• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Question about Hyper X

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

russm

I am about to buy some dual channel memory, most likly going with the hyper x, i am running an overclocked 2400+. this is my question, i was going to buy pc3200 with the timings like 2-2-3-x or whatever. and its $299 for the 1gb kit. but the 1gb kit of pc 3700 is $250. and the timings are like 3-4-4-x... since im not going to be running anywhere near 466mhz. i will be able to run lower timings on that memory right? i will probly be running around 320-340mhz. so is it safe to assume i will be able to run lower latencys at that speed, and save some money?

Well, Right off the top i know it is running CH-5 Chips in the pc3700..and the thing is why the price is lower is because the the timmings are more relaxed...they most likey wont be able to run tight timmings even at a certain amount of voltage...CH-5 just doesnt like it like BH-5/6 does....if your worried about timmings then go with the 2-2-3-x..if not save your self some money...but if you want even better timmings get some Mushkin Pc3200 222 special that will be cheap also and u can OC them outta this world with good voltage...

Neither man get a gig of the hyperx pc3000 it will do FSB speeds over 200 easily and the price is not marked up like the 3200 hyperx. 220 for a gig instead of 299
Dont pay the premiums unless you have too.

actually its 180$ unless the sale ended.

even if its not the best ram, it is the best value.

FWIW, not all of the KHX3000 will do 200MHz *stable*. They will run at speeds upwards of 215MHz or so, but stability wise they are no good above 190 for the non BH-5 variety. I ordered four sticks about a month ago. Only one of the four was BH-5.

I agree that $185 for a gig is a steal at todays prices. Just don't expect miracles from them O/C wise.

I would agree, and I havent even used the ram.

if you want the best OC its still BH5, but there is no second place it seems. theres BH5 on a pedestal and everyone else on more or less equal ground way way below.

either go for the gold, or get one of the others at a good price atleast. it is a bit above par, atleast at regular speeds it can support 2-2-2 timings, cant complain too much about that.

russm said:
I am about to buy some dual channel memory, most likly going with the hyper x, i am running an overclocked 2400+. this is my question, i was going to buy pc3200 with the timings like 2-2-3-x or whatever. and its $299 for the 1gb kit. but the 1gb kit of pc 3700 is $250. and the timings are like 3-4-4-x... since im not going to be running anywhere near 466mhz. i will be able to run lower timings on that memory right? i will probly be running around 320-340mhz. so is it safe to assume i will be able to run lower latencys at that speed, and save some money?

Well if you're running 320-340mhz ddr you could go with hyperx pc 2700 even. That will run 2-2-2 timings at that speed. Now if your thinking of upgrading your mobo in the near future, the mushkin 2 2 2 special ram has bh6 ram which overclocks really well(230 + fsb), but you need alot of voltage (3.0+).

I wouldn't recommend buying the hyperx pc 3700, because the timings are so loose. Running fast, loose ram at slower speeds doesn't necessarily guarantee tight timings.

Back