• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Corsair XMS vs Kingston value

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JaviZ

Registered
I'd like to know which ram should i get for my Abit AN7 (nforce2 chipset) in order to get maximum performance (keeping stability).

Currently i have two options in my local stores:

1) Kingston 2 x 256MB DDR PC2700 (that nice winbond BH-5) (dual channel)
2) Corsair CMX512-2700LLPT 512MB DDR333 XMS2700 (single channel, includes heatspeader) (don't know if this stick is CH-5 or BH-5).

I'd like you to post your timings if you have some of these ram models, and how many volts are you sending to the,. I'd like to know if i can run them at 2-2-2-8 or 2-2-2-11 on my mobo, and of course if i can send the needed volds without mods to the AN7.

BTW: i'm aiming at 220Mhz for FSB.

BTW2: i've heard that dual channel can give you just around 5% more (performance) under amd's mobo's... Is that true?

thx for your answers guys!

Personally, I wouldn't get either if you're going for 220MHz with tight timings. Most likely, they'll be speed-binned CH5 chips (or worse). But if you have no other choice, get the XMS. And yes, DCDDR on an AMD board yields little gain.

~THT

ooops, and this makes a tie! (assuming Corsair CMX512-2700LLPT has not BH-5 (i can not see the chips)).

More comments?

Another question: Besides good timing, as i said, i want a good fsb (220mhz or so), these DDR333 will make it posible or DDR400 is a must here?

Back