• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Memory Prices Have Gone Up

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

neo_18

Been looking at ram. and on some brands it hase jumped up 20$-60$.. it seems that this just happend this week.

Neo

yup, BH5 muskin went up 85$.

apparently a few things happened, some big stick supplier had to dump like 10,000 sticks.

and the political unrest in taiwan has made that economy rather shaky.

I grabbed kingston on sale, and Id reccomend anyone wanting ram to wait 2-3months for this to blow over. unless you want BH5, then thats a now or never kinda thing.

no kidding.. i was going to pick sum up today and when called i was like whats the price on that. it was $25 more b4 tax on the same stick i just got under a month ago... so ill be holdin out on this for a bit, till prices come back down.

Neo

Well the increased amount on most highperformance ram is that Winbond doesnt make bh5 , bh6 , and ch5 . All i can say is mushkin better find cheap good ics if they still want to be around!

yes i have seen the same thing happen i had bought a stick of pc 2100 a while ago like last summer for 40dollars and now it is like 60 heh

Prices supposedly went up because Winbond is pulling out of the memory business.

That's just what I heard.

I'm not sure how much Winbond is really having an affect on the global market. According to Infrastructure news and Asian printed news it is due to 3 reasons.
1. Spot market is higher than demand by a gap of roughly 10%
2. Many wafer foundrys are switching over to 0.11u (8 inch to 12 inch wafers)
3. Micron is having problems switching over to new fab and reducing global supply. Rumors - no real info.

As much as Winbond used to make great chips... they are not a significant factor in chip prices since they are leaving the foundry business.

But whatever the actual causes ... right now memory prices are at an all time high in the last 2 years.
http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/afp_asiapacific_business/view/79233/1/.html
http://www.digitimes.com/NewsShow/Article.asp?datePublish=2004/04/07&pages=PR&seq=201

what i noticed with a site is that if u put them on ur shopping cart and not buy it for 3 days, the next time you refresh, it has gone up already hehehe :)

Back