• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FarCry running choppy

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Lol, well of course your gf4 can run it in Dx8 mode with 90% of the foilage reduced. My 9500 was brought to its knees in a forest area at 1024 highest settings, no aa and 2x af. But it was incredible to look at. I dont know if you saw the screenies I posted a while back(I lost them in a format) but this game is unreal. You can force it to not have a draw distance in the demo, but at 640x480 highest settings, my 9500 was getting 1 fram every 4 seconds from your starting point in the boat.

EDIT: Look here. http://www.farcry.ubi.com/screenshots.php

Of course, thats highest settings in game, but only at 800x600 or some other low res. It is also w/o AA or AF. I think it looks pretty good considering.

Last edited:
I also get the choppiness that you refer to when playing with the setup in my sig no matter what settings/driver I use.
Funny thing is, the game ran smoothly with my FX5600 in the same setup. I had to reduce the game detail but it ran smoothly nonetheless.
Very odd.

Albuquerque said:
I edited my post a little, please note my top mention of the sysspec qualifier and the screenshot. Whether you're noticing it or not, there's a considerable difference between what your rig is rendering and what your friend's rig is rendering on the 9800.

Here's a screenshot of one of the differences:
http://www.hyundaiproject.com/farcry/FarCry0007.jpg
Look in the water reflection, and notice that the jeep and all the trees are being reflected. So is fire, smoke, and other badguys. You can't enable that on your hardware, it physically won't let you.

forget it.
OC550 just doesn't get it.

he can sit here all day and tell me his screenshots look the same as a 9800pro....I know they don't.

far cry isn't the only game in town that defalts to a lower setting do to hardware, in order to alow proper framerate...
but it seems to be one of the biggest violators (if you want to call it that) right now.

I was replying to him about a game last night, that he thought he would do well....yet he doesn't realise that if he was able to force all the detail that I was running (minus the PS2.0) he would never get the results he thinks he would get.

you have to understand that even though I've repeatedly shown how good AF is in todays games, he still doesn't see the diff between no AF and 8xAF....
now if he can't tell the diff of with or without AF, how is he going to tell the diff between two screen shots that are side by side?

now, what if his comparisons are NOT done in a side by side or with saved screenshots....meaning, all he did was go to his friend's house and watch his friend play the game.

what he needs to think about is just what does he realy think he'll do with only 512mb of system ram, then, doesn't he only have 64mb of vid ram???
(the biggest reason for OC550 getting higher framerates with a lower setting was do to having only 512mb of system ram)

he also needs to get off this kick about win2k....winxp is great once you get rid of the bloatware...:rolleyes:

mica

Last edited:
sLk said:
I also get the choppiness that you refer to when playing with the setup in my sig no matter what settings/driver I use.
Funny thing is, the game ran smoothly with my FX5600 in the same setup. I had to reduce the game detail but it ran smoothly nonetheless.
Very odd.

you only have 512mb of system memory, and while it might force some things to a lower setting it may be overlooking something...
try lowering a few things till you get better frame rates.

also, Yuriman is right, when using the 5600 you were forced into DX8.0 mode (PS1.1)

btw, try CAT3.7, this is a great driver for this and many other games like BF:V

mica

win 2k comes unbloated, why work on fixing win xp? I dont like the interface of xp and its still slower, about 10% slower LOL. win 2k is for pros like me! mines a professional verson and 2k gives u more 3dmarks as well! let me upload my screenshot:

enterjungle.jpg

can anyone take their own screenshot in the jungle and draw circles or point with arrows to what I am missing? this is at 1024x768 all details to MAX!!!!!!! my fps doesnt dip below 30 either *hugs ti4200*

Overclocker550 said:
Can anyone take their own screenshot in the jungle and draw circles or point with arrows to what I am missing? this is at 1024x768 all details to MAX!!!!!!! my fps doesnt dip below 30 either *hugs ti4200*

Your missing anisotropic filtering for 1. Thats painfully obvious looking at how the ground turns to mush about 5 feet in front of the camera.

How does it look indoors? And how does the water look? Do you run bumpmapping, shadows and lighting on high as well?

I'm honestly curious. Could you post a few more screens?

[edit] Oh, in response to the earlier posts, the biggest issue I have with the game is my lack of ram. I actually ordered a 512mb refurbed stick of 3200 off the 'egg today. I already beat the game, and it ran beautifully on my system (see sig) overall. I hated having the HD accessed though for virtual memory. It wasn't too bad generally, but it could get better (thus my purchase). The water and lighting and heat effects were amazing. I really love bump mapping as well. I made sure to turn the bump mapping up to "3" in the configuration tool". It's totally worth it.

Last edited:
indoors? never been there. also I no longer have the demo. I ran the highest details the demo had options for. I think the .jpg compression made it a bit blurry. I didnt use aa/af anyway but this is my best screenshot I have. besides the blurry ground in the distance everything else, especially the trees are fantanstic. id like to see what you guys have that I dont LOL

As usual, you think your pretty clever. :D

I am borrowing the game to a friend currently. I'll post some more shots if your still interested when I get it back sunday. Otherwise somebody else will have to post some additional shots. I'd be glad to show you though.

Here's the only screen I took. Real time lighting, bump mapping...yada yada yada

FarCry0000.jpg

TruckyJ said:
As usual, you think your pretty clever. :D

I am borrowing the game to a friend currently. I'll post some more shots if your still interested when I get it back sunday. Otherwise somebody else will have to post some additional shots. I'd be glad to show you though.

Here's the only screen I took. Real time lighting, bump mapping...yada yada yada

FarCry0000.jpg

:drool: I want my 9800pro! *Cries* One thing that bugs me though but has nothing to do with your card is that the stitching on the arm isnt holding. It's going into the body, but that's just a common thing with almost all models when using NURBS.

Cerberus2k7 said:

:drool: I want my 9800pro! *Cries* One thing that bugs me though but has nothing to do with your card is that the stitching on the arm isnt holding. It's going into the body, but that's just a common thing with almost all models when using NURBS.

Do you have a 9800pro on the way?

I agree that the models aren't perfect. I think they are a step in the right direction however. The detail on them is pretty decent, and I like how they used shaders to portray different materials throughout the game (on the charecters and elsewhere). It looks hella-good. Its amazing how much difference the lighting model can make in the game too....especially when I watch my friends play it on thier 8500le's....poor kids.

Overclocker550 said:
indoors? never been there. also I no longer have the demo. I ran the highest details the demo had options for. I think the .jpg compression made it a bit blurry. I didnt use aa/af anyway but this is my best screenshot I have. besides the blurry ground in the distance everything else, especially the trees are fantanstic. id like to see what you guys have that I dont LOL

your joking right???

first off I can't believe you never finished the demo...
otherwise you would have been indoors.

it was real easy for me to find were you took the pic from...
it was at fort/checkpoint 5

once I found the spot you were standing at (the path that leads upto the outdoor staircase were there is 4 or 5 men standing guard) I tryed to not only match your detail settings but I was looking for a few things.

one of the things I found was your fraps counter size doesn't match up to the res you state the pic was taken at.

I did a size ratio of the big leaf vs the fraps counter....
I feal that your fraps counter is way too large to be at 1024x768
I'm not calling you a lier, but after testing, this looks more like 800x600 then 1024x768....my counter is much smaller at the size you stated.

as far as your screenshot being a little blurry because it's a jpg...
go tell it to someone else.
yes there will be some loss...no dought.
but you are in no way running everything at highest.

you have far to much loss in that big leaf....and the ground will have alot more detail without the use of AF.
yes, I can tell you have no AF running, but even the detail near you is poor.

the leafs just under the palm tree (that the big leaf is from) that are sticking out from you are way too out of focus to be at highest settings and the detail of the leafs in the tree canopy that are in the background (the ones that you would walk under if you would follow the path) are also way to out of focus.
with all this lack of detail, I'm thinking that maybe BUMP MAPPING is not running.
no way your running at max details....sorry, the game must be over riding your settings.

*mica is still in amazment at the size of OC550's fraps counter*

mica

"once I found the spot you were standing at (the path that leads upto the outdoor staircase were there is 4 or 5 men standing guard) I tryed to not only match your detail settings but I was looking for a few things."

more like 8 at least. Its not easy to take them all down with the knife I am holding. I got 6 once but with my health low, the other 2 shot me in the back. show me a screenshot, please upload it so I can compare. we may be using different frap versons but right click my pic and see properties, it was taken at 1024x768 man. I ran the details as high as the demo showed. Maybe some of them were being ovverode, if so, someone will need to show me how to manually configure the text document to override the oveeride LOL. upload your pic, let my eyes see the difference myself :) and leave the fps counter on

micamica1217 said:

your joking right???

first off I can't believe you never finished the demo...
otherwise you would have been indoors.

It is possible to get to the top of the "fort" without going inside....you have to go inside to finish the demo obviously though.

Overclocker550 said:
"upload your pic, let my eyes see the difference myself :) and leave the fps counter on

In order for your eyes to see, you need to probably go somewhere where pixel shading is used much more extensively. I'll take a pic of where your standing when I get a chance though. Just out of curiousity...it will be a few days.

oh...and thats your "best" screenshot? I think you should maybe post some of your other ones.

Last edited:
maybe if I use god mode I can take a pic anywhere without dieing but this is as far as I can get right now. I also uninstalled the demo but can reinstall it easily. I did try it on my geforce2 and was getting almost the same performance which is kinda suprising but the iq wasnt quite as good on a dx7 card. so yeah I may gain a bit more IQ with a 9800p but very little extra performance

Overclocker550 said:
so yeah I may gain a bit more IQ with a 9800p but very little extra performance

Run a 9800pro with pixel shader 1.1 and all DX8 rendering paths and it would crush your frame rate. Come on son, get with the program here.

go on aol so I can IM you. PM me when you get on aol and we can chat in person. sure the 9800 pro will crush my fps but my 40 ish fps is more than my eyes can see so any more fps by teh 9800 pro is all the same to me and besides my cpu would cut me short so I wont get much more fps

Overclocker550 said:
"once I found the spot you were standing at (the path that leads upto the outdoor staircase were there is 4 or 5 men standing guard) I tryed to not only match your detail settings but I was looking for a few things."

more like 8 at least. Its not easy to take them all down with the knife I am holding. I got 6 once but with my health low, the other 2 shot me in the back. show me a screenshot, please upload it so I can compare. we may be using different frap versons but right click my pic and see properties, it was taken at 1024x768 man. I ran the details as high as the demo showed. Maybe some of them were being ovverode, if so, someone will need to show me how to manually configure the text document to override the oveeride LOL. upload your pic, let my eyes see the difference myself :) and leave the fps counter on

""more like 8 at least.""

you seem to have great memory for a demo that is no longer on your computer.;)

anyway, as I've said, I'm not calling you a lier, it's just that things are not adding up.
(btw, you can always resize an image before saving it as a .jpg)

also, while there may be a way to force a few things on this game, there will always be a few thing that will never be able to be turned on...
you just don't have the hardware.

I wish I can help you with a pic, but I don't have any hosting....
since someone here will take a few more pics, you should be able to see a few things through his stuff.

(btw TruckyJ, at the top of the stairs we are talking about you'll have some PS2.0 on the pipes...but OC550 has already seen some pipe shots with and with out PS2.0)

again,OC550 your pic looks nice, but you've seen so little of what this game can do.

mica

Back