• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hit the OCing Wall. Is Memory To Blame?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dicecca112

I can't seem to get my CPU (see sig) right now @ 2.39GHZ @1.8Vcore amd 2.8Vdimm, above 2.4. Won't stay prime stable. Will boot to windows but restarts 1-2mins into Prime Torture. Could it be my memory that is holding me back?

It is also a Thoroughbred B, Unlocked, according to CPU-z it is Family 6, Model 8, Stepping 1. Ext. Family 7, Ext Model 8 and Revision B0

Ram timins are 170mhz, FSB : DRAM 1:1, 2.5-4-4-8

Absolute best way to tell is to download Memtest86; do a google for it. Find it in ISO format, burn it to CD, boot it up and let it do a complete runthrough.

If Memtest runs through and gives you a landslide of errors, it's your ram. If it locks up or abends, it's your processor or maybe your northbridge voltage. I've noticed on my own system when using my 2.4C at 3.4ghz (284FSB) I have to run my AGP voltage (shared with northbridge voltage on my motherboard) at 1.8v.

Back