• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Should I jump on the BH-6 bandwagon?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Silent Buddha

Well, I'm upgrading and considering getting 2x 512MB Mushkin PC3200 2-2-2- Special for ~$320 at newegg. Is it worth it? I'm going to be running a Mobile Barton and a DFI Ultra Infinity, with watercooling. I'm going to aim for 230-250MHz FSB at sync. This is attainable with the Vdimm 3.3V limit on the DFI is it not? I am only doling out this much money for ram because I hear it is the only Winbond BH-6 chips left. Plus, Mushkin appears to only have a few months supply left. Obviously prices have skyrocketed but I can't really get any BH-5 anymore, or BH-6 for that matter. KHX PC3000 seems to have ditched BH-5 long ago, and there are no Corsair PC3500LL rev 1.1 anywhere. OCZ also ran out.

What should I do?

Since one of my bh-5 sticks went bad I have jumped on the CH-5 wagon(if there is such a thing).
Rumor has it that winbond is stopping production of even CH-5 and is getting out of the memory bussiness. I brought another cheapo 512mb stick of CH-5 today based on this and the potential that prices could rise further still due to supply and demand. Look like its really going to get harder to find low latency ram from now on.
If you want all 2 of cas then go the BH-6 otherwise get grab a couple of cheap CH-5 sticks and throw 3.3v at them. Both the corsair and the cheap twinmos will do 235mhz @ 2-3-2-5 with 3.25v, it doesnt like the GAT setting much as my BH-5 did and the 5:4 divider, your using AMD so I guess your be right. CH-5 does ok at low voltages too.
Your right so hard to find now. Best of luck with your BH-5 or BH-6 search, if your really want it that bad yourll get it somewhere but it will cost you time and money.
Might be time for peoples to embrace CH-5 before that to becomes a has been. Theres not much else to consider after that.

quote from corsair interview:
4. Clock speed or latency?

In short, we recommend 3200LL memory for AMD platforms and high clock speed memory (eg. 4000) for Intel platforms. Unfortunately low latency DRAM chips are getting more and more scarce, while high clock speed DRAMs are becoming less hard to find.

Coming from a cheap person who bought 512mb of ch-5 memory for $80, seeing you guys pay twice that much just for 2-2-2 and maybe 60mhz more is crazy to me :) I'm not flaming or anything becuase if I had the funds I'd be paying (if I could find any) for bh-5/6 too.

230$ stick selling for 315$. I couldnt bring myself to do it. knowing full well that Im paying 85$ over normal profitable price for nothing physical, just due to scarcity.

I bought CH5 kingston 3000 for 180$. 135$ cheaper than the almighty BH chips. 135$ is alot of money and can do alot of things is the benefit of BH chips worth THAT much?

ares350 said:
230$ stick selling for 315$. I couldnt bring myself to do it. knowing full well that Im paying 85$ over normal profitable price for nothing physical, just due to scarcity.

I bought CH5 kingston 3000 for 180$. 135$ cheaper than the almighty BH chips. 135$ is alot of money and can do alot of things is the benefit of BH chips worth THAT much?

The 2x512 222 sets are up to $350 now.... I paid $225 for mine.

Just be carefull with the KHX3000. With the non BH-5 chips I had could not do over 190MHz stable with them. They would memtest to speeds well above 200MHz, but prime, games, and windows had problems at anything above 190MHz. Changing timings or voltages made no difference at all. The BH-5 chip however worked great well above 200MHz no prob.

I forked over 315 for it. I've never seen ram jump price like that in a period of 1-2 weeks. It was like 230 not too long ago. I hope it works as well as people say in my new system:)

for sheer value, I couldnt pass up the kingston. no doubt the 300$ sticks are superior, but no way 150$ or more superior.

just my thoughts. thats almost twice as much.

Ill take the 150 I saved, add 100 too it, and buy the new best ram in a year. rather than BH5 sticks that will be old in 2 years.

only good news about BH5, you can buy it, use it for 2-3 months, and turn around and sell it on ebay for a 50$ profit when its completely out of stock.

Back