• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Are the Major DDR RAM Manufactures Turning their backs on AMD users?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bugeyes

With the departure of Winbond from DDR RAM market, AMD users are left with no manufactures producing low latency ram!
While Intel users seem to have a smorgasbord of high megahertz ram to choose from!

While I realize that the market share for low latency ram is a lot smaller, there still is a definite need for ram that can do CAS 2,2,2,6 at 200 to 250MHz!
It just seems like we AMD users have been forgotten about!

DDR as we know it won't be around much longer. The next set of Opterons/A64s will probably use DDR2. I wouldn't say we're being left out in the cold intentionally; it's more of circumstances aligning just right to bite us in the butt.

~THT

Yeah, there's no plot against AMD, although they won't be moving to DDRII for a while. We'll just have to make do with old Winbond stuff or with RAM from other manufacturers.

Its just time to move on. The good ol' XP has been around for a while and is just getting out dated. Plus like the others said the newer boards will use DDR2.

Top Hat Theater said:
DDR as we know it won't be around much longer. The next set of Opterons/A64s will probably use DDR2. I wouldn't say we're being left out in the cold intentionally; it's more of circumstances aligning just right to bite us in the butt.

~THT

I have to agree...

infact we intel peeps love and need BH-5 memory just as badly as AMD folks.

I for one would rather have some good old BH-5 sticks and run at 5:4 ratio then to run at 1:1 ratio and slow @SS timmings.
with the way intel made the memory ratios, 5:4 can sometimes be faster then 1:1 ratio....when the 1:1 ratio must run at poor timmings.

sad.

mica

Technically, AMD could easily decrease the HT divider for the memory bus and make it 4 when they switch to a 1GHz Hyper-Transport. 1000MHz/4=250MHz, so that would be a DDR500 requirement. Unlikely that AMD would do that, but it's possible. Otherwise, we're going to get shafted since AMD isn't going to put DDR2 into play until 2005. The A64s don't have it that bad, they have on-die memory controllers which decrease the latency anyway.

I donno if this is the case, but Id bet manufactures are rathering to increase the overall speed not latency. till I came to this forum Id never heard of latency, it was a spec that made no difference to me.

just like 2 years ago I though AMD sucked cause their mhz was lower. 99% of the market has a very limited knowledge of PCs and their specs. its only wise to make PC4000 ram, cause it sounds fast. walk in and see 2 sets of ram once 3200 the other 4000, if the price is the same 9 out of 10 people will take the 4000 regaurdless of what else is involved.

AMD are staying DDR1 for at least another 12 months maybe longer.

Reason...

DDR2 has to high latency to bring about a huge speed increase.

AMD are moving to a 250MHZ bus using DDR1 DDR500.Latency is already at 3-3-3 or 3-2-3 and will soon be 2.5-2-3 or better at this speed.

2-2-2 may never happen again but you will get ram thats damn close.

PunkRawk911 said:
Doesn't corsair still make their Low Latency memory sticks?
I won 1 GByte of Corsair TwinX-3200LLPRO from Gruntville.com recently. It is 2 3 2 2 which is very LL. Came with heat spreaders and lights.:cool:

PunkRawk911 said:
Doesn't corsair still make their Low Latency memory sticks?

They do but its only guarenteed to 2.5 3-3-6 now on AMD platforms:

Spec Change Notice
All XMS-3200C2 products are now rated at DDR400 2-3-3-6 latency on Intel platforms and DDR400 2.5-3-3-6 latency on AMD platforms. See spec sheets for details by clicking on the part number in the charts on the XMS Product Page.

http://www.corsairmicro.com/ << Bottom of the light blue column :(

Back