• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can I run 1 SATA drive and 1 IDE drive concurrently?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MadInsane

Hey guys, i just ordered a DFI infinity to replace my POS msi nforce2. I am going to get a WD 250gb sata drive, can i take this drive and run it at the same time with my ide 120 gb WD drive? Will it cause any problems? ALSO, Do i have to do a windows format when replacing my dfi with my msi mobo, or just uninstall drivers and reinstall? Thanks!! ;)

reformat, windows is registered against your board to prevent piracy and fraud.

try running the sata and ide, I tried it in my abit, however it didn't work, but that was because the sata converter I was using was bust, when I replaced it, I got 2 so I never tried it again, but I would come to believe that it should be fine.

MadInsane said:
Hey guys, i just ordered a DFI infinity to replace my POS msi nforce2. I am going to get a WD 250gb sata drive, can i take this drive and run it at the same time with my ide 120 gb WD drive? Will it cause any problems? ALSO, Do i have to do a windows format when replacing my dfi with my msi mobo, or just uninstall drivers and reinstall? Thanks!! ;)

ALWAYS reformat when installing a new motherboard of a different model. It doesn't have to do with drivers, windows gets to know your motherboard and how to get around in it when you change motherboards without reformatting it confuses Windows or any operating system for that matter. Also Yes you should be able to run you SATA HDD at the same time as your IDE one.

Ya you can do it.

I just installed my 36gb sata wd raptor alongside my old 30 gb wd ide drive. The only thing you have to do is disable the ide primary master in the bios, or the system will boot from the old windows installation. The old drive works as a slave now.

Back