• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking for automatic memory OC utility

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pvanosta

Is there such a thing? I know it exists for video cards, where it automatically cranks up the speed on the GPU and/or the memory, to find the highest stable speed without artifacts.

Is there such a thing for RAM chips, where the system would automatically test the memory at higher and higher speeds until errors start occurring?

I think Soltek (or was it Soyo?) motherboards used to have a utility called RedStorm or something that tried to find a max OC for you. It never really caught on though. These days it's hard enough to find a reliable Windows program to just overclock your CPU and RAM with manually - I doubt you'll find an automatic one. Also, testing a stable overclock takes longer than an artifact tester on video cards.

Overclocking is about doing it yourself anyway. :D

Your ram is clocked in-line with your front side bus, so you cannot crank up your ram speed without overclocking the entire system.

For example: if you want your ram to do 533mhz DDR, that means your front side bus has to be doing 266mhz. If your CPU isn't able to run that fast, then quite simply your ram will never run that fast either.

I have Komusa PC4200 (533mhz) memory in my system that's only doing PC4000 (500mhz) because my processor simply can't do anything faster than 250FSB...

Thank you for your responses.
I was trying to take a shortcut (getting an SL6WU 3.0c to replace my trusted 2.4c).
Currently my memory is running at 220 (275 at 5/4) fsb. With my 3.0c, I'll probably end up doing the same, but with more aggressive latency timings at 200 (250 at 5/4) or so.

Back