• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OVerclock help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Macadonious

Overclock help. Mem down clocking

I have the Asus P4C800-E Deluxe and the P4 2.6GHz 800FSB prosessor. Memeory is 2 of Kingston's PC3200 512MB DDR400. I I can overclock the processor successfully, but in doing so, it brings my memeory speed down form 400MHz to 160Mhz. How can I correct this?

Last edited:
im a little iffy about RAM timings but what are you OC to? Your pc3200 ram is rated at DDR 400 meaning it is running at 200mhz doubled (hence double data rate). Your 2.8 cpu runs at 200mhz as well(X4 for fsb and X14 for core speed) That usually means that you need to OC you RAM to get higher CPU OC and keep a 1:1 ratio (someone PLEASE correct me if im wrong) I've heard maybe trying the 5:4 ratio (there are most likely other steps to doing so). You are most likely limited by your RAM and your CPU is downclocking it to get higher speeds. (God I hope Im on the right page here) Anyway, Im just trying to explain what I am grasping thus far, dont take my word on it but hopefully there was something in what I said that helps you out.

Edit: Welcome to the Forums! Im new too! :D

Edge386 said:
im a little iffy about RAM timings but what are you OC to? Your pc3200 ram is rated at DDR 400 meaning it is running at 200mhz doubled (hence double data rate). Your 2.8 cpu runs at 200mhz as well(X4 for fsb and X14 for core speed) That usually means that you need to OC you RAM to get higher CPU OC and keep a 1:1 ratio (someone PLEASE correct me if im wrong) I've heard maybe trying the 5:4 ratio (there are most likely other steps to doing so). You are most likely limited by your RAM and your CPU is downclocking it to get higher speeds. (God I hope Im on the right page here) Anyway, Im just trying to explain what I am grasping thus far, dont take my word on it but hopefully there was something in what I said that helps you out.

Edit: Welcome to the Forums! Im new too! :D
I do know what the ram is rated at and I do know the running time. I can safley up my processor to 3.2GHz, but just bumping it up to 2.8GHz makes my ram rate go down to 160Mhz. My question is, how do I counter-act this from happening?

sounds to me like u have the ram on auto.. just set it to 5/4 then work ur way up with the fsb. now remember just to get the memory at 5/4, to run at its rated speed (200)u have to be running the fsb at 250..

flapperhead said:
sounds to me like u have the ram on auto.. just set it to 5/4 then work ur way up with the fsb. now remember just to get the memory at 5/4, to run at its rated speed (200)u have to be running the fsb at 250..
That would be great except for the fact that the Asus BIOS does not have a 5/4 anywhere in the configuration. Also the ram is on manual. This is the current set-up I have......

In Advance Chipset Setting:
· Configure DRAM Timing SPD change from Enable to Disable
· Cas Latency: 2.5
· Ras Precharge: 3
· Ras to Cas Delay: 3
· Ras Active to Precharge: 8
· DRAM burst Length: 8 Clocks

In Advance go to Jumper Free Configuration then go to Configure System Frequency/Voltage then AI Overclock.
· Turn from Standard to Manual
· CPU External Frequency needs to change to 200MHz
· DRAM Frequency: 400
· AGP/PCI Frequency (MHz): Auto
· CPU Vcore Voltage: Auto
· DDR Reference Voltage: 2.65
· AGP VDDQ 1.25
· Performance Mode: Auto

flapperhead said:
u got a canterwood deluxe mb. that badboy HAS the ratio somewhere.. maybe it listed as 333?
What do you mean thatit maybe listed as 333? What is listed as 333? FSB? If so, that is not the case

Macadonious said:

What do you mean thatit maybe listed as 333? What is listed as 333? FSB? If so, that is not the case

i dont have an asus mb but the mb u have is a very good expensive mb designed for overcloking AND somewhere in the advanced section is a choice to set your dramm frequency ratio to fsb. in the abit boards and most other they are lableled as 1-1 or 5/4 or 3/2 when u select the 800 strap. i was just trying to give u some hints where it might be. why dont u try the mb forums, im SURE someone with that board can tell u.. goodluck flapperhead

flapperhead said:

i dont have an asus mb but the mb u have is a very good expensive mb designed for overcloking AND somewhere in the advanced section is a choice to set your dramm frequency ratio to fsb. in the abit boards and most other they are lableled as 1-1 or 5/4 or 3/2 when u select the 800 strap. i was just trying to give u some hints where it might be. why dont u try the mb forums, im SURE someone with that board can tell u.. goodluck flapperhead
Thanks I will do just that

Sophisticated said:
For Asus Boards
DRAM Frequency [Auto]
400 = 1:1
333 = 5:4
266 = 3:2
Ok, so I am running linear mode. That is fine. Unfortunitly, that does not help me answer my question

Macadonious said:

to answer this question 333 = 5:4 under DRAM Freq. this is the Divider as we call it....the FSB is listed as CPU External Freq. (MHz) [FSB]

ex. say you have a 2.4c it would say....

AI OverClock Tuner [Manual]
CPU External Freq. (MHz) [200]
CPU Ratio [12] This is the multiplier
DRAM Freq. [Auto] but if you want it on a specific Divider choose it manually..and you kno what each means from what i posted earlier...
AGP/PCI Freq (MHz) [Auto] but recommended to lock it at 66.66/33.33
CPU vCore voltage [Auto] if you have instability you can up it by selecting a higher vcore then your default
DDR Reference Voltage [Auto] same for here but its for memory you have oc'd and not stable up the Voltage
AGP VDDQ Voltage [1.50v] Leave Default

Performance Mode [Auto] Leave auto or standard and turbo if you have mem with CAS 2 timmings...

if this isnt the answer what question can you re ask

Sophisticated said:

to answer this question 333 = 5:4 under DRAM Freq. this is the Divider as we call it....the FSB is listed as CPU External Freq. (MHz) [FSB]

ex. say you have a 2.4c it would say....

AI OverClock Tuner [Manual]
CPU External Freq. (MHz) [200]
CPU Ratio [12] This is the multiplier
DRAM Freq. [Auto] but if you want it on a specific Divider choose it manually..and you kno what each means from what i posted earlier...
AGP/PCI Freq (MHz) [Auto] but recommended to lock it at 66.66/33.33
CPU vCore voltage [Auto] if you have instability you can up it by selecting a higher vcore then your default
DDR Reference Voltage [Auto] same for here but its for memory you have oc'd and not stable up the Voltage
AGP VDDQ Voltage [1.50v] Leave Default

Performance Mode [Auto] Leave auto or standard and turbo if you have mem with CAS 2 timmings...

if this isnt the answer what question can you re ask

I will give it a try to see what happens. Thank you very much. Just one thing. I do not see a CPU Ratio setting. Please explain. Or is this a given and is automatic?

Last edited:
Back