• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can I put a MOBILE Athlon XP in a 8K5A2+?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mbigna

I am currently using an Epox EP-8K5A2+ motherboard with a Duron 1 GHz and 512M Kingston Value Ram. I use it mainly as a test bed to diagnose hardware problems. The on-board diagnostic LED has been very useful in helping me track down several hardware problems.

This board is based on the Via KT333 chip set and comes with RAID, LAN, and AC97 Audio. The Award BIOS allows for adjusting the CPU clock in 1 MHz increments from 100 to 255. The multiplier can be adjusted from 6 to 15 and Vcore can be adjusted from 1.4 V to 2.2 V. The DIMM voltage can be adjusted as well.

The manual says that this board supports up to Athlon XP 2000+. I have been considering upgrading this system to a MOBILE Athlon XP 2500+ and possibly getting 512M of some PC2700 (333) RAM. I've updated the board to the latest BIOS version that includes "Added AMD additional Athlon(tm) XP CPU support." But, doesn't mention any speed specifically.

I would like to hear if anyone thinks there would be any issues with using a MOBILE Athlon XP 2400-2600+ processor with this board.

Also, I've been trying to disable the splash screen at boot time (so I can see the BIOS setup details). The instructions are incorrect about where to disable the screen in the BIOS--no such option exists. I would also like to know if anyone has had any experience with a hacked BIOS for this board.

Thanks

Worked for me with xp-m 2500, but i had to manually set the right voltage and multiplier. The motherboard idenified it as a "unknown" XP i think
To disable the splash screen just hit DEL when booting
and choose the page where you change the boot up drive and etc...
go down to the end of that page and there you have it..

sebbe@home said:
Worked for me with xp-m 2500, but i had to manually set the right voltage and multiplier. The motherboard idenified it as a "unknown" XP i think
To disable the splash screen just hit DEL when booting
and choose the page where you change the boot up drive and etc...
go down to the end of that page and there you have it..
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!

I was ripping out my greying hairs looking for that setting! I didn't notice the 'scroll bar' on the right indicating there were more options 'below' the page.

I have another question for you since you are running the same setup. I can set my multiplier to up to 15. HOWEVER, it REALLY only works up to 13 on my machine. 14x and 15x actually run the multiplier at 6x and 7x (or was that 6x and 6.5x?). Anyway, my XP-M is still SUPER COOL and would probably handle higher than 15x at default voltage--unless my memory holds me back somewhere. Have you had the same issue with your multipliers? Have you checked?

Back