• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

To mushkin, or not to mushkin.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

0-one

I have a Dell Dimension 8200 that uses RIMM rd ramm. I have only two sticks of 128 now, and i'm adding another two soon. I've heard alot about Mushkin ram and i hear that they meet alot of high standards of benchmarks. Has anyone had experience with it, and should i save money by going for a cheaper brand?

I have a dell also running RDRAM, and it came with samsung in it. I used samsung to upgrade it. (4x256) now. I have heard before that you should try to keep all of your modules the same in brand and specs. Furthermore, anytime RAM is involved, I believe that performance is limited by the slowest module. This may be more applicable in RAMBUS applications as it is serial RAM. This being the case, mixing "fast" mushkin RIMMS with your stock sticks prolly wouldnt yield noticable results for the money.

I dont claim to be a RAM expert, just posting my experiences with RAMBUS. Maybe someone more learned than me will chime in.

AC

all their(i called them a while back) rdram is made by samsung. i would get it cheaper from a reputible dealer OR mybe check out the classified someone may want to sell dome for cheap.

I'm looking around and thats all i'm seeing. RDRAM is, for what i've seen, over $100 for a stick of 128. And i need two.

yeah it hurts the wallet...you could buy two 256 sticks of 1066 for that price though...check www.pricewatch.com thats where i found mine cheaper.

AC

EDIT: Make sure it matches your current RIMMS as far as latency and ECC or non-ECC. check your manual to find out these numbers

I have it all sorted out now, thanks a million to flapperhead. The wallet wont take too much of a hit. ;)

0-one said:
I have it all sorted out now, thanks a million to flapperhead. The wallet wont take too much of a hit. ;)

u are quite welcome, when i first joined the forums guys like batboy and others were real nice and taught me alot ,now that i have learned some its time to give back...

Back