• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1:1 vs 5:4

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BlueGuy

Registered
how much actual performace increase will there be (in actual applications like games and such) going from a 5:4 fsb:ddr ratio to 1:1? if it's significant, I'm considering a motherboard upgrade so I can give my ram more volts than 2.85. thank you..

I'm assuming you are talking about Intel systems. In games, you probably won't tell much at all between the two. It's the memory intensive apps that make the biggest differences. If you can run tight timings at 5:4 ratio, that's not really much different than 1:1 ratio if you have to use relaxed timings. Really, what helps performance the most is higher FSB. Choose whichever ratio gives you the highest stable overclock at the best timings.

yes this is a 3.0c running at a 246 fsb on a p4c800. i can get 2-2-2-5 timings with a 5:4 divider but i have to butcher my timings and fsb to run a 1:1 ratio. i'm just trying to figure out if it would be worth it to do a volt mod or buy an AI7

Just run tight timings 5:4 and be happy with that.

Buying a another motherboard 865 chipset is asking for trouble 1:1. Since it very possible your end up with graphic artifacts during games, some boards will do it and some wont, you just got to hope you get a good one. They seem to be a gamble no matter what brand you get
AI7 I have will artifact 1:1 at even below 220, it not until I move my memory to slot 2+4 that I can reach 225fsb 1:1. Ive tryed BH-5 chips and CH-5 chips. The BH-5 was better. Single channel had no artifacts
Heres a thread about the same thing but with an P4P800 board:
http://www.abxzone.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=62275&perpage=15&pagenumber=1

Save yourself the hassle and your money. If games are what you do most then 5:4 with those tight timing are perfect. Other than that I dont think your notice much difference with 1:1 doing what ever it is your doing.

hmm ok.. well i wont get another board, but what do yall think about volt modding it?

Back