PDA

View Full Version : FarCry running choppy

Pages : [1] 2

Ad Rock
04-08-04, 05:00 PM
Well I just bought farcry and I can only run it on the medium video settings otherwise it runs choppy. My system is in my sig and I think I should have no problem at all running this game at the highest settings possible. Any idea's as to why my comp dosnt seem up to the challenge? I have DiX9.B installed and I am running the latest version of the omega drivers.

Should I try reinstalling the card drivers? I need help :( .

CrazyP
04-08-04, 05:06 PM
only 512 mb of ram is why

dreIU
04-08-04, 05:28 PM
FarCry runs choppy on my system as well, and I have 1gig of ram. Is this going to be another Halo type game?

micamica1217
04-08-04, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by CrazyP
only 512 mb of ram is why

I have to agree...
more and more game beg for more system memory for high game settings to be used.
even though you should have more then enough vid card memory, you can run into problems with only 512mb of system mem.

try doing one of two things....
first make sure AA and AF are at min or turned off.
next you can lower the resolution you are playing at.
(btw, what res are you playing at?)

also, a good idea is to shut down all the back ground items you may be running...I'll bet you tryed that, but I had to ask.

good luck

mica

Ad Rock
04-08-04, 05:32 PM
Hrmmm it says 512 recomended on the box for Farcry but when I do "detect video settings" it runs everything at meduim. I really hope it is not my RAM since I love my BH-5. I am running it at 1280x1024. I was I will try turning down all the AA and AF settings.

Kinda disapointed thought I would be able to run this game at the max for sure.

@md0Cer
04-08-04, 05:34 PM
It is a very intesive game. With the **** overclocked out of my 9000 Pro and my 256mb of ram, I can barely run it at all low settings. At first I was a little overconfident of my system and set it all to "high" and that was quite a mistake.......after 15 mins I could not get my comp unfrozen and had to do a hard reset.

Yuriman
04-08-04, 05:36 PM
I could run it at 1152x864 med settings perfectly on my old 9500np(256bit). When I turned up the settings it got slower and slower(DUH) with each bump up. At highest I would get 5-10fps average. Remember, this is a full DX9.0 game, using the latest pixel shaders and everything.

Ohh on a side note, try turning the particles way down, and everything else up. In some places it massively overdoes the particles.

dreIU
04-08-04, 05:45 PM
Why do we want to turn down the AA and AF completely? I thought that ATi cards had no problem at that?

CrazyP
04-08-04, 06:21 PM
the fact with this game is this. I have a 9600xt and can play with all settings at veryhigh, 1024/768 res, no AA or AF and it doesnt stutter or lag at all. I have 1 gig of pc3200. I alt tab out of the game and memory usage is way over 512mb of usage. towards the end I even saw 900MB being used which to me was insane.

but really, Battlefield vietnam is the same way, ut2004 plays better with a gig, and so does desert combat mod.

it seems its the way to go for the newer games coming out

oh and on the case it says 512mb - 1024 recommended. you now how box reco=comendations are. always believe the higher number

Albuquerque
04-08-04, 08:23 PM
The people complaining about performance while running high resolutions with AA and AF turned on are completely missing the boat here...

This is the next generation of video games. This is what HL2 and D3 were bringing to the table, it just happened to have come out first. This is DX9 in it's full glory, this isn't a DX7/8 game with pixel shaders slapped on at the last minute... The CryTech engine was built from the ground up to maime all the egos of those who thought their machine was all that and a bowl of Tostitos chips.

Intel 3.75Ghz, ram at 500 1:1 with PAT fully enabled, hardware EAX support and a 9800XT overclocked as far as I can get it on a VGA silencer is enough to run the game at a comfortable 30-60fps at 1024x768 with all in-game details at their fullest. I can turn on the AF to 8x and it doesn't get too bad, drops to an average of 25-55FPS. But the moment I force AA, the framerate plummets into the teens or worse.

THIS is the whole reason why NVIDIA and ATI are gearing up to produce cards with gobs of pipelines and performing something ridiculous like 300% faster than current hardware. It's not because you need that horsepower for existing games, it's because you need that horsepower for the true next generation games.

Farcry is your first glimpse of such...

Dermen
04-08-04, 08:54 PM
I run with everything on high except AA is on meduim. Its not choppy at all.

How do you guys find out what your fps is?

Daegon
04-08-04, 08:59 PM
Apparently, the new ATI drivers (4.4) address some of the coppyness in far cry. Make sure you have the most recent drivers.

Albuquerque
04-08-04, 09:29 PM
From within the game, press the tilde key, and type this:
/r_displayinfo 1

This will give you all the critical stats to include polygons in-scene, polys per second, total number of active hardware lights, and of course current frames per second.

micamica1217
04-08-04, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by Albuquerque
The people complaining about performance while running high resolutions with AA and AF turned on are completely missing the boat here...

This is the next generation of video games. This is what HL2 and D3 were bringing to the table, it just happened to have come out first. This is DX9 in it's full glory, this isn't a DX7/8 game with pixel shaders slapped on at the last minute... The CryTech engine was built from the ground up to maime all the egos of those who thought their machine was all that and a bowl of Tostitos chips.

Intel 3.75Ghz, ram at 500 1:1 with PAT fully enabled, hardware EAX support and a 9800XT overclocked as far as I can get it on a VGA silencer is enough to run the game at a comfortable 30-60fps at 1024x768 with all in-game details at their fullest. I can turn on the AF to 8x and it doesn't get too bad, drops to an average of 25-55FPS. But the moment I force AA, the framerate plummets into the teens or worse.

THIS is the whole reason why NVIDIA and ATI are gearing up to produce cards with gobs of pipelines and performing something ridiculous like 300% faster than current hardware. It's not because you need that horsepower for existing games, it's because you need that horsepower for the true next generation games.

Farcry is your first glimpse of such...

well said....may I add some more info?

I'm just not convinced that PS and VS2.0 are the true reasons for the slowdowns in speed....
you see, the 9800pro might be a 8x1 pipeline card, but it is able to do not only one texture unit but one floting point unit as well(think PS2.0 unit).

now texture size is what most will agree that is truely slowing down are newer games like this one.

anyone remember textures the size of 320x320???
well say goodbye to crap like that.
it takes a 64mb card just to run 1024x1024 textures at 32bit with 32bit color in Q3A.
most cards are now 128mb, but you can start saying goodbye to 1024x1024 textures in todays games.

larger size textures and larger LVLs are not only forcing us to move onto 256mb cards as stated above, but 512mb of system ram just wont do any more.

run your newer DX9.0 game at a higher res and you increase the geomitry needed to complete the image....
you'll learn real quick that AA and AF will no longer be free with max in game settings.

mica

Overclocker550
04-08-04, 09:48 PM
is that the demo or full game? unless they added a whole bunch of stuff in the full game over the demo, somethings very wrong. I can see your cpu is faster than mine, so is your gpu. are you using windows xp? even with that handicap, you still have a nice gpu advantage over me. There may be a driver conflict or something, try running 3dmark and publish, link the score. also make sure nothing is running in the background, it could be hogging your cpu cycles. you should be able to run 1600x1200 everything maxed out and get 40fps because I can do that with medium details or max details at 1024x768!

Albuquerque
04-08-04, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by Overclocker550
you should be able to run 1600x1200 everything maxed out and get 40fps because I can do that with medium details or max details at 1024x768!

BZZT! Very very incorrect. At medium details, you are missing a significant amount of details of the game. You might be trying to force high details, but the CryTek engine assignes a "system spec" ID to your machine on game startup. It rates your processor model, speed, total onboard ram, video card model and video card memory -- takes all of that, and makes it into a sysspec number of 0 thru 4. Your system is probably detecting as a 1 based on your CPU speed and video card type, which means even setting your details on "high" is going to skip many VERY large pieces of the game. On your system, foliage density is almost nill, trees are at the lowest 3d model LOD, you have fish or birds, you completely lose dynamic lighting, all per-pixel rendering (environmental bumpmapping, dynamic water reflections, enviromental lighting on the foliage, etc)

My rig at "medium" details at 1280x1024 pulls something insane like 100+fps. My rig at all "very high" details at 1024x768 pulls an all-encompassing average of about 45 frames per second without AA or AF.

Again, as I had stated in my previous reply, you are sorely missing the boat on what's going on here. This isn't some paltry weenie DX8 game with pixel shaders slapped on to make things pretty. This is a true next-generation game. That doesn't mean it has shoddy framerates on ALL hardware, because the engine designers were fortunately smart enough to allow a very large amount of optional graphics components.

What it does mean is that forcing all features to their absolute highest setting is going to bring any current machine to it's knees. This game simply cannot be played with all features maxxed (AA, AF, high resolution) on any of today's hardware. Period.

Edit!
Maybe you don't believe me, so let's have a screenshot:
http://www.hyundaiproject.com/farcry/FarCry0012.jpg
Click on that link and look at what's going on in the upper right corner. Want something similar on your rig to compare notes? Hit the tilde key when you're in-game, and type this: /r_displayinfo 1
As you can see in this screenshot (dam level, at the very beginning) we have something around 30 million polygons per second being pumped through, with only one dynamic light. This is with all settings on "very high" quality, except for the water which is on "Ultra high" (water is the only thing that has a higher setting than "very high". Now notice the framerate -- 31fps. Now look at my signature...

This is without antialiasing, but it is running at 8x anisotropic filtering. Are you getting the idea yet?

Overclocker550
04-08-04, 10:30 PM
well I have forced high details. I see all what you described but I have to back down to 1024x768 for that to get good fps. I see a difference if I set em to medium but my fps doubles so I know I ran with all the goodies on(except any dx9 stuff which isnt much) I saw my friends screenshot and hes got a 9800 pro and my IQ looks identical to his when I run high details :) you say no hardware can play the game on max details, thats right I cant use max details either if I try 1600x1200

Albuquerque
04-08-04, 10:34 PM
I edited my post a little, please note my top mention of the sysspec qualifier and the screenshot. Whether you're noticing it or not, there's a considerable difference between what your rig is rendering and what your friend's rig is rendering on the 9800.

Here's a screenshot of one of the differences:
http://www.hyundaiproject.com/farcry/FarCry0007.jpg
Look in the water reflection, and notice that the jeep and all the trees are being reflected. So is fire, smoke, and other badguys. You can't enable that on your hardware, it physically won't let you.

CrazyP
04-08-04, 10:41 PM

http://www.hyundaiproject.com/farcry/FarCry0012.jpg

thats screenshot right there shows why you need more than 512mb to run it lagfree with all the bells and whistles. the level is huge and there are so many things going on.

Overclocker550
04-08-04, 11:10 PM
I dont remember if there was reflection when I ran the game but everything else is there. the reflection is quite useless since much of the game I exporer the interiors of the island. I get 95% the details you guys do and great performance so I am not complaining

Yuriman
04-08-04, 11:22 PM
Lol, well of course your gf4 can run it in Dx8 mode with 90% of the foilage reduced. My 9500 was brought to its knees in a forest area at 1024 highest settings, no aa and 2x af. But it was incredible to look at. I dont know if you saw the screenies I posted a while back(I lost them in a format) but this game is unreal. You can force it to not have a draw distance in the demo, but at 640x480 highest settings, my 9500 was getting 1 fram every 4 seconds from your starting point in the boat.

EDIT: Look here. http://www.farcry.ubi.com/screenshots.php

Of course, thats highest settings in game, but only at 800x600 or some other low res. It is also w/o AA or AF. I think it looks pretty good considering.

sLk
04-08-04, 11:40 PM
I also get the choppiness that you refer to when playing with the setup in my sig no matter what settings/driver I use.
Funny thing is, the game ran smoothly with my FX5600 in the same setup. I had to reduce the game detail but it ran smoothly nonetheless.
Very odd.

Yuriman
04-08-04, 11:54 PM
Doesnt the drivers from nvidia drop the 5600 to dx8 mode?

micamica1217
04-09-04, 01:11 AM
I edited my post a little, please note my top mention of the sysspec qualifier and the screenshot. Whether you're noticing it or not, there's a considerable difference between what your rig is rendering and what your friend's rig is rendering on the 9800.

Here's a screenshot of one of the differences:
http://www.hyundaiproject.com/farcry/FarCry0007.jpg
Look in the water reflection, and notice that the jeep and all the trees are being reflected. So is fire, smoke, and other badguys. You can't enable that on your hardware, it physically won't let you.

forget it.
OC550 just doesn't get it.

he can sit here all day and tell me his screenshots look the same as a 9800pro....I know they don't.

far cry isn't the only game in town that defalts to a lower setting do to hardware, in order to alow proper framerate...
but it seems to be one of the biggest violators (if you want to call it that) right now.

I was replying to him about a game last night, that he thought he would do well....yet he doesn't realise that if he was able to force all the detail that I was running (minus the PS2.0) he would never get the results he thinks he would get.

you have to understand that even though I've repeatedly shown how good AF is in todays games, he still doesn't see the diff between no AF and 8xAF....
now if he can't tell the diff of with or without AF, how is he going to tell the diff between two screen shots that are side by side?

now, what if his comparisons are NOT done in a side by side or with saved screenshots....meaning, all he did was go to his friend's house and watch his friend play the game.

what he needs to think about is just what does he realy think he'll do with only 512mb of system ram, then, doesn't he only have 64mb of vid ram???
(the biggest reason for OC550 getting higher framerates with a lower setting was do to having only 512mb of system ram)

he also needs to get off this kick about win2k....winxp is great once you get rid of the bloatware...:rolleyes:

mica

micamica1217
04-09-04, 01:18 AM
Originally posted by sLk
I also get the choppiness that you refer to when playing with the setup in my sig no matter what settings/driver I use.
Funny thing is, the game ran smoothly with my FX5600 in the same setup. I had to reduce the game detail but it ran smoothly nonetheless.
Very odd.

you only have 512mb of system memory, and while it might force some things to a lower setting it may be overlooking something...
try lowering a few things till you get better frame rates.

also, Yuriman is right, when using the 5600 you were forced into DX8.0 mode (PS1.1)

btw, try CAT3.7, this is a great driver for this and many other games like BF:V

mica

Overclocker550
04-09-04, 01:46 AM
win 2k comes unbloated, why work on fixing win xp? I dont like the interface of xp and its still slower, about 10% slower LOL. win 2k is for pros like me! mines a professional verson and 2k gives u more 3dmarks as well! let me upload my screenshot:

http://www.imagemagician.org/images/acemann/enterjungle.jpg

can anyone take their own screenshot in the jungle and draw circles or point with arrows to what I am missing? this is at 1024x768 all details to MAX!!!!!!! my fps doesnt dip below 30 either *hugs ti4200*

TruckyJ
04-09-04, 02:14 AM
Can anyone take their own screenshot in the jungle and draw circles or point with arrows to what I am missing? this is at 1024x768 all details to MAX!!!!!!! my fps doesnt dip below 30 either *hugs ti4200*

Your missing anisotropic filtering for 1. Thats painfully obvious looking at how the ground turns to mush about 5 feet in front of the camera.

How does it look indoors? And how does the water look? Do you run bumpmapping, shadows and lighting on high as well?

I'm honestly curious. Could you post a few more screens?

[edit] Oh, in response to the earlier posts, the biggest issue I have with the game is my lack of ram. I actually ordered a 512mb refurbed stick of 3200 off the 'egg today. I already beat the game, and it ran beautifully on my system (see sig) overall. I hated having the HD accessed though for virtual memory. It wasn't too bad generally, but it could get better (thus my purchase). The water and lighting and heat effects were amazing. I really love bump mapping as well. I made sure to turn the bump mapping up to "3" in the configuration tool". It's totally worth it.

Overclocker550
04-09-04, 02:25 AM
indoors? never been there. also I no longer have the demo. I ran the highest details the demo had options for. I think the .jpg compression made it a bit blurry. I didnt use aa/af anyway but this is my best screenshot I have. besides the blurry ground in the distance everything else, especially the trees are fantanstic. id like to see what you guys have that I dont LOL

Violator
04-09-04, 02:46 AM
Doesn't the 9800 run the game in PS2.0 mode? If so, how come my log file says PS2.0 detected, but using 1.1?. You don't need to force it do you?

TruckyJ
04-09-04, 02:55 AM
As usual, you think your pretty clever. :D

I am borrowing the game to a friend currently. I'll post some more shots if your still interested when I get it back sunday. Otherwise somebody else will have to post some additional shots. I'd be glad to show you though.

Here's the only screen I took. Real time lighting, bump mapping...yada yada yada

http://jupiter.walagata.com/w/truckyj/FarCry0000.jpg

Cerberus2k7
04-09-04, 03:14 AM
Originally posted by TruckyJ
As usual, you think your pretty clever. :D

I am borrowing the game to a friend currently. I'll post some more shots if your still interested when I get it back sunday. Otherwise somebody else will have to post some additional shots. I'd be glad to show you though.

Here's the only screen I took. Real time lighting, bump mapping...yada yada yada

http://jupiter.walagata.com/w/truckyj/FarCry0000.jpg

:drool: I want my 9800pro! *Cries* One thing that bugs me though but has nothing to do with your card is that the stitching on the arm isnt holding. It's going into the body, but that's just a common thing with almost all models when using NURBS.

TruckyJ
04-09-04, 04:02 AM
Originally posted by Cerberus2k7

:drool: I want my 9800pro! *Cries* One thing that bugs me though but has nothing to do with your card is that the stitching on the arm isnt holding. It's going into the body, but that's just a common thing with almost all models when using NURBS.

Do you have a 9800pro on the way?

I agree that the models aren't perfect. I think they are a step in the right direction however. The detail on them is pretty decent, and I like how they used shaders to portray different materials throughout the game (on the charecters and elsewhere). It looks hella-good. Its amazing how much difference the lighting model can make in the game too....especially when I watch my friends play it on thier 8500le's....poor kids.

micamica1217
04-09-04, 04:08 AM
indoors? never been there. also I no longer have the demo. I ran the highest details the demo had options for. I think the .jpg compression made it a bit blurry. I didnt use aa/af anyway but this is my best screenshot I have. besides the blurry ground in the distance everything else, especially the trees are fantanstic. id like to see what you guys have that I dont LOL

your joking right???

first off I can't believe you never finished the demo...
otherwise you would have been indoors.

it was real easy for me to find were you took the pic from...
it was at fort/checkpoint 5

once I found the spot you were standing at (the path that leads upto the outdoor staircase were there is 4 or 5 men standing guard) I tryed to not only match your detail settings but I was looking for a few things.

one of the things I found was your fraps counter size doesn't match up to the res you state the pic was taken at.

I did a size ratio of the big leaf vs the fraps counter....
I feal that your fraps counter is way too large to be at 1024x768
I'm not calling you a lier, but after testing, this looks more like 800x600 then 1024x768....my counter is much smaller at the size you stated.

as far as your screenshot being a little blurry because it's a jpg...
go tell it to someone else.
yes there will be some loss...no dought.
but you are in no way running everything at highest.

you have far to much loss in that big leaf....and the ground will have alot more detail without the use of AF.
yes, I can tell you have no AF running, but even the detail near you is poor.

the leafs just under the palm tree (that the big leaf is from) that are sticking out from you are way too out of focus to be at highest settings and the detail of the leafs in the tree canopy that are in the background (the ones that you would walk under if you would follow the path) are also way to out of focus.
with all this lack of detail, I'm thinking that maybe BUMP MAPPING is not running.
no way your running at max details....sorry, the game must be over riding your settings.

*mica is still in amazment at the size of OC550's fraps counter*

mica

Overclocker550
04-09-04, 04:17 AM
"once I found the spot you were standing at (the path that leads upto the outdoor staircase were there is 4 or 5 men standing guard) I tryed to not only match your detail settings but I was looking for a few things."

more like 8 at least. Its not easy to take them all down with the knife I am holding. I got 6 once but with my health low, the other 2 shot me in the back. show me a screenshot, please upload it so I can compare. we may be using different frap versons but right click my pic and see properties, it was taken at 1024x768 man. I ran the details as high as the demo showed. Maybe some of them were being ovverode, if so, someone will need to show me how to manually configure the text document to override the oveeride LOL. upload your pic, let my eyes see the difference myself :) and leave the fps counter on

TruckyJ
04-09-04, 04:25 AM
Originally posted by micamica1217

your joking right???

first off I can't believe you never finished the demo...
otherwise you would have been indoors.

It is possible to get to the top of the "fort" without going inside....you have to go inside to finish the demo obviously though.

TruckyJ
04-09-04, 04:30 AM
"upload your pic, let my eyes see the difference myself :) and leave the fps counter on

In order for your eyes to see, you need to probably go somewhere where pixel shading is used much more extensively. I'll take a pic of where your standing when I get a chance though. Just out of curiousity...it will be a few days.

oh...and thats your "best" screenshot? I think you should maybe post some of your other ones.

Overclocker550
04-09-04, 04:39 AM
maybe if I use god mode I can take a pic anywhere without dieing but this is as far as I can get right now. I also uninstalled the demo but can reinstall it easily. I did try it on my geforce2 and was getting almost the same performance which is kinda suprising but the iq wasnt quite as good on a dx7 card. so yeah I may gain a bit more IQ with a 9800p but very little extra performance

TruckyJ
04-09-04, 04:44 AM
so yeah I may gain a bit more IQ with a 9800p but very little extra performance

Run a 9800pro with pixel shader 1.1 and all DX8 rendering paths and it would crush your frame rate. Come on son, get with the program here.

Overclocker550
04-09-04, 04:46 AM
go on aol so I can IM you. PM me when you get on aol and we can chat in person. sure the 9800 pro will crush my fps but my 40 ish fps is more than my eyes can see so any more fps by teh 9800 pro is all the same to me and besides my cpu would cut me short so I wont get much more fps

micamica1217
04-09-04, 04:50 AM
"once I found the spot you were standing at (the path that leads upto the outdoor staircase were there is 4 or 5 men standing guard) I tryed to not only match your detail settings but I was looking for a few things."

more like 8 at least. Its not easy to take them all down with the knife I am holding. I got 6 once but with my health low, the other 2 shot me in the back. show me a screenshot, please upload it so I can compare. we may be using different frap versons but right click my pic and see properties, it was taken at 1024x768 man. I ran the details as high as the demo showed. Maybe some of them were being ovverode, if so, someone will need to show me how to manually configure the text document to override the oveeride LOL. upload your pic, let my eyes see the difference myself :) and leave the fps counter on

""more like 8 at least.""

you seem to have great memory for a demo that is no longer on your computer.;)

anyway, as I've said, I'm not calling you a lier, it's just that things are not adding up.
(btw, you can always resize an image before saving it as a .jpg)

also, while there may be a way to force a few things on this game, there will always be a few thing that will never be able to be turned on...
you just don't have the hardware.

I wish I can help you with a pic, but I don't have any hosting....
since someone here will take a few more pics, you should be able to see a few things through his stuff.

(btw TruckyJ, at the top of the stairs we are talking about you'll have some PS2.0 on the pipes...but OC550 has already seen some pipe shots with and with out PS2.0)

again,OC550 your pic looks nice, but you've seen so little of what this game can do.

mica

TR_B
04-09-04, 05:03 AM
[...]can anyone take their own screenshot in the jungle and draw circles or point with arrows to what I am missing? this is at 1024x768 all details to MAX!!!!!!! my fps doesnt dip below 30 either *hugs ti4200*

Yea, ehm, I do not see any difference at all while even looking concentrated at my screeny and yours (let alone would I while playing ofcourse). Except for the framerate :D (mine is ~27 there).

- After setting everything at VeryHigh it sets back Lightening to Custom after restarting FarCry.
- AF disabled
- TextureFiltering refuses to go above Medium

Is there a way to see in the LOG file the game uses Dx8 instead of Dx9?

*edit* (direct copy from the farcry dir - sry, so its 800+ kb)
http://home.planet.nl/~bissc109/fc01.jpg

Ad Rock
04-09-04, 05:04 AM
Ok well I was playing the game again on the Auto detect settings and when I get to the first part on the level Regulator inside that shed type dome where there is those lights hanging from the ceiling casting those shadows my comp drops to its knees. This is on the auto settings to which is basically "medium". Also in the level after control with the fire in that hall my computer again lies down and begs for mercey.

Am I going to have to run at below the auto-detect settings now to avoid this?

I am going to try those Omega 3.7's that were sugested earlier. Also I remeber reading about a program that is called something like driver scruber? It gets rid of any remaining parts of the old driver so there are no conflicts. Can somoene tell me exactly what this program is called? Thanks.

Yuriman
04-09-04, 09:37 AM
*sigh* When I get my 9500(currently pending) Ill post pics of my 9100vs9500.

Albuquerque
04-09-04, 09:54 AM
OC550, here's what I can offer for ya:

Start up the demo, and do NOT start fraps. Once the demo is loaded and you are at the beginning of the level in the boat (or maybe at one of your saved locations), I want you to do the following:

Hit the tilde key (the ` next to the number one and above the tab)
Type without quotes: "/r_displayinfo 1"
Now when you want to take a screenshot, press the F12 key and it will dump a JPG file into the same folder where FarCry was installed (by default, it's C:\Program Files\FarCry Demo\FarCry000x.jpg)

With the r_displayinfo enabled, we can do three things:

1. We all can see what resolution, what dynamic lighting model, and how many polys are being displayed in the current frame.
2. We can precisely get your location so that an identical screenshot on someone else's hardware can be taken
3. We can settle the image differences without having to quibble about resized images, doctored whatnot, etc.

If you can post a few of those with R_displayinfo turned on, I will post matching screenshots from my own equipment and we can compare notes.

dguy6789
04-09-04, 11:02 AM
Why would your comp with a 9800pro drop to it's knees? Must be some setting in windows killin it. My friend has an athlon xp 2400+ with 1GB ram, nforce 2, and ATI Radeon 9600 Pro 128MB. we run it at 1024X768 with no aa/af, but the very max ingame settings and the fps dont go below 40, not in any spot no matter how much action there is. And it looks awesome :) GO ATI!!!

CrazyP
04-09-04, 11:09 AM
just off the top of my head, here are things that would be missin outdoor when selecting medium details.

Birds flying around
fish in the ocean
reflections of objects in the water
dynamic shadows, such as the shadows of leaves on the gun your holding while walking in the jungle

undergrowth under the water as welll as some bushes are gone

Overclocker550
04-09-04, 11:33 AM
Birds flying around(probably)
fish in the ocean(check)
reflections of objects in the water(cant remember)
dynamic shadows, such as the shadows of leaves on the gun
your holding while walking in the jungle(possiblly)

undergrowth under the water as welll as some bushes are gone(check)

check=means I saw that stuff=means I was using high details

Albuquerque
04-09-04, 01:13 PM
Like I said, post some shots with r_displayinfo turned on and I'll post matching shots from my rig. It's cake, just slap a few out! :)

hkh
04-09-04, 01:44 PM
I have no problem playing the game on high and i only have 512, the only time it lags is right at the start when every thing is loading other then that it is fine.

TruckyJ
04-09-04, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by Ad Rock
Ok well I was playing the game again on the Auto detect settings and when I get to the first part on the level Regulator inside that shed type dome where there is those lights hanging from the ceiling casting those shadows my comp drops to its knees. This is on the auto settings to which is basically "medium". Also in the level after control with the fire in that hall my computer again lies down and begs for mercey.

Thats really strange since I have a 9700pro and I have no trouble running things higher then medium. You don't have AA enabled full time in the ATI control panel do you? Do you have other programs running full time in the background?

I've been running off the 4.4 and 4.3 caty's without any hitch. Something must be going on, because a 9800pro shouldn't be having trouble with the dynamic lighting.

TruckyJ
04-09-04, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by TR_B
- After setting everything at VeryHigh it sets back Lightening to Custom after restarting FarCry.
- AF disabled
- TextureFiltering refuses to go above Medium

All of those issues are simply a result of limitations placed by the demo. The customization in the full game is very detailed actually...and it all works.

Buhammot
04-09-04, 02:25 PM
When the game developers are making the latest game with all the latest bells and whistles, they want it to be as lifelike as possible with all the reflections and such that make something look that much more appealing. Now you dont need all of these things is you are content with half-life 1 style of gameplay, but this is the new mellinium if you havent noticed. New features are built into OGL and DX and some developers want to go all out.

I have yet to purchase the retail game, but I still know that my comp will crawl. One of the things I am looking forward to, is all the fanboys start to complain when they have yet to try it out on max settings. It WILL happen, and the ATI boys will be in a fit. But this IS new technology at its finest and in full swing. Just cause you got a good benchmark with 3dmark03 dont mean jack anymore.

Next up, Half-Life 2 and Doom 3. DX9 and OGL's most anticipated.

Cerberus2k7
04-09-04, 03:06 PM

Do you have a 9800pro on the way?

I agree that the models aren't perfect. I think they are a step in the right direction however. The detail on them is pretty decent, and I like how they used shaders to portray different materials throughout the game (on the charecters and elsewhere). It looks hella-good. Its amazing how much difference the lighting model can make in the game too....especially when I watch my friends play it on thier 8500le's....poor kids.

Not yet, but most likely after the 15th I will. :D Or if the new cards drop soon after or right before. I got a VGA silencer for it on the way though. :D

Anyone know how fast Performance PC is with shipping to AZ?

Nandro
04-09-04, 03:15 PM
what do you guys meanby turning bump mapping all the way up? My 9800XT (top machine in my sig) plays this game flawlessly with everything I know of jacked. I have a Ti4200 in a machine right next to it, (2nd one inn my sig) I can do comparison shots.

Valk
04-09-04, 03:18 PM
I have found this thread interesting to read. I downloaded the far cry demo yesterday to get an idea of what the fuss was about. I dont suck any less at fps games, but its a good test of my system.

These screens are taken using farps, and saved as level 8 jpg's in photoshop. so i expect there to be SOME loss but not that much.
This first image is baffling, because it only started when i started to fiddle with the settings in the game O_o. when i just installed the game and tried to set the details as high as poosible, i got this on the rocks, but the rest of the game *aside from a small pig in the forest* appeared normal. ill have to fiddle with it O_o.

Also, my texture filtering feature and particle feature would not retain MY input settings, so i just force 8x aniso in the drivers.

http://ev0one.idleplay.net/media/farcry/far1.jpg

http://ev0one.idleplay.net/media/farcry/far2.jpg

http://ev0one.idleplay.net/media/farcry/far3.jpg

http://ev0one.idleplay.net/media/farcry/far4.jpg

http://ev0one.idleplay.net/media/farcry/far6.jpg

The first screen really screws with my head. dont know why that happened all of a sudden... unless i fux0r'd my card in the last 24 hours :(.
This is with every setting to very high, aside from texture filtering and particles... since it wouldnt take my setting of very high, i just said screw it and set aniso to 8x in the driver.

I see a lot of spots that dont look so nice untill you zoom in on them with the camera. some of the shots showing a lot of space, with objects quite a distance from the camera show up really badly. kinda old school.

buuuuuuut. I want to see Overclocker550 post some shots indeed. This game destroy's this system. and i highly doubt a 4200 can handle VERY HIGH detail levels in this game. maybe at like.. 10 fps, severly overclocked.

Overclocker550
04-09-04, 03:19 PM

Not yet, but most likely after the 15th I will. :D Or if the new cards drop soon after or right before. I got a VGA silencer for it on the way though. :D

Anyone know how fast Performance PC is with shipping to AZ?

whatever happened to the ti4200 you were gonna get and convert to a quadro for professional 3d rendering? :p

Albuquerque
04-09-04, 03:26 PM
In the demo version, you need to be using like 3.7 cats AND you cannot force any level of AA or AF in the ATi control panel applet or else multiple texture corruption issues arise.

If you're in the real game, it's still a very good idea to NOT use AA while running this game. Even the beefiest of systems will slog and bog and crawl with AA enabled with everything at uber-high settings.

Nandro
04-09-04, 03:49 PM
when I try the /r_displayinfo 1 after I ~ back to the game the info dissapears. How do i get it to stayy up while I'm playing? I play it on my sager 8890 lappy at work which has the 9600 pro turbo overclocked and i want to see what its getting.

Albuquerque
04-09-04, 04:06 PM
see the screenshots above? It should do exactly that... Just to make sure, do this:

Hit the tilde key again, and type "r_displa" and then press the tab key -- it will auto-fill in the full /r_displayinfo for you. All you need to do is press the 1 key before you press enter.

It may be that you're using the wrong slash, and that tab auto-complete will fix that :)

Valk
04-09-04, 04:13 PM
grrrrrr! i cant make those rocks work properly now <_< They just dont. but the stone ine walls, or the metal flake on that airplane work fine. i dont get it <_<

TruckyJ
04-09-04, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by Valk
grrrrrr! i cant make those rocks work properly now <_< They just dont. but the stone ine walls, or the metal flake on that airplane work fine. i dont get it <_<

Do you have Anisotropic filtering enabled in the ATI control panel? I had the same thing happen with the demo (not the full game), but it wasn't an issue after I turned off AA.

Valk
04-09-04, 05:02 PM
err.... ha ha ha ha... you know what it was? ^^;;....
Well. i usually crank up my cpu to 2500 mhz to test these elaborate games... but although i prime tested it stable at 1.93 volts... it needed more than that it seems... up to 1.95 vcore and the problem went away.

still.. the control panel wont let me set texture filtering to higher than medium...
I have turned off the forced features in the driver, but that wasnt the cause of my problem. the game lags with them on, but runs properly.

TR_B
04-09-04, 05:26 PM
All of those issues are simply a result of limitations placed by the demo. The customization in the full game is very detailed actually...and it all works.

Ok, thanks for clearing that out for me. :)

Hmm, when I was browsing through some FarCry forum I noticed several posts by people claiming any Nvidia videocard even though its a Fx59xx will not display any Dx9 effects, but FarCry simply reverts the whole game back to Dx8.1 - unless the videocard is a ATI.

I, honestly, do not know what to believe ...
would I truly need an ATI card for all the Dx9 eye candy?

TruckyJ
04-09-04, 05:59 PM
still.. the control panel wont let me set texture filtering to higher than medium...

This is just a limitation of the demo. The full game allows you to choose either biliniar or triliniar.

micamica1217
04-09-04, 06:05 PM

Ok, thanks for clearing that out for me. :)

Hmm, when I was browsing through some FarCry forum I noticed several posts by people claiming any Nvidia videocard even though its a Fx59xx will not display any Dx9 effects, but FarCry simply reverts the whole game back to Dx8.1 - unless the videocard is a ATI.

I'm sure you can FORCE the PS2.0 on the 5900's in this game...
I just don't remember how as I have an ATI card.

if I remember corectly, you have to set something to "highest"...?

anybody?

mica

TruckyJ
04-09-04, 06:11 PM

TR_B, Please read this link from HardOCP concerning Far Cry and the 5900xt that they just tested: - Linky - (http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NjA0LDM=)

The Far Cry 1.1 patch seems to help. It wasn't that all DX9 effects were disabled. Rather, pixel shader 1.1 was used instead of 2.0 (which is used with the ATI cards). Visual quality still isn't as good as ATI's, but I wouldn't say by any means that you need a new card.

Like Mica said, PS 2.0 can be used. (From HardOCP), "Here is what we found out with this game. In order to enable Pixel and Vertex Shader 2.0 you have to set the Lighting Quality under the Advanced Video menu to “Very High”. Only with this setting at “Very High” will you have PS/VS 2.0 effects on both cards. It seems whatever problem there was in the demos the full version game has been fixed, you can get PS/VS 2.0 on GeForceFX cards, just make sure to put Lighting Quality on “Very High”."

Albuquerque
04-09-04, 10:34 PM
Well OC550, you gonna post some screenies with the r_displayinfo turned on or not? I can't help show you the differences if you never post any screenshots with the displayinfo enabled...

dreIU
04-09-04, 11:12 PM
Hey good nes guys! FarCry is only 29.99USD at bestbuy.com! Go get one!! :cool:

Cerberus2k7
04-10-04, 12:38 AM
Hey OC550: My friend modded his 4200 to a quatro, and it SUCKS! his 9500np(stock) is better at rendering. :D

woohoo! 6 more days until payday! Then...9800pro! :D

Valk
04-10-04, 01:34 AM
Now now. lets not start hacking down oc550. im sure he belives his card is a great performer, and who are we to tell him otherwise.
of course, oc550, you will need to back up your statements when you bring the fight to an online forum ^^.

Overclocker550
04-10-04, 02:01 AM
Hey OC550: My friend modded his 4200 to a quatro, and it SUCKS! his 9500np(stock) is better at rendering. :D

woohoo! 6 more days until payday! Then...9800pro! :D

then his didnt become a quadro, did he gain any speed rendering before and after the mod? quadros are $500+ cards they had better eat even a 9800 pro in rendering or why are they so expensive for? as for farcry, I will reinstall it and take screenies

Cerberus2k7
04-10-04, 03:16 AM
Quadro>9800pro>ti4200 and just because you modded a 4200 to it doesnt mean you will get the same performance as you would a genuine quadro.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/3dsmax5-quadrofx3000.html

just a little something to look at if you get bored.

Overclocker550
04-10-04, 03:31 AM
so buy a real quadro then!

TruckyJ
04-10-04, 03:50 AM

as for farcry, I will reinstall it and take screenies

Sounds good. I don't expect you'll be convinced of anything given your track record. However, I'm curious for my own sake, so post some up. :cool:

Nandro
04-10-04, 06:23 AM
There is a noticable difference smothness wise and visually between the 2. I have my Ti overclocked to 380/490 and can play the game descent on all high settings, but I guess the 9800xt spoiled me. I have to say the Ti is more playable than the 9600 mobility pro turbo though, and the game is completely playable on it. Not bad for a card I got for $63 compared to over $400.

TR_B
04-10-04, 07:16 AM
I'm sure you can FORCE the PS2.0 on the 5900's in this game...

Yep, it is the Very High setting TruckyJ already mentioned. Too bad forcing it with RivaTuner is of no help, so I guess I have to wait to see how it all looks untill I have the full version.

The Far Cry 1.1 patch seems to help. It wasn't that all DX9 effects were disabled. Rather, pixel shader 1.1 was used instead of 2.0 (which is used with the ATI cards). Visual quality still isn't as good as ATI's, but I wouldn't say by any means that you need a new card.

I didn't mention I had the full version (nor the demo - for that matter), but I hope to buy the full version anyway. :) So perhaps my screenshot is not of much use to compare I guess ... sry.

And a new card? With the budget I had it was either a 5900xt or a 9600, but I was wondering if I had made the right choice at that time.

Cerberus2k7
04-10-04, 09:18 AM
so buy a real quadro then!

Give me $1,300.00 and I will :p

Nandro
04-10-04, 11:09 AM
I had the same issue. When I was building my experiment rig, I had the choice of better video card or reall good water cooling, i went with the WC because the Ti was so cheap.

Overclocker550
04-10-04, 11:36 AM

Give me $1,300.00 and I will :p

what the heck are you smoking?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=40161&item=4122584458&rd=1

quadro4 and it looks like a ti4600 too. probably 300/650 clocks. this will smoke any radeon9800xt in rendering because quadros were made specifically for rendering, youd even need to use special drivers. Those will probably be able to game if you switch to the non quadro drivers. not as fast in games as a 9800p but way faster in rendering

Valk
04-10-04, 01:50 PM
*thinks*

I may be mistaken on this... so feel free to flame me. but if i dont clear it up, ill never know.
Im not sure where the video card comes in with non real time rendering, besides the mulipulation of the working environment. how does the video card speed up a largely cpu and memory intensive operation like 3d rendering?

Gregory_WE
04-11-04, 12:23 PM
FarCry runs smooth as silk in my system in sig... it's getting a little aged so I'm very happy with what I'm getting.

Cerberus2k7
04-11-04, 01:17 PM
*thinks*

I may be mistaken on this... so feel free to flame me. but if i dont clear it up, ill never know.
Im not sure where the video card comes in with non real time rendering, besides the mulipulation of the working environment. how does the video card speed up a largely cpu and memory intensive operation like 3d rendering?

Because programs like 3Ds Max and Maya use OpenGL. :D

EDIT: Also, if you have a crappy video card but a kick ass CPU you can set up the program to run off of the CPU.

Buhammot
04-11-04, 01:52 PM
Off track of the main topic. The "Professional" cards for 3d Studio, LightWave, Maya and other programs as such, perform well for what they need. Gaming video cards are designed to perform in another method. So if you go and spend 1300 bucks on a video card, dont expect it to game like a 200$ card. They are designed to do different things.

Plus, many of the designing programs use OpenGL as the main API, and that is only to speed up the viewport rendering. Now when you render to the final product, it is all CPU power, as the CPU is oftentimes much more precise when doing its calculations than the video card. So to justify spending 1300 bucks on a professional video card, would increase productivity of a 3d modeling etc environment by not having to render the full scene, rather just getting real time renderings via the viewport. Either way, the CAD card, if you will, would not be AS sufficient as a card meant for gaming in gaming applications.

Nandro
04-11-04, 01:57 PM
Does that mean one of the newer ATI fire cards would not play FarCry well? Or just not as good as its gaming counterpart?

Strida
04-11-04, 01:59 PM
That's right, unless you got the gaming drivers (Catalyst) to work correctly with the card.

Buhammot
04-11-04, 02:03 PM
From what I have read at a review, will try to find... the Fire X1 (i think?) card was stomped my the Nvidia equivalant. The 9700 derived card versus a 5900 Ultra derived Quadro FX 2000 and 3000. Sometimes as much as twice as fast than the ATI card.

Still, the professional cards are not meant for gaming, although it will run it sufficiently. As is vice versa, the gaming cards run professional applications, just not as well as the pro cards.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/3dsmax5-quadrofx3000.html

and

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/3dsmax5-quadrofx.html

Nandro
04-11-04, 02:08 PM
I guess kind of off of the subject, but if you were designing games would you ues a gaming card? If the professional cards are so great, why do mac's which are usually used for graphics use gaming cards?

Cerberus2k7
04-11-04, 03:29 PM
It's really just DX vs OpenGL. DX for games, but the 3D cards like the FX3000 are OpenGL because that's what Maya, Max, Lightwave, SoftImage, etc... use. While gaming cards are DX. Now games that are designed on OpenGL, the 3D rendering cards would be better. But all and all, it depends on what you want to do with the cards.(someone feel free to correct me if i'm wrong)

EDIT: Also, with the Mac question: Macs are mainly used for video editing and maybe adding special effects. Actual 3D Rendering are done on PCs.

Ad Rock
04-11-04, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by Gregory_WE
FarCry runs smooth as silk in my system in sig... it's getting a little aged so I'm very happy with what I'm getting.

Thats because the game is running in DX8 so its almost like you are not playing the same game as me :p .

Overclocker550
04-11-04, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by Ad Rock

Thats because the game is running in DX8 so its almost like you are not playing the same game as me :p .

so? little difference from dx8 to dx9 but dx9 takes a big performance hit

TruckyJ
04-11-04, 06:23 PM

Your in no place to comment on the difference since you havent seen the game running real time in both instances. I have, and I felt bad for my friend with his Ti4400. Smooth enough, but it looked significantly worse.

twump
04-11-04, 06:55 PM

i have played farcry on my system using BOTH a radeon 9800 pro and my ti4200. there is no comparison. with the 9800 everything looks better, runs smoother, and has much better effects. i never knew how much better 9800's were until i built a comp for a freind and had a chance to use his card in my comp. i know for fact your card can't run with all the highest in game settings.

the demo is not a good representation of the game at all.on the demo i could run everything at max but not the full game.

with the full game i have to lower these settings.

resolution=1024x768
texture quality= bilinear
fsaa=0
AF=1
special effects = medium
shadows=medium

everything else is at max.

even like this i get alot of lag. the whole game itself looks darker. my view distance is nowhere near what it was and the details seem non-existant after playing with the 9800 pro.

if you haven't used a 9800 you can't really say your card performs as good as a 9800. i've used both in the same system and after using the 9800 i don't even want my ti anymore. i have always liked my ti but its simply no comparison. everything looks better and crisper on the 9800.

i know you love your ti but thats simply because you haven't played with anything better. i was completely happy with my ti's performance until i played farcry.

one main difference i noticed between the 2 cards is a glossy look on the player textures. on the 9800 this made the textures loko 100x more realistic. on my ti it simply isn't there.

the shadows are another big difference. on the 9800 when running through the forest you notice nice clean SHADOWS on your gun while moving from the foliage above you. on the ti even with max shadows all you see is this light shade moving over your gun.

dx8-dx9 doesn't really matter. even running dx9 which you say takes a big performance hit the 9800 KILLED my ti running dx8. not just in looks but in everything. framerate, detail, view distance. the ti just can not compare to a 9800 pro when it comes to farcry.

speaking of 9800pro's i'm gonna go sell my soul on the classys and try to acquire one.

Nandro
04-11-04, 07:09 PM
I second the difference. I have the 2 systems running here side by side and its very noticable however the Ti is playable.

Overclocker550
04-11-04, 07:10 PM
heh with my ti4200 I should be able to run high if not max details since mines overclocked way higher than yours. ill miss out on the dx9 effects but I should get excellent performance and much IQ

Cerberus2k7
04-11-04, 07:17 PM
Here we go again...

Nandro
04-11-04, 07:30 PM
How are you getting 700 on the Ti, I have mine under chilled water and cant get close to that. Any pointers, or did I just get a dud?

TruckyJ
04-11-04, 07:41 PM
heh with my ti4200 I should be able to run high if not max details since mines overclocked way higher than yours. ill miss out on the dx9 effects but I should get excellent performance and much IQ

Once again, your not in any position to comment on the difference in image quality. Furthermore, I don't care how much you have that TI4200 OC'd, when it comes to pixel shaders that card gets totally PwN3d. This isn't 3dmark 2k1se...its a real game.

I.M.O.G.
04-11-04, 08:16 PM
OC550, you know I'm impartial with you and don't just try to always prove you wrong, so I'll put my .02 on what your card can and cannot do.

The biggest difference in the game is that your card cannot process the lushness of the surroundings. The trees are there, the leaves are there, the trails are there, the building are there.

The surfaces are not bump mapped, and they do not give you a sense of the texture if you were to touch the surface. With my r9700, I can see that if I touch the bottom of a merc's shoe when it is sitting in the cabin, it should feel like a soft, supple rubber - I expect that it would quiet their footsteps slightly. If I were to touch the rusty pipes that run through the indoor buildings, I expect it would be very rough and wouldn't want to run my hands across it - it makes me automatically get the feel of cold metal in my mind from its appearance - if it were a hamburger, it would look so real that my stomach would start to growl.

When I am in the jungle sneaking up on 6 mercs crouched with my machete, I feel as though I am hidden within the lush, dense foliage around me. I do not see trees, bushes, patches of grass, and paths - I see where the merc have worn dirt tracks that run through the the thick grass covering the jungle floor, the grass looks long and soft and partially obstructs my vision while I am crouched, if I would lay down I could see very little through it. I can lay there in the grass next to a bushy plant and wait for a merc to walk right up to the other side and know that he will not be able to see me if I do not move. When I slice the merc without him ever seeing me, if I would cut a leaf off the bush I would expect water and juice to seep from where it is severed because I can see the texture of the leaf, and I can see that the sun is baking down onto it as the leaves shine.

Do you see yet where I am getting at?

When you play FarCry on your card, the hardware capabilities limit you to an experience similar to that of a 3d contra game. It might be fun, and all the structures that anyone else has might be there, but you have to conciously use your imagination quite a bit to actually feel like you are in the action. Looking around in FarCry, with hardware newer and better than yours with new features your imagination is automatically sprung into action - the surroundings trick your senses into perceiving things as though they are right there in front of you.

I can't touch the leaves or piping, and I've never been in a thick island jungle, but through the visual depiction of what is around me, the game makes me think I know exactly what to expect it to feel like to be there and to touch whats around me.

Enough story telling, back to your card. Your card cannot process this information. It cannot make the jungle lush. The floor will be mostly green flat texture over the bumps and hills with sparse patches of grass. You will see pipes that are probably metal, but the only thing different between them and the walls are the color. You can imagine what these things are like, but as you run through a hallway taking headshots on mercs running around corners, the visual depiction your card gives you will not feed your mind with the sensory input to automatically think that the metal pipes you just ran by look colder than the brick wall behind them. Of course, you won't even notice this on your ti4200, but once you play through a few levels on a top end radeon, you will be itching from the grass at your ankles and you will run down the opposite side of the hallway from the rusty looking pipes.

That's the difference.

Cerberus2k7
04-11-04, 08:44 PM
OC550 said he doesnt care about eye candy Imog. So don't waste your breath. :p

twump
04-11-04, 09:03 PM
if he doesn't want eyecandy then he is playing the wrong game and should never have posted in the first place. whats the point of ever upgrading vcard if not for eyecandy.

who gives a damn if you can play a game smoothly if you aren't seeing all the details or at least most of them. go play hl1 if you don't want eyecandy. this is farcry a game built to show off what eyecandy means in the game world and what it will look like down the road.

he can clock that ti to the moon and back and it will NEVER perform half as good as a 9800 pro. until he actually trys a high end vcard he is just going to stay ignorant. i was almost the same way i never had a problem with the performance of my ti UNTIL i borrowed a 9800 pro. now i realize what garbage my ti is.

though i never glorified my card as he does.and certainly would not have been foolish enough to think it can match a 9800 in any way shape or form.

twump
04-11-04, 09:06 PM
well said IMOG

I.M.O.G.
04-11-04, 09:07 PM
Save my breath? I think you mean my fingers. ;) Seriously though, I don't ever feel like I'm wasting my time talking to OC550 - he's always receptive and polite, if not easily convinced. I have a lot of respect for him in how he handles all of the opinions that conflict with his - everyone gets rough with him because they see his view as unrealistic and unchanging forever. But he has the restraint and composure to retort appropriately atleast, even if he doesn't seem to compromise or "learn" as some would say. :)

There is eye candy, and then there are completely different game experiences though. With his card, he could be laying on the side of a hill, where he is actually covered in thick tall grass that his card cannot render, and have a merc walk almost right up next to him without seeing him - with his card the AI could even look crappy at times.

To me, eye candy is extraneous stuff like special effects and reticle glares. What he is missing isn't eye candy, he's missing all of the qualities that permeate the game and make it truly immersive - the reason everyone is loving the game. This game puts you more into the action than anything else out there from a visual perspective.

He may get good/fine performance on high detail because his card will be rendering a fraction of what another card could, but he will by no means get good IQ in comparison. The game may be very playable but it is a completely different experience throughout - that was my point for him.

EDIT: Added comments about OC550.

twump
04-11-04, 09:15 PM

forget about "excellent performance" when running the real game on that card. its simply not going to happen. you will get moderate performance at best. also forget about using fsaa or af let alone try using a res over 1024. forget about shadows and particle effects also.

while you and i are stuck running the game at moderate settings with minimal detail people with 9800's get to play a game that actually makes you think your on the island, with realistic shadows, lighting and everything else.

i've seen both sides of this game and i'm sorry but you are completely wrong. i've used both cards on the same system. and the ti simply can't cut the mustard.

i guarrantee your card will cry if you loaded the full game and set everything to max. you can clock it as high as you want and when it drops to 1-2fps on a regular basis you will see why our cards are completely inferior.

Cerberus2k7
04-11-04, 09:49 PM
Star Wars KoToR is 99% eye candy. :p

TruckyJ
04-11-04, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by IMOG
Seriously though, I don't ever feel like I'm wasting my time talking to OC550 - he's always receptive and polite, if not easily convinced. I have a lot of respect for him in how he handles all of the opinions that conflict with his - everyone gets rough with him because they see his view as unrealistic and unchanging forever. But he has the restraint and composure to retort appropriately atleast, even if he doesn't seem to compromise or "learn" as some would say. :)

When his opinions are so off base with reality, I don't see what there is to respect. Is foolishness tolerated just because the person who says it genuinely believes it? No. If a statement is incorrect, it's incorrect. I understand that certain statements are "opinion". I have mine, you all have yours.

However, opinions should be based on facts, not some preconcieved notion of reality. OC550 is not a whipping boy. Rather, he becomes a source of frustration as a result of oftentimes very misleading and incorrect statements.

I see it as the responsibilty of those who are "in the know" on this forum to keep OC550 in check. Why? Because there are alot of people who are new or unfamiliar with PC hardware who look through these forums everyday. The goal is to help them out, not mislead them. I'm not perfect. I've said things that have been wrong. But I correct myself after finding out why I'm wrong and accept it. I have yet to see OC's pride allow him to admit that he's wrong. In fact I never have.

I'm sure OC550 is a decent enough guy, but the continual deluge of marlarky wears you down after a while.

Cerberus2k7
04-11-04, 09:56 PM
Hey TruckyJ:

o·pin·ion ( P ) Pronunciation Key (-pnyn)
n.
A belief or conclusion held with confidence but not substantiated by positive knowledge or proof: “The world is not run by thought, nor by imagination, but by opinion” (Elizabeth Drew).
A judgment based on special knowledge and given by an expert: a medical opinion.
A judgment or estimation of the merit of a person or thing: has a low opinion of braggarts.
The prevailing view: public opinion.
Law. A formal statement by a court or other adjudicative body of the legal reasons and principles for the conclusions of the court

:p

TruckyJ
04-11-04, 10:17 PM
Hey Cerberus2k7:

clev·er
Pronunciation: 'kle-v&r
Function: adjective
Etymology: Middle English cliver, perhaps of Scandinavian origin; akin to Danish dialect kløver alert, skillful
1 a : skillful or adroit in using the hands or body : NIMBLE b : mentally quick and resourceful but often lacking in depth and soundness
2 : marked by wit or ingenuity

:D

Point taken. Yet, I must say that opinions are based upon facts (hopefully). More often then not, OC's facts seem to be incorrect, which leads to opinions that are ungrounded: Thus everyone's frustration. That's what I'm trying to convey. Sorry if that wasn't clear. If it was clear, quit trying to bust my balls man. ;)

fragger56
04-12-04, 03:50 AM
to add to what imog said earlier.
i just bought myself a 9800XT yesterday (birthday present from parents):D i used to play on a ti4200, i had finished and wanted to play the game again to see how much of a diff there was.
now with the 4200 the game was pretty impressive but not really that immersive but with my 9800XT even with godmode enabled(hey i was bored) i scared the **** outta myself several times due to the realism :rolleyes: now thats realism, you havent experienced farcry till you get a 9800 lol.

TruckyJ
04-12-04, 03:54 AM
Originally posted by fragger56
i just bought myself a 9800XT yesterday (birthday present from parents):D

Thats one heck of a Birthday present. Rock on. :D

Overclocker550
04-12-04, 04:44 AM
can you guys take screenshots of farcry with that dx9 card of yours? take them anywhere you wish, id like to see for myself exactly what I am missing!

TR_B
04-12-04, 05:08 AM
A bit more on-topic ... I am wondering.
It might only be in the demo, but in the upper right corner there is a small bitmap like picture in the form of a floppydisk.
Everytime it flashes, does that indicate harddisk swapping?

can you guys take screenshots of farcry with that dx9 card of yours? take them anywhere you wish, id like to see for myself exactly what I am missing!

I'm curious ... what was your total memory usage +- with the settings at max? When I went to the place where you took a screenshot as well, mine was around 740 mb. A 4200 or a 5900 card (or a gf2, me old card); doesn't matter because I have only 512 mb of internal memory in my system and than the speed of my harddisk kicks in. You also only have 512mb? When you still had the demo/game [installed] ánd running at the same settings of that screenshot, how could it have been smooth?

twump
04-12-04, 05:43 AM
here are a couple i took when i had the 9800. these aren't the greatest

http://hl.wshost.net/vbb/attachment.php?s=&postid=33622

http://hl.wshost.net/vbb/attachment.php?s=&postid=33624

Albuquerque
04-12-04, 09:11 AM
Here's at least a few that show what a DX9 card can do:

www.hyundaiproject.com/farcry/FarCry0003.jpg
This one shows off the dynamic shadows, bumpmapping (the texture of the floor, plus the fact that the tiles are raised), and pixel shaders (the water real-time refraction of the shadow and the tiles)

Next up is this one that you've already seen: http://www.hyundaiproject.com/farcry/FarCry0007.jpg
Things you won't see on DX8 hardware: real-time water reflections of the trees and truck, the refraction effect of the water when viewing the sand (hard to see in this cap), the real-time shadows generated by the trees to include shadowing onto the jeep.

And this one that you've already seen: http://www.hyundaiproject.com/farcry/FarCry0012.jpg

Things you will never see on a DX9 card: 30 million polygons per second real-life raster rate at 30+fps :p, real time shadowing on self (notice how the gun is entirely in shadow, except for the area at his thumb?), reflection of vegetation in the water, and the full view distance available on this hardware.

I'll take some more pictures later tonight for some better examples...

micamica1217
04-12-04, 10:34 AM

When his opinions are so off base with reality, I don't see what there is to respect. Is foolishness tolerated just because the person who says it genuinely believes it? No. If a statement is incorrect, it's incorrect. I understand that certain statements are "opinion". I have mine, you all have yours.

However, opinions should be based on facts, not some preconcieved notion of reality. OC550 is not a whipping boy. Rather, he becomes a source of frustration as a result of oftentimes very misleading and incorrect statements.

I see it as the responsibilty of those who are "in the know" on this forum to keep OC550 in check. Why? Because there are alot of people who are new or unfamiliar with PC hardware who look through these forums everyday. The goal is to help them out, not mislead them. I'm not perfect. I've said things that have been wrong. But I correct myself after finding out why I'm wrong and accept it. I have yet to see OC's pride allow him to admit that he's wrong. In fact I never have.

I'm sure OC550 is a decent enough guy, but the continual deluge of marlarky wears you down after a while.

I have to fully agree....

even when OC550 is proved wrong, he still goes on giving the wrong information , telling half truths, or his beliefs...as if they were facts.

his latest, is that he repeatedly is stating that we get a "HUGE" performance hit with PS2.0, as compared to PS1.1....
even after he is corected he still states the same.

also, I've noticed that he states he sees no differance between PS1.1 and PS2.0....
yet he stated that PS2.0 was sooo cool, when shown IQ pics of FAR CRY.

he has repeatedly seen some IQ pics of FAR CRY....some with bump mapping, refections, shadows, bla, bla....
yet still he wan'ts to see more????
why?
it's not that he will ever state he sees the diff....
heck, he still insists that he's running the demo at highest of settings....:p

I've never known OC550 to ever admit he was wrong about something.

he also states his system runs smooth as hell at the max settings and 1024x768....

yet this game, like BF:V, needs 1gig of system ram to realy play at the fullest of settings.
his vid card is also only 64mb if I'm not mistaken.
here is an example of what someone is doing with a B2500@10.5x220, 512mb mem, and a 9800np(that's a 128mb card)

Originally posted by Mustanley
1024x768 here, all settings at "very high". But with "only" 512 MB of ram in this thing does chug occasionally at certain points when it has to read from the disk. I need to install it on my other machine that's got a gig of ram and see if it goes away.

normaly I would say to all people who will show pics, to do a "save" at a nice spot....take a pic that shows bump mapping, some PS2.0, and maybe some reflections.
then, change settings, so as to loose the PS2.0, bump mapping, and lower the refections....load the "save", and take another pic

this should help OC550 understand what he'll see with a good framerate.
but why drive yourself nuts with all the pics....
he'll never TY and never admit that his ti4200 couldn't do what you show.

getting 40fps, in non action, with just trees, is far from what he'll get with the real game.

once the action heats up, his frames will dip to 25....smooth to him, but not to me. (and almost no eye candy for him)

mica

Cerberus2k7
04-12-04, 12:12 PM
i want my 9800pro now :(

Valk
04-12-04, 03:13 PM
That is so well said IMOG. You really bring up a key point in video games. they are there to entertain us of course, but they are also there to give us an escape.
To kick start our senses and imagination.
Most of us will never see a lush tropical island. will never ben involved in a life and death struggle between good and evil.
hell, most people never even fly in their lifetime.

I have to say, this year for games has given me those feelings again. when i was much younger, I was totally into games. good rpgs were as good an escape as a well written novel. but things never changed. then i picked up ff11 and farcry.. and omg...
Games are actully immersive again. belivable and... well. fun.

I dont give my upgrade from r8500 -9800 that much credit.. in older games, it really is just frames.. but in NEW games... its the difference between black and white.

I posted some screens i took from the demo a while back oc550. they are run in full direct x9..
im sure that pretty much everyone on these forums rapes my system. they can run higher resolutions and probably a little higher details, but i still find those screens damn good.
I need to get my hands on the full version. who cares about being goot at fps games,.. its a vacation.

murdok5
04-12-04, 07:25 PM
settings all on high....1024.....2x AA and 2x AF....average about 40 or so FPS outside....70 or so inside.....go near a light...adn damn.....goes to like 30:( hahahahah

u can see system in sig.....

Cerberus2k7
04-12-04, 07:32 PM
woohoo! I just got BF1942! now I can see how pimp it looks on this GF2!

Oh wait...im a few years behind arent I? :p

Yuriman
04-12-04, 09:43 PM

What nobody has told him yet, is that screenshots DONT TELL ANYTHING. The 9800 makes the game seem as though its is alive and breathing. Sure, a screenshot looks good, but it cant show you what you need to see.

I remember going from my 9100 to my 9500, and I thought it looked good. Then my 9500 died, and after just 5 minutes of playing on my 9100, I almost cried. I had noticed the 9500 was a bit faster, but only after having to go back do you realy realize what it is you had.

EDIT: This is kinda off topic, but try playing farcry with the music turned off, and have your media player playing The Entertainer in the background. It is SO FRIKKIN FUNNY!!

TruckyJ
04-12-04, 10:16 PM
Here are some more images:

http://jupiter.walagata.com/w/truckyj/FarCry0018.jpg

Realtime lighting and bumpmapping. Shoot the light and it all reacts accordingly. Glorious.

http://jupiter.walagata.com/w/truckyj/FarCry0026.jpg

DX9 Steam effects. The still does not do it justice.

I.M.O.G.
04-12-04, 10:18 PM
Note that these are bmps saved as jpegs through mspaint - also, I noticed that the screenies could not capture the full lighting effects for some reason - I was alt-tabbing back and forth while I was capturing, and it was plain to see that the game was much brighter and vivid than the pictures. Well since thats out of the way, on with the show...

Exhibit A:

Don't let the reflection of trees off the water, or the waves crashing on the beach, or the shadows cast on the rippled sand from above distract you - this is a picture of the bark on this viny tree trunk, and a picture of the shadows its leaves cast on my machete.

TruckyJ
04-12-04, 10:20 PM
http://jupiter.walagata.com/w/truckyj/FarCry0035.jpg

Realtime reflections. I don't know how the GF4 Ti series does with this, anyone who runs far cry with a GF4 TI care to post a screen with framerate?

http://jupiter.walagata.com/w/truckyj/FarCry0036.jpg

Lots of pixel shading. Pixel shader 2.0 in great use here, from the glass to how the flooring reacts with light. Great stuff. Bumpmapping is used pretty heavily in this screen as well.

http://jupiter.walagata.com/w/truckyj/FarCry0051.jpg

Realtime lighting again. Beautious. Bumpmapping on the walls to create the rough texture.

I.M.O.G.
04-12-04, 10:22 PM
Exhibit B:

This is a picture of how metal and rust should appear in a game.

I.M.O.G.
04-12-04, 10:26 PM
Exhibit C:

Notice the end of the tank to the left of my aiming reticle - it is actually a smoothly rounded tank at the end, but the hot steam coming from the pipe causes heat distortion. If you look right at the steem you can see it there where the floor meets the wall also. It is much more noticeable and exaggerated in the game.

I.M.O.G.
04-12-04, 10:28 PM
Exhibit D:

Palm branches, the sun baking down on them, looking supple and alive.

I.M.O.G.
04-12-04, 10:30 PM
Exhibit E:

Grass never looked this good... well, maybe it did to cows, but I never found it this attractive until now. The grass makes the jungle - it makes it feel full instead of like you are just standing between a couple bushes, it's not patchy or sparse in most places, but thick, tall, and full.

I.M.O.G.
04-12-04, 10:35 PM
Exhibit F... As in, "this guys F'n dead":

Somebody left a floater. The bottom of the shoe looks much different in the game, but you can still see how it appears somewhat rubbery here. Look closely at the ocean floor also. The shadows are pretty high quality in this game.

TruckyJ
04-12-04, 10:43 PM
Thanks for the extra input IMOG. :cool:

Buhammot
04-12-04, 10:45 PM
Have any of you applied for the Marketing and Sales section of CryTek? I think I may have to go and buy the game SOON! I wanna see how it looks on my 5900se

Buhammot
04-12-04, 10:52 PM
On the last message from TruckyJ, one thing that he didnt point out was the hand and machette. Different and more appealing bump mapping and specularity. Although close, as the developers intended it to be, there are some differences that just bring the game into a new light....

I.M.O.G.
04-12-04, 10:58 PM
/IMOG stands up and money falls from pockets

Who, me? Hm-uh, I'm not on Crytek payroll. No way! :D

Trucky: I like some of the pictures you selected; good choices. Sorry my first post got mixed into your screenies, I can see if a mod wouldn't mind switching them if you care.

Buhammot: After seeing the comparison side by side, if I had to use one word to describe OC550's picture compared to Trucky's it would be this - Muddy. Like you mentioned, the hand is less detailed, and like trucky mentioned, there is much less light and life in OC's, and it seems to make the colors look dull and cold. While you look down the path in Trucky's you can see where the light shines through ahead... OC's screenie is very undifferentiated.

Overclocker550
04-12-04, 11:02 PM
thanks for the pics! those are some nice ones, id need to get to those places in the game and compare. The tree pic where I took with my ti4200, I noticed my fps is 1 higher than yours. I can see my gamma has been darkened somewhat. My shadows show more and look more realistic. yours looks good. Id say its noon based on your pics and its afternoon on mine. I notice your knife color is slightly different. The biggest thing I notice is I need to use some AF, my ground is a bit blurry compared to yours. Once I get AF id be hard pressed to see the difference unless I carefully look side by side but I just play the game :)

Buhammot
04-12-04, 11:04 PM
Sometimes, just playing the game on one computer while it is being played on another with different hardware is the only real way to tell.

Overclocker550
04-12-04, 11:09 PM
If its that hard to tell the difference, this is further proof my ti4200 is just fine

Droban
04-12-04, 11:14 PM
thanks for the pics! those are some nice ones, id need to get to those places in the game and compare. The tree pic where I took with my ti4200, I noticed my fps is 1 higher than yours. I can see my gamma has been darkened somewhat. My shadows show more and look more realistic. yours looks good. Id say its noon based on your pics and its afternoon on mine. I notice your knife color is slightly different. The biggest thing I notice is I need to use some AF, my ground is a bit blurry compared to yours. Once I get AF id be hard pressed to see the difference unless I carefully look side by side but I just play the game :)

Yea it will not be enjoyable with AF on.

TruckyJ
04-12-04, 11:25 PM

My screens are almost all 37fps. Far Cry seems to run at half of whatever the monitors refresh rate when vsync is enabled rather than jump around with framerates a bunch.

As far as your shadows looking more realistic...that's all opinion. I have per pixel lighting enabled the vegitation, so It should be more accurate that way. Do you run your mipmapping at the highest performance setting? Your mipmaps look very simplfied and unblended with that screen you showed.

If you ever get the full game, or if anyone else has a DX8 card, some screens would be interesting for comparison.

TruckyJ
04-12-04, 11:27 PM
/Trucky: I like some of the pictures you selected; good choices. Sorry my first post got mixed into your screenies, I can see if a mod wouldn't mind switching them if you care.

I don't care at all. We both were trying to show the same thing I believe, so no worries.

dreIU
04-12-04, 11:56 PM
OMG, I just got the game today and it absolutely rocks!!! wow, it looks SO goood! I kind of wish the fram rate was in the mid 100's like in CoD, but it's a whole other game. I am very pleased with the 9800pro.

AND, wtf!! I didnt know that the game had monsters in it!! Unless it is too late and my eyes are fooling me, I could have swore I saw some in some pics on the previous page. :D

Edit: yeah I did see monsters... are they as mean and nasty as they look? :eek:

I.M.O.G.
04-12-04, 11:58 PM
Even if your gamma was darkened, the delta from a bright spot to a dark spot is still far less in yours... If trucky's gamma were darkened, there would be much more differentiations between light and dark in his still... I mean look at the closest short tree to the left in that screenshot - your leaves are all one color, his show the shine of the sun; your trunk is flat and looks like a flat texture, while his trunk is textured and looks like a tree trunk.

The shadows are falling in the same places in both pictures - the time of day is the same.

OC550: You don't need to compare exact places, thats why my pictures are so specific on what they show. I knew you would have a hard time agreeing with anyone if someone gave you a whole screenshot to interpret - and I'm on 56k so I made mine smaller.

These pictures are neat. If you could, do me a few favors:

1) Go up to any viny tree in the jungle, similar to the viny tree I pictured, and get a screeny from similar range. I would like to see how your detail (bark and surface) is rendered.

2) Also take a screenie of any metal pipe or railing, like the one I took.

3) At the very beggining of the game you start inside and you have to find your way out into the jungle... There is a door you open - take a screeny right after it opens. This will let me see what kind of grass you get. It would be good to have a framerate with this picture also - you can use "\r_displayinfo 1" to display the framerate.

I do not think your picture is too bad, but once you start looking around at your surroundings, there are details everywhere that your card cannot render, and you cannot see - or that is what I think. I think the picture is generic and has no focus.

EDIT: If anyone who has a ti4200 would like to take screenies of these images for me I would appreciate it - you can skip number 3, but I would like to see what the first 2 look like atleast. I wonder a bit what a floater looks like also, and if this card would render the shadow on the ocean floor the same way.

TruckyJ
04-13-04, 12:05 AM
Originally posted by dreIU
Edit: yeah I did see monsters... are they as mean and nasty as they look? :eek:

No, the monsters in far cry are pacifists who love Jesus. :D ;)

Enjoy the game...its a great one.

dreIU
04-13-04, 12:10 AM

No, the monsters in far cry are pacifists who love Jesus. :D ;)

Enjoy the game...its a great one.

LMAO!!!

Oh man, I guess that will get me ready for HL2 and Doom3... which will probabily be more sinister than FarCry... AAAhhhh :cry:

micamica1217
04-13-04, 01:09 AM
first I would like to thank truckyj, imog, for there great job at showing what the 9700/9800's can do in this game....:clap:

Even if your gamma was darkened, the delta from a bright spot to a dark spot is still far less in yours... If trucky's gamma were darkened, there would be much more differentiations between light and dark in his still... I mean look at the closest short tree to the left in that screenshot - your leaves are all one color, his show the shine of the sun; your trunk is flat and looks like a flat texture, while his trunk is textured and looks like a tree trunk.

The shadows are falling in the same places in both pictures - the time of day is the same.

OC550: You don't need to compare exact places, thats why my pictures are so specific on what they show. I knew you would have a hard time agreeing with anyone if someone gave you a whole screenshot to interpret - and I'm on 56k so I made mine smaller.

These pictures are neat. If you could, do me a few favors:

1) Go up to any viny tree in the jungle, similar to the viny tree I pictured, and get a screeny from similar range. I would like to see how your detail (bark and surface) is rendered.

3) At the very beggining of the game you start inside and you have to find your way out into the jungle... There is a door you open - take a screeny right after it opens. This will let me see what kind of grass you get. It would be good to have a framerate with this picture also - you can use "\r_displayinfo 1" to display the framerate.

I do not think your picture is too bad, but once you start looking around at your surroundings, there are details everywhere that your card cannot render, and you cannot see - or that is what I think. I think the picture is generic and has no focus.

EDIT: If anyone who has a ti4200 would like to take screenies of these images for me I would appreciate it - you can skip number 3, but I would like to see what the first 2 look like atleast. I wonder a bit what a floater looks like also, and if this card would render the shadow on the ocean floor the same way.

IMOG, don't waste your breath (or your fingers)...:p

as I've said before, OC550 can not say he sees a big diff in the pics...
otherwise he can't keep bragging how good his ti4200 is.

""The tree pic where I took with my ti4200, I noticed my fps is 1 higher than yours""

meaning: OC550 is trying to bragg how good his card is...
too bad he forgets that trucky is running at 8XAF, with "TRUE" max details, unlike OC550's "forced" lower detail screens.

""I can see my gamma has been darkened somewhat. My shadows show more and look more realistic.""

meaning: OC550 hopes to make a point that his card can render true per pixel lighting if only he brightens the gamma, his pic will look just as good...what a laugh

""Id say its noon based on your pics and its afternoon on mine.""

meaning: I can't admit that my card looks bad in this game, so I'll start saying anything to defend it.

""The biggest thing I notice is I need to use some AF, my ground is a bit blurry compared to yours.""

meaning: if my card was able to use AF without such a huge performance hit I would have the same great image.

notice how he states nothing about bump mapping.....:rolleyes:

WAIT, JUST A MIN.......

did I just see OC550, blatently say he can see the diff with AF turned on?????
hell, he even says, he "NEEDS" to use some AF as his textures are blurry. (someone needs to change his sig)

mica

Cerberus2k7
04-13-04, 02:11 AM
STOP TAUNTING WITH YOUR HIGH END CARDS!!! *Runs off crying* :p

twump
04-13-04, 02:15 AM

show me a host and i'll post an ss of anything you want using my ti4200.

i have an ss of a pipe using no fsaa/af and 1 using full fsaa/af.
i have an ss like the one earlier showing a jeep next to water and i have no reflection or shadow of the jeep whatsoever.

TruckyJ
04-13-04, 02:44 AM
Originally posted by twump

show me a host and i'll post an ss of anything you want using my ti4200.

i have an ss of a pipe using no fsaa/af and 1 using full fsaa/af.
i have an ss like the one earlier showing a jeep next to water and i have no reflection or shadow of the jeep whatsoever.

http://www.walagata.com

Thats what I used. It's not great (space-wise), but its free. I had to use adobe image ready to shrink down the jpeg size so I could fit them all in there.

If anyone else has any other free hosting suggestions, let me know. Cause I wouldn't mind a little more pic. hosting room myself.

Overclocker550
04-13-04, 02:51 AM
STOP TAUNTING WITH YOUR HIGH END CARDS!!! *Runs off crying* :p

heh sorry to hear you are sorely tempted by my ti4200. oneday, it too will be yours to own :D ;)

Cerberus2k7
04-13-04, 03:44 AM
heh sorry to hear you are sorely tempted by the 9800pro. oneday, it too will be yours to own :D ;)

:p

Oh and the thing that impresses me most about this game is the damn detail with the ground!!! :drool:

Jimbob7
04-13-04, 05:00 AM
Ill post some pics with my GF4 4600Ti. I just got this game so let me play it some first :D

Albuquerque
04-13-04, 10:02 AM
Ok guys, if you need hosting JUST FOR THIS THREAD, then you can use a small account I've built on my own personal webspace here:

ftp into www.hyundaiproject.com, use this userid: ocforums#hyundaiproject.com and use the password "farcry" (no quotes, all lower case). Go into the Public_HTML folder, and you can drop your JPEG files there.

Please ONLY use compressed picture files (JPEG, PNG, etc) do NOT use any form of non-compressed (Bitmap) file or I will delete it. Also do not place any other types of files except image files.

Once you have uploaded your file, you may link it by using this parent url: http://www.hyundaiproject.com/~ocforums/

Thus, if you upload a picture called FarCry0007.jpg, your image link would be this: http://www.hyundaiproject.com/~ocforums/FarCry0007.jpg (and yes, it IS case sensitive).

If I find anyone using that share for posts other than this thread or forum, or uploading files that are NOT images, or are using it basically for any other reason than putting screenshots into this thread, then I'll pull the share.

In other words, play nice and I'll provide the playground. First rule breaker will break it for everyone else; I get 500mb of storage and 5gb/mo of transfer and I'm not going to go broke supporting someone who's jacking around with my site. :)

I.M.O.G.
04-13-04, 10:50 AM
Email maxvla copies of your screenshots, and he will host them no problem. Might want to PM him first, but I doubt he would mind anyways.

micamica1217
04-13-04, 10:57 AM
Ok guys, if you need hosting JUST FOR THIS THREAD, then you can use a small account I've built on my own personal webspace here:

ftp into www.hyundaiproject.com, use this userid: ocforums#hyundaiproject.com and use the password "farcry" (no quotes, all lower case)

going out to buy full game today....

I hope you don't mind if I post some pics (I'll try to do all pics with/without bumpmapping, PS2.0/1.1, and anything else I can think of).

I'll keep the amount down to only a few examples...

mica

Cerberus2k7
04-13-04, 10:58 AM
Too bad DomainDLX stopped giving unlimited bandwidth :(

Overclocker550
04-13-04, 11:47 AM
where can u buy the full game and for how much? I may get that game too

Cerberus2k7
04-13-04, 12:10 PM
EB Games and Frys electronics both have it for $40

Albuquerque
04-13-04, 01:05 PM

going out to buy full game today....

I hope you don't mind if I post some pics (I'll try to do all pics with/without bumpmapping, PS2.0/1.1, and anything else I can think of).

I'll keep the amount down to only a few examples...

mica

I eventually got that post edited (damn man, crazy forum errors!) -- as long as they're JPEG format, you can post a considerable number before you mess up my bandwidth :) Don't worry, I definately will be keeping an eye on the ol' bandwidth-o-meter.

You really have to beat up a website to get 5gb of transfer a month from simple JPEG files :)

I.M.O.G.
04-13-04, 02:09 PM
I think best buy or circuit city had it for $30 a week ago or so, dunno if that was a sale or not. For $40 this is a great game deal, for $30 its ridiculous.

dreIU
04-13-04, 02:23 PM
Yeah it was 29 at bestbuy on saturday, I dont know why I didnt jump on it. It is now 39 at bestbuy. This game absolutely rocks, I dont think Ive liked a game this much in a long time.

micamica1217
04-13-04, 02:42 PM

I eventually got that post edited (damn man, crazy forum errors!) -- as long as they're JPEG format, you can post a considerable number before you mess up my bandwidth :) Don't worry, I definately will be keeping an eye on the ol' bandwidth-o-meter.

You really have to beat up a website to get 5gb of transfer a month from simple JPEG files :)

your linky no work......please give new link

btw, I may have to wait till fri to pick up the game...:(

oh well, back to BF:V :p

mica

Albuquerque
04-13-04, 02:44 PM
I'm very sure it works... But it's not directly "clickable", you have to ftp into it. Here's a clickable link for the FTP upload:

ftp://www.hyundaiproject.com
At that prompt, type in the given ID and PW and you're set.

micamica1217
04-13-04, 02:51 PM
I'm very sure it works... But it's not directly "clickable", you have to ftp into it. Here's a clickable link for the FTP upload:

ftp://www.hyundaiproject.com
At that prompt, type in the given ID and PW and you're set.

me must be dumber the crap....I can't seem to get the site, were I can put in a password.

I did get a site about a car.....???:rolleyes:

Albuquerque
04-13-04, 03:01 PM
Hyundai <-- car manufacturer
Project <-- completely rebuilding, turbocharging, and direct-port nitrous'ing said car :p

I'm not sure why you can't get to it, the link above is directly clickable. But since I'm on IE, maybe that's the difference? Internet Explorer will parse that URL and prompt for an FTP password. If you're not on IE, you may need to run FTP manually. In which case, you'll have to use Windows' built-in FTP application, or else something user friendly like CuteFTP.

I've tested the above link on five different workstations at my office under IE5 and IE6, as well as 2000 and XP and they all work right out of the box.

micamica1217
04-13-04, 03:10 PM
I had FTP turned off....:rolleyes:

OK, if I get the game tomorrow I'll use your site.

thanks for everything.

mica

Albuquerque
04-13-04, 03:13 PM
:D Just glad it's working for ya, I wasn't sure if maybe I was being stupid with the site redirector so I was concerned :p

I'll consider leaving it partially open for threads like this, but we'll see how the bandwidth and storage goes before I make any decisions. That site is mostly torn down now because I've been using it for everything BUT my car...

micamica1217
04-13-04, 06:45 PM
this is just a test.....

1024x768 and 2xAA

what most will see in demo (read: OC550)
http://www.hyundaiproject.com/~ocforums/farcry00001.jpg

what I see with reflections
http://www.hyundaiproject.com/~ocforums/farcry00002.jpg

can some one tell me how to force bump mapping with the demo???

mica

Vertical_Zer0
04-13-04, 06:54 PM
Wow. That's just nice. Wow.

Uhm, anyway... I was wondering if you guys think it would be worth upgrading my ti4600 to one of those Sapphire 9800pro's for around $200 at newegg? I really want to (because I play EVERYTHING with max eye candy! Heehee!) but I'm afraid it might not be worth it, with the new sockets and motherboard platforms and all that crap coming this summer/fall... and before you ask, $200 is about the max I'll pay so I'm seriously considering this right now.

micamica1217
04-13-04, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by Vertical_Zer0
Wow. That's just nice. Wow.

Uhm, anyway... I was wondering if you guys think it would be worth upgrading my ti4600 to one of those Sapphire 9800pro's for around $200 at newegg? I really want to (because I play EVERYTHING with max eye candy! Heehee!) but I'm afraid it might not be worth it, with the new sockets and motherboard platforms and all that crap coming this summer/fall... and before you ask, $200 is about the max I'll pay so I'm seriously considering this right now.

the real question is...can you wait a few days for reviews???

you see, the new cards might be well worth the extra cash...
if you can hold on to your mobo for at least a year or two.

can you give more system info...cpu/mobo/system ram ?

mica

Vertical_Zer0
04-13-04, 06:59 PM
Sure. I have an MSI kt333 running an amd xp2500 at 2.21gHz. I have 512mb of Geil pc3200 (which i also want to up to 1gb).

I.M.O.G.
04-13-04, 07:00 PM
Ed wrote on the frontpage that he thinks AGP may dissappear as soon as 6 months. I disagree, and think that a year or more is a lot more likely.

Anyways, you need to consider how often you upgrade video cards and mobos. PCI-e will be eliminating AGP on mobos in the not so distant future, so if you get a vid card now you need to consider how that may affect your future if you are planning further upgrades.

Vertical_Zer0
04-13-04, 07:02 PM
Yes that is one thing that I am worried about. I have had my ti4600 for a year and a half now, and I have had the rest of my system for about 8 months. So I'm just not sure yet. And no offense to Ed or anything, he's a great guy and all, but I also disagree. I think AGP will be around until at least Winter... I didn't know he had said that, since I quit reading the front page due to his constant AMD bashing... But that's completely off topic. Before anyone rips into me, no I'm not an amd boy... I have 5 intels and 1 AMD...

micamica1217
04-13-04, 07:06 PM
yeah, get the extra 512mb of memory for this game, as well as a few others.

btw, you should be quite fine with a 9800pro, but the newer cards might be an option.
AMD seems to be sticking with AGP for at least a year...
so if you need a new mobo, you'll have at lest a few options with AGP.

I'll be sticking with my mobo for at least a year....
so I might jump on the newer cards.

(I buy a new card about once a year...by this summer, I just might upgrade.)

mica

Vertical_Zer0
04-13-04, 07:17 PM
By the way, when I do the /r_displayinfo 1 thing in the demo, nothing happens! Actually, in the middle of the screen it says that my player actually "says" that... so I don't know what's wrong here. Anyone able to help?

TruckyJ
04-13-04, 08:53 PM
It should be:

\r_displayinfo 1

Not:

/r_displayinfo 1

Cerberus2k7
04-13-04, 09:06 PM
Ok, and i dont have this game nor have i played it, but is it one of those games where you have to use the '`' or esc key to bring up the console to type in actual commands, and then 't' to talk? If you can talk. :p

dreIU
04-13-04, 09:38 PM
Ok, and i dont have this game nor have i played it, but is it one of those games where you have to use the '`' or esc key to bring up the console to type in actual commands, and then 't' to talk? If you can talk. :p

Yeah buddy, it sure is! Great game too. I hate those damn monsters, they can jump so far and claw the crap out of you!! :eek:

TruckyJ
04-13-04, 09:39 PM

'`' brings up the console...

'esc' brings you back to the main menu...

'T' allows you to talk/chat in multiplayer...

NO LIFE
04-13-04, 11:09 PM
OK. I have a 9800pro so I jacked up all my settings. That means AA/AF all the way up, 1600x1200, and every detail at very high. You can see my display thingy to confirm.

http://www.hyundaiproject.com/~ocforums/water.jpg
http://www.hyundaiproject.com/~ocforums/water2.jpg
http://www.hyundaiproject.com/~ocforums/water3.jpg
http://www.hyundaiproject.com/~ocforums/bumpmap.jpg
http://www.hyundaiproject.com/~ocforums/lighting.jpg
http://www.hyundaiproject.com/~ocforums/lighting2.jpg

My favorite is the first....with water and blue reflection. The ones called lighting were takin in an area with a lamp hanging overhead. When you shoot the lamp it swings around and casts the light accordingly. I took the shots 2 in a row to show how the light/shadows change.

I would like to see a 4200 do those :cool:

PS-Special thanks to Albuquerque for the hosting. I hope I did it right cuz imma newb! ;)

Albuquerque
04-13-04, 11:15 PM
Niiiiiiiiiiice pics :) You're making me want to run upstairs and break out the 1600x1200 action on my rig :D Good choices on the bumpmap and the lighting, I like it:)

twump
04-13-04, 11:20 PM
what level were those lighting ss's taken? i'll go take some ss's of the same scene on my ti 4200

NO LIFE
04-13-04, 11:25 PM
towards the end of lvl "control" I believe.

Cerberus2k7
04-14-04, 12:13 AM
15fps?! holy crap! that game really rapes your card I see. I dont see how a 4200 could run that if the 9800pros are taking a good beating!

NO LIFE
04-14-04, 12:31 AM
Well, thats with everything cranked to the MAX. I run the game normally at 1152x864 without aa/af and all details max with about 40-60 FPS even in heavy action. I think that is pretty good considering its in DX9 mode.

A 4200 could run it with the same settings, but it would be forced into DX8 mode and would look like crap compared to mine.

The Ti4200 technically CANT render the same image I am seeing on my 9800pro. So it is hard to even compare the two. It is like running 3dmark03 on a ti4200. :)

twump
04-14-04, 02:09 AM
Originally posted by NO LIFE
Well, thats with everything cranked to the MAX. I run the game normally at 1152x864 without aa/af and all details max with about 40-60 FPS even in heavy action. I think that is pretty good considering its in DX9 mode.

A 4200 could run it with the same settings, but it would be forced into DX8 mode and would look like crap compared to mine.

The Ti4200 technically CANT render the same image I am seeing on my 9800pro. So it is hard to even compare the two. It is like running 3dmark03 on a ti4200. :)

i'll try to go take some ss's of that scene on my ti with max fsaa/af and no fsaa/af.

twump
04-14-04, 02:50 AM
alright heres a test. this one is my ti4200's version of alb's lighting pic.
http://www.hyundaiproject.com/~ocforums/4200lighting2.jpg

this is with all in game settings to max but has no fsaa and no AF

twump
04-14-04, 02:55 AM
now here is a pic in the same place with max fsaa and max AF. that 11fps was the max i got and it only did that for a brief moment. it was more like 7-9 fps
http://www.hyundaiproject.com/~ocforums/4200lightingfsaa2.jpg

now i'll do a couple SS's of a pipe like IMOG asked for earlier.
first with no fsaa/AF. notice the complete lack of bumpmapping.
http://www.hyundaiproject.com/~ocforums/pipenofsaa.jpg

and now the same place with max FSAA/AF. notice still no bumpmapping. ew so ugly
http://www.hyundaiproject.com/~ocforums/pipefullfsaa.jpg

and last but not least here is my ti4200's version of that jeep pic posted in the beginning of this thread. notice no shadows and now reflection of the jeep whatsoever.
http://www.hyundaiproject.com/~ocforums/jeep.jpg

if you look back someone posted a distance pic using a 9800 pro. notice how in their pic you could clearly make out things in the distance. now notice how on my ti anything over 50ft or so is not much more then a block of color.

TruckyJ
04-14-04, 03:18 AM
9700 Screen for direct comparison. Pixel shader usage isn't that high outdoors. This looks like total garbage compared to the ingame screen...oh well.
http://jupiter.walagata.com/w/truckyj/FarCry0011.jpg

The water reflections are more detailed, the terain is more detailed, the vegetation isn't as simplified. Just a better overall image (as it should be with a more expensive/newer card).

Overclocker550
04-14-04, 05:27 AM
my ti4200 looked better than his, I doubt he had his on max details like mine did. sure I dont get the dx9 effects but all the details were there, I could see stuff in the distance fine

TruckyJ
04-14-04, 05:38 AM
my ti4200 looked better than his, I doubt he had his on max details like mine did. sure I dont get the dx9 effects but all the details were there, I could see stuff in the distance fine

Just like the screenshot you submitted? ;) I thought yours looked about the same as his from what I could see. Honestly, take some more screens if you really wanna convince anyone of anything.

Buhammot
04-14-04, 07:25 AM
OOHHH!!! So beautiful! I got the game last night and I bout crapped my pants... Of course... after I set all the settings on the absolute highest. However some of my OC settings on the vid card werent helping much at all. And like someone here said, screenshots dont do their justice. But for other FPS reasons and so forth...

Sorry for it being so dark, plus I am still working my way through the game. So I may have more screens later if anyone wants, at full size that is.

Albuquerque
04-14-04, 07:37 AM
I love that last screenshot where you can see the bullet tracers reflecting in the water :D

Buhammot
04-14-04, 07:52 AM
I only notice choppyness during some areas where there is 2+ lights with everything bump mapped and just wicked insane. But it gets to as low as 15-20 fps at times, usually about 40-50+

micamica1217
04-14-04, 08:06 AM

giving "FALSE" information as to the quality of your image(s), does nothing but discredit yourself, this post, and this forum.

please back up what you say with IQ pics, with framerate listed....

mica

Nandro
04-14-04, 08:50 AM
I reverted my Ti back to earlier drivers, which allowed me to OC my card more, but i couldnt even get 3/FPS, what drivers are the people with Ti's using? My 9800XT gets about 30FPS with everything jacked across the board.

twump
04-14-04, 02:45 PM

ok first off you only played the damn demo.the demo doesn't have the same detail level as the full game. so no you were not using max settings

second i listed the settings i used. seeing things in the distance and seeing details in the distance is a totally different thing.

just face it our cards suck compared to 9800's

twump
04-14-04, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by Nandro
I reverted my Ti back to earlier drivers, which allowed me to OC my card more, but i couldnt even get 3/FPS, what drivers are the people with Ti's using? My 9800XT gets about 30FPS with everything jacked across the board.

i'm running the whatever the newest driver is out. farcry gets cranky when you use older drivers. the demo won't even run if you don't have a certain driver version.

Nandro
04-14-04, 03:00 PM
That must be it, it was playable with the new drivers, but i couldnt crank my Ti anywhere near as high. Regardless, no comparison to my 9800XT.

NO LIFE
04-14-04, 04:17 PM
Farcry looks DAMN good for a DX8 game when it is in that mode. But to really enjoy the game it is a must to play it on a DX9 card with all the fancy gfx enabled.

Here are some more SS, only this time I took them with the settings I use to play the game. So these are the real deal. (Settings: 1152x864, AA=low, Texture filter=trilinear, AA=2, all other settings 'very high'):

http://www.hyundaiproject.com/~ocforums/bumpmap2.jpg

^^This wall looks like I could reach through the monitor and touch it. I cant believe my eyes sometimes.

http://www.hyundaiproject.com/~ocforums/livefire.jpg

^^The heat from the muzzle flash creates the DX9 'heat wave' effect....brilliant!

http://www.hyundaiproject.com/~ocforums/dead.jpg

^^Right before I bite the dust. The blur effect is erie to say the least.

http://www.hyundaiproject.com/~ocforums/bumpmap3.jpg

^^One of the best examples of bumpmapping and shadows I could find. Enjoy the eyecandy :)

http://www.hyundaiproject.com/~ocforums/bloodyfloor.jpg

^^Clean-up isle 4. Looks like a CSI crime scene to me :eek:

http://www.hyundaiproject.com/~ocforums/explosion.jpg

^^The huge flame from my grenade makes the best fire effect in a game to date....imo.

http://www.hyundaiproject.com/~ocforums/lighting3.jpg

^^The only exception would be this picture which I took with all settings maxed. My favorite room in the game by far :D

PS-again special thanks to Albuquerque for the hosting. I hope I am not eating up too much space, but I cannot help myself. This game is just soo amazing!! :drool:

micamica1217
04-14-04, 05:06 PM
NO LIFE,

put "IMG" tags on the links so we don't have to click on them.

bla, bla

mica

NO LIFE
04-14-04, 05:08 PM
well since they are about 1.5mb each it would take this page ages to load if someone stopped by on a 56k. Sorry :(

micamica1217
04-14-04, 05:14 PM
well since they are about 1.5mb each it would take this page ages to load if someone stopped by on a 56k. Sorry :(

I remember having 56k....:mad:

your pics are mad nice btw....I wish I picked this game up today.
have to wait till friday.

mica

I.M.O.G.
04-14-04, 05:56 PM
Thanks no life, I appreciate the consideration. :)

I took a look at the pictures while I was at school, but wouldn't bother trying from home. :D

Yuriman
04-14-04, 06:03 PM
OMG I CANT WAIT, im getting a 9700 soon, and farcry is mine tommorow. I wish mister mushkin avatar would get my MO faster;

TruckyJ
04-14-04, 06:06 PM

No problem. I assumed thats what the deal was. Nice screens by the way.

I hear Far Cry will be supporting PS 3.0.....I'm curious as to what extent that will be implimented. I saw some pics from the 6800u, and they were messed up looking like the 5950's renderings using PS 2.0. Should be interesting.

Cerberus2k7
04-14-04, 06:09 PM
What's up with http://www.hyundaiproject.com/~ocforums/lighting3.jpg ? It might just be my comp, but i see some weird distortion around the rails.

TruckyJ
04-14-04, 06:14 PM
What's up with http://www.hyundaiproject.com/~ocforums/lighting3.jpg ? It might just be my comp, but i see some weird distortion around the rails.

I've noticed that as well. It appears on my computer as well as other screenshots I've seen.

My guess is that its just a limitation of the engine. The rails seem to be factored into the water reflections for some reason.

Cerberus2k7
04-14-04, 06:35 PM
Maybe his oc is too high?

Buhammot
04-14-04, 08:43 PM
Well when you are near any water, hold out the knife, I think the results are similar. Some of the refractions actually go into the extent of the knife. Looks wierd.

TruckyJ
04-14-04, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by Buhammot
Well when you are near any water, hold out the knife, I think the results are similar. Some of the refractions actually go into the extent of the knife. Looks wierd.

Same here. Seems to be an issue with the how cryengine works.

Cerberus2k7
04-14-04, 10:15 PM
Looks like the beta testers didnt find something. ;)

Ad Rock
04-15-04, 01:22 AM
Well I installed the Catalyst 4.4 Drivers tonight and now I am able to run everything on High without any chopping. I dont have any AA turned on however so that might be why I have the breating room now.

bldegle2
04-15-04, 09:26 AM
micamica1217

this is just a test.....

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

like they say, a picture is worth a thousand words, in this case, two pictures.

OCC550, it is so obvious. you have never tasted better graphics first hand with your rig, so no matter what anyone sez or posts pic wise will convince you of anything.

still waiting for the screenies everyone has been asking for, heck, you even got free hosting to prove your points.

i have a ti4400 128 by ASUS, it is a nice card, but it pales in comparison to either the 9700 PRO or the 9800 PRO, both cards I have had in my rig.

talk all you want, you are missing tons of 'eye candy' and the perceptions that come with the higher detail of the ATI units.

you can overclock the crud out of your TI4200, have your desired bragging rights and 3DMark record scores, but all you will have is an overclocked TI4200.......................

two pictures with such a drastic difference.............

waiting..................

baldy

NO LIFE
04-15-04, 02:10 PM
Hrm...didnt notice the messed up railing. I think we can let crytek get away with this one.... :)

Albuquerque
04-15-04, 02:24 PM
I'm really curious if the railing is "fixed" in-game, but somehow shows up wierd in the screencaps. I never recall seeing that type of distortion in the game, but it's very obvious in a screenshot. I would think that it would be obvious in the game since it stands out so much in the screenies...

I'll check that out tonight.

Cerberus2k7
04-15-04, 02:33 PM
Maybe MSpaint can't even handle the bad-assness of farcry ;)

micamica1217
04-15-04, 02:38 PM
Maybe MSpaint can't even handle the bad-assness of farcry ;)

LOL, ah yeah, what he said.

mica

Albuquerque
04-15-04, 05:44 PM
Yeah, guess it does happen in real life... I never once noticed that before, but now it's bugging me! Auuugghh! :p It doesn't seem to happen in the ocean, just in the small bodies of water inside.

NO LIFE
04-15-04, 07:00 PM
I dont get the MSpaint joke...haha. :(

Vertical_Zer0
04-15-04, 08:04 PM
Hmm... I am having a very odd problem with the demo. Every now and then, I will hear an extremely loud and disturbing screeching noise (kind of like something out of the Matrix movies) and then the sound is just GONE until i close the demo and start it back up again. Funny thing is, it used to happen right as i got off the boat that you start on, and now it waits until i reach the main island or sometimes the indoor part even. Any ideas? Running an Audigy LS on Altec Lansing 2.1 speakers if that helps anything.

I.M.O.G.
04-15-04, 10:48 PM
The demo seems very dodgy from what I have heard - a lot more problems than full version 1.1

Try changing the audio quality in settings, and if that makes no difference, play with the hardware settings of your card and test. It might just be a bug in the demo with your hardware though.

MaxPowers_68
04-15-04, 11:36 PM
this game is so demanding from your system, if that ****s not "up to par" it wont be used to its full potential.

Cerberus2k7
04-16-04, 12:39 AM
I dont get the MSpaint joke...haha. :(

Because FarCry is so graphic intensive on your video card when in action MSpaint is having problems keeping up with it just frame by frame because the game is so kick ass. :p

micamica1217
04-16-04, 11:31 AM
I'm running out to get FAR CRY now....I'll be back tonight with some pics....:D

*mica is getting chills, just thinking about the game*

mica

stereo555
04-16-04, 11:50 AM

*mica is getting chills, just thinking about the game*

LOL ....with good reason . Game is XINT !!! (just the way the water sceens look , makes me want to go fishing right then and there) :D

Cerberus2k7
04-16-04, 12:29 PM
Im gonna have to wait on the game. :( At least until I can get some more money in. That's okay though. I have KOTOR to hold me over for the time being. And I have to wait for the card to come in. :D

NO LIFE
04-16-04, 02:12 PM
The game is taking me forever to finish because I stop every 5 minutes to drool over the gfx and test out the physics. Best-FPS-EVER. Sorry HL. :)

TruckyJ
04-16-04, 02:12 PM
Im gonna have to wait on the game. :( At least until I can get some more money in. That's okay though. I have KOTOR to hold me over for the time being. And I have to wait for the card to come in. :D

KOTOR was/is a great game. I had a blast doing the dark side path and pulling dick moves on charecters...heh.

Flashfx2
04-16-04, 03:39 PM
Last night I popped in a cheap stick of 256 bringing me up to 768. Even with running the memory at 80% of the fsb speed the loading times are much quicker and there is zero choppiness. It makes the game so much more enjoyable not having to deal with the game being choppy the first time you open doors/shoot/use binoculars....

Cerberus2k7
04-16-04, 03:40 PM
I only had like 20 hours on that game when I formatted, thankfully I pulled my save files. :D I'm going the way of Jebus right now but I am slowly slipping to the dark side. ;)

micamica1217
04-16-04, 03:58 PM
I'M BACK!!!

just came back from EBgames.....
sold all my old games (KotOR included).

just came back with Splinter Cell:PT an Far Cry.....payed$13.01 for both games.:D
I think I spent more on gas just to get there....:p
(and the place is 5 mins away)

anyway, about far cry....

WOW

just started playing, and it's so nice.
took me 10 min just to get the binoculars...
I too can't help but look around for days at stuff.
man, I need a fishing pole.

well, I have to run out again and get some KFC to eat.
then back to the game.

(poor lady's not getting sex for days :p )

mica

Cerberus2k7
04-16-04, 04:03 PM
LMAO mica glad you like it. Too bad I sold all my games already for this MX700 and BF1942 :( Oh well, pending on how much money the card leaves me with, I might just pick it up.

dreIU
04-16-04, 04:53 PM
I'M BACK!!!

just came back from EBgames.....
sold all my old games (KotOR included).

just came back with Splinter Cell:PT an Far Cry.....payed$13.01 for both games.:D
I think I spent more on gas just to get there....:p
(and the place is 5 mins away)

anyway, about far cry....

WOW

just started playing, and it's so nice.
took me 10 min just to get the binoculars...
I too can't help but look around for days at stuff.

well, I have to run out again and get some KFC to eat.
then back to the game.

mica

How is Pandora Tomorrow? I was at BestBuy yesterday (and picked up UT2K4 DVD version, w00t!) and I saw that it requires a mere DX8 card.. does that mean that the game is NOT DX9?

Anyway, is it a good game? I am interested in it, and have not yet got a chance to play the demo.

micamica1217
04-16-04, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by dreIU

How is Pandora Tomorrow? I was at BestBuy yesterday (and picked up UT2K4 DVD version, w00t!) and I saw that it requires a mere DX8 card.. does that mean that the game is NOT DX9?

Anyway, is it a good game? I am interested in it, and have not yet got a chance to play the demo.

I've only played the demo to SC:PT, so I can't realy say...
yet with the CAT 3.7 drivers I was able to use AA and AF with no bugs.
if you liked the first game you'll love the new one.

(you just don't get any AA with the night vision...but no tearing like in the first game)

btw, yes, UT2k4 has only max PS1.4 .....still a DX8.1 game.

mica

Nandro
04-16-04, 06:15 PM
Yea, UT2004 was just as fast on my Ti as my 9800XT, Farcry was a world apart.

stereo555
04-16-04, 07:07 PM

mica

ROFL ...... heh heh , go Mica go !!! :cool:

Keep us informed on the new Splinter Cell would ya ... ;)

*note* using the new Cat 4.4 drivers , so I'll keep ya updated on how well they do in Fry Cry .

Cerberus2k7
04-16-04, 07:13 PM
*Passes out* I wish the damn money would get into my bank account already! I want that pro. :( hopefully by Tuesday :( I already have the VGA silencer and I just ordered some RAMsinks. Gonna test how far she can OC with stock them slap on the extra cooling. :D Where can I get the Demo for FarCry? I wanna see how bad it rapes this poor GF2 just for fun :D

micamica1217
04-16-04, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by stereo555

ROFL ...... heh heh , go Mica go !!! :cool:

Keep us informed on the new Splinter Cell would ya ... ;)

*note* using the new Cat 4.4 drivers , so I'll keep ya updated on how well they do in Fry Cry .

I'm back to the Cat 3.7's for good...nothing better for me.
I'll need a few days for FarCry, so I'll PM ya about how good splinter cell is.

btw, YGPM about BF:V clan I'm trying to start...;)

all the best to you and the family.

mica

micamica1217
04-16-04, 07:21 PM
*Passes out* I wish the damn money would get into my bank account already! I want that pro. :( hopefully by Tuesday :( I already have the VGA silencer and I just ordered some RAMsinks. Gonna test how far she can OC with stock them slap on the extra cooling. :D Where can I get the Demo for FarCry? I wanna see how bad it rapes this poor GF2 just for fun :D

you can get it anyware...gamespy was good to me today with no waiting. try that.
btw, there are two demos...have fun.

mica

Cerberus2k7
04-16-04, 07:43 PM
ooh sweet, thanks. :D Now I just need to see if I can remember my GS ID lol

stereo555
04-16-04, 09:13 PM

you can get it anyware...gamespy was good to me today with no waiting. try that.
btw, there are two demos...have fun.

mica

Hey Mica ... your PM box is full ... I need to send you a PM . Clean that puppy out ... lol ;) :D

Cerberus2k7
04-16-04, 09:23 PM
There are 2 demos and a patch FYI. :p Yep, very fast. Getting 3mb/s on there. :D I'm happy.

micamica1217
04-16-04, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by stereo555

Hey Mica ... your PM box is full ... I need to send you a PM . Clean that puppy out ... lol ;) :D

man, too late...I saw you on then cleaned out my box.
bang your gone.:(

mica

recruting for BF:V...man like 30 PMs in one day.

Cerberus2k7
04-16-04, 09:57 PM
I'll take you all on with BF:V! Even with this GF2! ;) haha! I'll be lucky if I can play quake 1 with a good frame rate. :p

JU571N
04-16-04, 10:20 PM
SC:PT is pretty good, but not too much different from the first one. THe real value is the multiplayer, it's the best. It has to be the most intense multiplayer game I've ever played. When you're a spy, there'lll be times when you're sweating nervously and your heart is racing.

Can't really say if it's good or not single player, since I only play 2 levels. Single player is too boring compared to multiplayer.

Farcry runs alittle choppy on my system (in sig). It runs about the same on the lowest settings with no AA/AF as it does on the highest settings with max AA/AF. I'm hoping it's just my cpu, since I'll be getting a mobile 2500+ pretty soon. I've also only played the demo, so maybe the full version will run smoother.

stereo555
04-16-04, 10:29 PM

man, too late...I saw you on then cleaned out my box.
bang your gone.:(

mica

recruting for BF:V...man like 30 PMs in one day.

Got it sent ...thx

Iam busy trying to get back to my position in Far Cry . I started the game at my bro's house and copied the save files for use at my house .... but the save files did NOT work for some reason :( . Now Iam playing "catch-up " to where I was before by having to retart the whole game .... AAAAHHHH CR_P !!! I was at the reasearch center before , and now its kinda tuff to get back there ... LOL . OH well ... such is life :p

OH ... by the way ; the CAT 4.4's work well so far , but I did not do any comparisons with other CAT drivers yet .

robjen
04-16-04, 10:53 PM
bump

micamica1217
04-16-04, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by robjen
bump

why the bump...this thred will never die.

mica

twump
04-16-04, 11:21 PM
he's bumping cuz he likes to get in trouble. most of his posts are "bump"

Cerberus2k7
04-16-04, 11:23 PM

why the bump...this thred will never die.

mica

It's something called 'Spam' ever heard of it? :p I stopped by EB Games right now just to check out the min. reqs for FarCry and they were pretty standard. 256ram, 64meg Dx9 capable video card, 4gigs HDD space, can't remember CPU speed probably 800mhz+. I want to see how HL2 and Doom3 spec everything! :D

Hrmm...I wonder if those specs were for 1fps...:p

Oh, another thing, what is 'IQ'? I've seen it referenced here and I checked the stickies but found nothing. :( I feel n00bish *Runs off crying*

TruckyJ
04-16-04, 11:36 PM
Hrmm...I wonder if those specs were for 1fps...:p

Those specs were for "looks like my cornfed aunt's hairy bum-mode".

Cerberus2k7
04-16-04, 11:40 PM

Those specs were for "looks like my cornfed aunt's hairy bum-mode".

Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad mental images...*Shudders* Now i'm happy for this GF2, the quality will be so bad I can't make anything out. :p

TruckyJ
04-16-04, 11:54 PM

Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad mental images...*Shudders*

:D ;) :D