and read after about a week of research, try to go with a board with a Nvidia or Nforce chipset. They get great performance reviews. Hope this helped a little.

Enduro

well Im not to worry about getting a big over clock.I picked that board becuase deadman311 got 2ghz out of it with a athlon xp 2000..and too thats all the money I got because I want to get other things too...and thank u for reply and I will look more into the brands that u said

Does anyone have any more ideas for me...because I will be ordering it colse to a week

dead_man311 said:
Tracert how reliable is that Chaintech , my local store sells them and the guy said 4 out 5 chaintech boards are returnded

I would doubt that many are returned. They arent known for holding high OC's, but if you keep it slightly OC'ed or near stock, it should be rock solid. I would go with the Chaintech over the Gigabyte

TheTick said:

I would doubt that many are returned. They arent known for holding high OC's, but if you keep it slightly OC'ed or near stock, it should be rock solid. I would go with the Chaintech over the Gigabyte
thats good to hear...well I will think about it and look at it and see what I think and talk it over with deadman311

I have used Chaintech a few times in the past but never with big OC's. Never had any major problems. I think I did have to return one Motherboard to the manufacture but I believe they fixed it and returned it pretty promptly.

Red_rose said:
im looking for a new board to replce my Amptron 825 with.

Hey Red,

I was looking over your system and was wondering why you were replacing your motherboard before your video card? Just looking at your equipment in your signature, even though your motherboard could be seen as a bottleneck, esp with the SDRAM, I would think your video card is probably the biggest bottleneck on your system right now, seeing as your current card has no Hardware T&L.

If I were you I would consider spending the same money on another video card (of course that is only if you use the system for 3D gaming and if that is where you want to see the improvement). Even a Radeon 9000 would be a huge upgrade to what you have.

For example, for the same dollars your looking to spend you could get this http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-163-103&depa=0

That would go a long ways to increasing your FPS if that is what your after, (and as long as your Power supply would handle the load).

Just MHO.

P.S. You did plan on replacing your ram with DDR correct? This would add a bit to your pricetag as well, unless you have the ram already.

Re: Re: looking for new board

Tracert said:

Hey Red,

I was looking over your system and was wondering why you were replacing your motherboard before your video card? Just looking at your equipment in your signature, even though your motherboard could be seen as a bottleneck, esp with the SDRAM, I would think your video card is probably the biggest bottleneck on your system right now, seeing as your current card has no Hardware T&L.

If I were you I would consider spending the same money on another video card (of course that is only if you use the system for 3D gaming and if that is where you want to see the improvement). Even a Radeon 9000 would be a huge upgrade to what you have.

For example, for the same dollars your looking to spend you could get this http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-163-103&depa=0

That would go a long ways to increasing your FPS if that is what your after, (and as long as your Power supply would handle the load).

Just MHO.

P.S. You did plan on replacing your ram with DDR correct? This would add a bit to your pricetag as well, unless you have the ram already.
I had a 2000 it was running the board just fine and then when it blow amd gave me a 2200 and doesn't like my borad and its running ify......and I want to be able to oc alil....and my video card I will be upgradeding it later on..and ram I will be getting ddr soon.

I am gonig to order that chaintech board as soon as my taxes come in sould be in a few days

Last edited:
Back