• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

where to find new bios chip?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I've sent out an email to dfi about this (saturday 2 days ago) and haven't heard back yet.

I've pm'd Angry_Games @ amdmb.com (he's an official dfi paid dude monitoring their dfi mobo forum) and haven't heard anything back yet.

I have heard in (his?) posts that dfi will take bios chips and replace them (they send out a different one and reprogram the one you send in). But I don't know where to send it etc.

Nonetheless, I've got no gamin machine since Friday night--72 hours :( and counting.

I do have an Abit nf7-s due to arrive tomorrow though.

Thanks for the link, I'll check it out.

when you get your NF7-s, why not try to hotflash the BIOS chip from your DFI? It would save you the time of mailing the old one in, and waiting for a new. And if you ever break it again (errr... if it ever breaks again) you'll know how to fix it.

<3 hotflashing

you can try badflash.com, and dont expect to hear back from dfi, its been two weeks and i have yet to get response muchless an answer. (Last time I buy from this second rate company). I ve been without a gaming machine for three weeks now, DFI and its shotty motherboard are responsiable for two of those three weeks, and now it is gonna be four or five, depending when i mail my bad bios in.

masterwoot said:
tell me more bout hotflashing (plz)

you start up your NF7-S, and boot to a floppy.

When it's at the command prompt, you pop out the BIOS chip on your Abit, and pop in the corrupt BIOS chip from the DFI.
Then, flash the BIOS. A:\ AWDFLASH.EXE BIOS.BIN /tiny

the /tiny switch tells the BIOS to overwrite everything.
If it tells you that the BIOS version doesn't match the model or something like that, then force the flash with "/f" instead of /tiny.

When it's done flashing, it will tell you to reboot. DON'T REBOOT.
Turn the Abit mobo OFF.

Then, switch the BIOS chips back, and you're good to go on the DFI.

I had to do this three times in one night when I first got my board :(

No corrupt BIOS since then though.

badflash.com or OC.com member tMod

I've ordered from both with good results. I have three bios chips now....two bad, one good. Then i learned about hot flashing :-( You can only hotflash if you have a good working chip though to POST on

So if I mail someone my bios chip and a 3.5 with the bios i need, will you do that for me? just private message me or something if someone is willing, cause mine for my ultra B is dead too

Hydr0 Styles, you're my hero!!!!
The bios chip took the hotflash. I kept getting some error before 'bout some components not matching etc.

I'm off to check out if it'll run now!

well, the bios chip should've worked, but i still have the 4 LED's o death. hmmm, will reflash again and look at the situation tomorrow when i'm not so tired. thnx again

Hydr0 Styles:

Thank you so much for that info, it saved me $100 for a new mobo. I was able to hotflash my DFI NFII UI with another UI using the /tiny parameter. At first, it gave me a warning that it would lose the BIOS signature, and because I was worried about that, I used the /f parameter instead. When I did that, the flashing process froze up. Next I tried the flashing process with no parameters and it flashed, but didn't work after restarting. After realizing I had nothing else to lose, I used the /tiny command and all worked successfully. Thanks again.

no problem... these are quirky little boards, but once you know how to treat it, they are quite enjoyable.

The first few days that I had my LP, I was clearing the CMOS, rebooting, flashing, hotflashing SO many times, it was insane. Now it's been running fine for about two months.

masterwoot said:
well, the bios chip should've worked, but i still have the 4 LED's o death. hmmm, will reflash again and look at the situation tomorrow when i'm not so tired. thnx again

Wait a second.. unless they changed their LED's, It could be video.. test that yet? Its been a LONG time, but I used to have a LP, and either it killed my Ti4200, or it just decided to die RIGHT after I got it together, I was conatantly getting 4LED's no matter what I tried >_< So i sent it back to newegg, and RMA'd my video.. my a7n8x works fine now tho...

I may be wrong, cuz its been a while tho :p

Back