• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1Gig mixed PC3200 & 2700 or 768Mb PC3200

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

thinksnow

I've got, as my sig says, one stick of 512Mb Kingston HyperX PC2700 and two sticks of 256Mb Geil PC3200 ("CL= 2-6-3-3 Ultra" is what it says on the stick.)

I can trade out the Kingston for another stick of the Geil, giving me all PC3200, but less memory. I'm only looking for a modest OC in the 200MHz or thereabouts and have been stuck at 183-ish thus far, which may or may not be memory related thus far.

Given that I game, rip DVD's and do some PVR/HTPC and am single-channel only, would my system benefit from having all of the memory rated for the same speed, or from having the increased memory? I don't have the opportunity to try it out with the three sticks of Geil beforehand, as whichever one I don't take will be shipping out on a friends-friends computer pretty soon.

According to his post he'll be missing 512, not 256.

I think you should ditch that PC27000, cuz it is what is holding you back. It's spec'd to run @ 333, and you have it @ 372mhz. Once you get rid of that ram you could theoretically reach 200fsb just to get the ram to it's stock speed. That is if the CPU you have can handle it.

I would go with less, but faster. I doubt you will need all of 1Gb, you may be able to push the FSB higher, or run tighter timings.

Re: Re: 1Gig mixed PC3200 & 2700 or 768Mb PC3200

NinjaWreck
According to his post he'll be missing 512, not 256.
No, I'd be trading the 512 for a third 256, so I'd be down 256 if I did it, which it sounds like it is the thing to do.

Thanks for the heads up, everyone.

k, well I didn't understand I guess. You won't notice a difference between 1gig and 768 unless you are going from dual channel to single.

Back