• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A7N8X Deluxe is better than NF7-S

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sniper.nkc

I just bought an Abit NF7-S rev 2.0. I noticed the temps are higher by 10C's than my Asus board. The MOSFETS are running hotter than previous version and they are located to close to the CPU socket and sensor. I switched back to my Asus board and now I am reading lower temps. This is for your information if you are contemplating on getting an ABIT.

I do have to admit the bios is awesome on abit. Much more features to overclock.

the temp sensors built on motherboards often do not compare accurately across different brands and models.

I agree with that assessment, and I did ignored the high temps, but I also found Abit not wanting to share temp sensor infomation for NF7-S, making 3rd party software useless, i.e MBM5. The Health Doctor Utility on Abit gave the SAME Information on System 1 and CPU temps as I found with MBM5. I was unable to determine if I am reading the socket or diode temp. Not acurately knowing if temps are good does not sit well with me, especially when I see a 10C jump.

Assus does a fine job with temps and keeping the MB cool in comparison to Abit.

I really think software temperature sharing abilities is a TERRIBLE way to assess the quality of one board versus another.

And I second what the other guy said about temps not being comparable from one board to the next...

to put an end to the argument:

BOTH boards are excellent, its up to your which features you would like.
someone choosing between these 2 likely would be very satisfied with either.

^^ Very true. Also BIOS corruption is a attribute that you failed to mention about Asus.

Ill take a hot runnin board any day over a corruptor. Also, you didnt mention the Asus's lack of FSB potential

Abit Board Bios corrupts the same as Asus, maybe not as often as Asus . I just RMAed my NF7-S because the bios chip is gone from OCing. Bios chip failures will happen to any motherboard. But I do must admit, I was trying to hit 220 X 11 with abit board. I can't do that with Asus with current config w/tight timings.

yeah the bios corruption is commun probleme in all nforce borad i had rmas ed 3 asus a7n8x due at bios corruption know mine is working fine never head about it the bios look stable enough
the asus borad also overclock as well like mine for explme i runnig rock solid 230*11 24/24
chipset 1.8v cpu 1.8
with some tweaking anyone can get those asus board flying at high fsb
my freind has just got nf7 rev2 it cant go higher than 175fsb without trouble
mobo may be bios update, bad cpu...
dont know but i will test and post the result so the Asus's lack of FSB is also with abit board
asus is good board abit also
abit sure can go abit higher but not to high

i had both, i significantly prefer the abit. Nicer bios the mosfets even while running UT2004 is warm to the touch (then again i've only got the 2500+ at 2ghz) northbridge seems cool (replaced the stock with a zalman passive) and the temp seems reasonable considering the processor,OC, and heatsink/fan used. My asus board barely worked, this is a nice change, not to mention real real nice options in the bios.

Rich

i am know testing borth borad i will post result soon
i will test them with the same setting and see witch one is more reliable
wait for result...

So you have come to the conclusion that the ASUS board is superior to the ABIT because ya had trouble getting MBM to work?

LOL! The ASUS is a turd. You don't want the abit, send it to me. I'll trade you strait across right now, put up or shaddup....

with some tweaking anyone can get those asus board flying at high fsb

Oh, so i guess the 1000's of people that complain about it are all doing it wrong. So sport, whats the secret?

Just admit that ya was brown nosing, cause your post is nothing more than that.

Last edited:
Clash:

The newer NF7-S boards with rev 2.0 are not the same. Some have complained not hitting higher speeds and some have complain about heat. I need to do some more research. I know not all boards are not the same, but there is a general consensus about the comments I made. I will wait and see if the new boards with rev 2.0 are the same or in fact different.

clash asus a7n8x (rev 2.0) are builded to support 400fsb that mean getting
200fsb is not had at all form those mobo as rule overclocking =10% mean 200*10/100= +/-20
may be some people requiring better ram my be better cooling(barton cpu are not builded the same i had 2 crapy chip that can t do 175*11 with 1.9v) ,better psu.
i had 4 asus motherboard and never get a probleme to get them at least at 220fsb runing at sync
1)a good barton chip (one that can overclock well) or DLT3C
2)good ram something like pc3500 may be higher:)
3)good cooling and psu
4)voltmod chipset (set them 1.7v~1.85v)
bios setting memory buy SPD (may be u need to rlax the timnig if u have some good ram at 230 i use 11-4-4-2.5 )
AGP freQ 66mhz
cpu at 10000000mhz :)
and post result

EDIT:the abit nf7 is better than asus a7n8x but not by far (asus also good mobo maybe not oc as much as abit but it reliable and stable)

Last edited:
T1mex replied; "BOTH boards are excellent, its up to your which features you would like."

There you go. It boils down to personal experience and features preference.

I got an old NF7 V 1.1 from newegg for $43. and that puppy ain't missed a beat since first boot, then got a new A7N8X-X and nothing but an aggrivation and mucho problems, so go figure.

Last edited:
my eperience was the opposite of huneycutt's. i had both a7n8x, and nf7-s. a7n8x was working perfect until a bad oc try killed it, then i got the nf7-s which never posted from the start - it was the notorious rev.2 . while it was here, i noticed a big difference in temp, i could feel it runs a lot hotter than a7n8x, especially the southbridge, which was very hot. if the southbridge is hot like than everything else must be hotter overall.

there's no way id compare an asus a7n8x to an nf7-s. if the bios reports high temps its becuase you have an older bios - update it.

makaka - lately there has been a huge problem with asus boards and getting to 200mhz fsb. a lot of them just arent doing it. My friend had one such board. wouldn't do above 180mhz without complaining. then the board died from bios corruption:rolleyes:

After that, i replaced it with a new abit nf7-s v2.4 and it was running rock solid 210mhz with the same equipement straight out of the box. every a7n8x ive seen in person couldnt hold a candle to the stability or overclockablility of the nf7's ive seen.

You da' man James! Yeah, . . . all said & done, I'll stick with my old bullet proof, tried and true ABIT NF7 V1.1.
The new AN7 sounds like a trip but going to wait a few months and maybe upgrade. Picked this ole ABIT gal up refurb at newegg for $43.00 and 'prolly one of the best deals I ever got 'cause she ain't missed a stroke since first boot.

Back