• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

explain this!!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mynihilism

In my previous thread asking for suggestions on ram to get i decided to get some Samsung pc3700 from komusa.

I got the ram toda and put it in the first 2 slots and powered on the machine. bios recognized it fine and the settings were set to auto for the ram speed settings. rebooted the pc. when it gets to loading windows this time it comes up saying that my mobo is not capable of advanced power configuration..... Ok i've seen that before and it was caused by ram... i start getting disgruntled.
i move the sticks around and to no avail. So i take a 512 stick of mushkin pc2700 and throw that in the first slot with the komusa ram in the last 2. it boots up and into windows fine and stable. I play around with it to see how it runs with 1.5gb of ram in it, run Battlefield Vietnam and SETI for a while then shut off the machine. Pulled out the mushkin and gave it one last chance before i gave up and used that ram in a different machine, THE DAMN THING BOOTS UP AND RUNS FINE!!

so how does it go from HATING that ram to all of a sudden liking it? I'm confused as to what happened. No changes were made in the bios or anything after i pulled that stick of mushkin.

It likely pulled SPD timings from your Mushkin ram and is still using them for your Samsung / Komusa ram. That would be my best bet...

i have powered off the pc and did multiple reboots with it and its still working fine. So you think those timing are set in the bios now and that is the reason that it is working........ interesting.

Albuquerque said:
It likely pulled SPD timings from your Mushkin ram and is still using them for your Samsung / Komusa ram. That would be my best bet...

good observation ,i wouldve missed that one..

Burn in? :)

Maybe you had a spec of dust ;) I get that a LOT! My a7n8x and my 947U, the first Dimm slot is uaually covered in dust from it, and my cruicial sometimes fails to let me post, even when I never even touched it. i move it, and boots fine. Maybe it burnt in ;) I believe in burning in. My crucial origonally wouldnt run past 210FSB, upped voltage to 2.8 and got 215. after a week or two, I could magicaly hit 223 :)

well i think b4 the factory send it out, they test/burn-in it already... don't they? :)

Back