• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I broke my botherboard, is there any way to fix it?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

blackjackel

What happned is that i saw there was a little space between the motherboard and the back of the case, its big enough to fit a "nibbler" tool to cut the back of the case away to exose the back of the motherboard (the poart where the chip is) this is so i can fiddle with the back of the CPU all i want without taking the motherboard out.

There was a hole so i can start nibbling away the back of the casswe, well something went horrible. I cut away at it and i start to realize that i had scratched the back of the motherboardat the art where there are those little micro wire things running around....

I power on and i dont hear a beep ande the screen goes on for a seond ande shuts off, i messed up my botherboard, how can i fix it? I did so many mods on the thing i dont want to get another one, i did a southbridge and nothrbridge mod, a vcc mod and bunch of other tinkerings that i dont want to get another motherboard....

someone lease help

In my hastinesss and sorrow i didnt search before postting this thread as i'm sure anyone would do in a fit of panic....

anyways i went looking around and found many resources for htis, including this overclockers,.com article:
http://www.overclockers.com/tips1139/index03.asp

however that areticle mentions another article that i simly cannot seem to find, can anyone help me out and find that other article.... i am looking for as many ways and reccomentdations for doing this....

Also i read somewhere that i should test the traces with a multimeter to check the resistance so i knw which one got affected, thing is the scratch is retty big and im sure it affected at least 10 of them, and i dont seem to be getting a reading on any of them, i think that stuff covering the traces is the culprit, many recommend scraping it off, but 10 traces? im not too sureabout this...

I would like some feedback fromsomeone who has donethis before,referrably fromsomeone who is not a pro likeme soi can feelbetter about my ability to do this :D but hey if your a pro, be my guest,im looking for arealeasywaytodo this

dude, i'm not a pro so i can't help you w/ your issue.
however, if i may make a suggestion: CLEAN UP YOUR SPELLING.

(also, hackin' your case up while the mobo is in--not very bright)

good luck getting it figured out.

You probably scratched out a lot of the traces on the motherboard. If you want, try a conductive pen to draw them back, however if you went more than one layer deep that won't work.

You also might have had a small piece of metal filing come off of the back of the case, and short out the motherboard. Get a can of air and spray out all around the motherboard to see if that's the problem.

Search the forums, I've seen several threads about repairing broken motherboard traces. It's kind of hit or miss depending on how deeply you've scratched your board.

Back