• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

300MHz FSB, Dual channel ram selection...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

stockhatch

:D I know you all love these types of threads...but I am having a hard time deciding on RAM for my setup.

I HOPE to be able to run my 2.4c up to 3.6 at 300MHz FSB speeds...while this may not happen, I dont want my RAM to be the reason for it.

With that said, are there RAM modules out there that will let me run at a 5:4 divider with decent timings at such rediculous FSB speeds? Oh, in Dual Channel mode of course.

If it matters, I have done some searches on this and have found that PC3200 running at 5:4 with tight timings is great on a 250MHz FSB...im just not sure whats going to happen at 300... I was thinking mushkin PC4000 2x256 at 5:4 as I doubt it will ever run at 1:1...

What do you guys think?

Also, would 2x512 run as well in this setup as 4x256? in other words, can I start with 2x256 and upgrade later, or should I just go 2x512 to start?

thanks,
AC

Komusa A-Data brand Pc-4200 will let you run @ 1:1 at low voltage close or to 300FSB @ 2.5-3448 timmings...somehow they out do Mushkin or whatever memory @ 2-2-2-6 @ 5:4 by a little but thats because of the insanely FSB @ 1:1

i spent alot of money and 6 months trying to find a mb/cpu and memory capable of 300. as good as the komusa pc4200 hyperram is ur gonna have a hard time finding 2x256 stix that will run that fast. the 2x512 wont run quite as fast and i havent seen anyone ocz corsair included that has gotten 300 out of 2x512. If u need info on mb cpu or memory for ur project let me knoew i can save u some hassle. goodluck

Thanks guys. Flapper: my plans include 2.4c, IC-7(g or max 3), and ram that will keep up LOL. I know that the IC-7 and the max version of it have vdimm issues in the higer ranges, but alot of ppl are getting high FSB speeds out of them...Im open to other MB ideas, just keep in mind my goal of 300MHz. Good RAM compatability with the MB is important because as you know I may be using several different types and settings before I am happy. I want 1 gig of ram, but for some reason i thought ppl were getting better speed from 128 sticks(cant remember where i got this idea) If this isnt true, i think 2x512 sticks will be the way to go. The main goals are a 3.6GHz CPU and a 1.2GHz FSB. RAM will have to follow as closely as it can.

thanks,
AC

i have 2 ic7's tho they are sometimes finiky with memory, i love them. u are correct about ram size and overcloking the smaller the modules the less the memory controller has to work. alot of the guys are getting 282-285 on the 2x512 pc4200 adata. in alot of cases the memory actually outruns either the mb or the cpu. but again it would be next to impossible to get 300 out of 2x512 modules no matter WHO makes them..
Anyway i modded the H@LL out of my 2nd ic7, soon as i get some issues reated to my vtt mod. im gonna go for it. i have 2x256 stix of the hyperram with adata chips. i think 1 of the stix is capale of 300 cause it will run 290 on 2.78v. the other one requires 3v to get to 290 so im not sure about it. since i bought my hyperram/adata last summer/fall i seemed to have gotten some of the earlier bt-d43 chips used on the adata memory and they respond better to higher voltage. the newer bt-d43 chips dont run well over about 2.9v and that holds true for the newer hyperram w/adata chips also. like i said im a fountain of info, cause i made about every mistake u can make trying to get to 300 on air. so ill try to give all the info to save u alot of money and hassles.. flapperhead

Highest I got on my AI7 was 288FSB at 1:1 ratio - that's no errors in memtest. Not sure if my new IC7-Max3 will help at all, but I do plan on trying. I did notice my memory benchmark jumped about 300MB/s using the Max3 versus the AI7.

Sandra score with AI7 @ 288FSB was 6400+
Sandra score with Max3 @ 288FSB is 6700+

probably cause the 875 has performance acceleration on. the 865 chipset are turned off by default, so the mb makers try to turn it on with mixed results..

Komusa Hyperram 2x256mb PC-4200 Adata chips is what you need......

You wont need a vdimm or nothing..... just 2.75-2.85V on the vDIMM @ 300fsb 1:1 (3-4-4-8-8) and your set.

Of course it depends on your CPU and mobo too..... but if you get that RAM you'll know its not the RAM holdin you back...

:) www.komusa.com

Very nice. So it looks like the only option is to get the PC4200, run it at 1:1, and see how high i can get on the FSB. and if im not happy with that i guess i can drop the fsb to 250 and get some 2-2-2 mushkin(if its still around). thanks for the insight guys...and whoever gets to 300FSB at 1:1 first...let me know hehe

AC

Or you can run the ADATA at 5:4 ratio on tighter timings... Just as a reference, my Sandra pulls about ~6050 with the FSB at 284 and PAT fully disabled. Since my board only has an "enable" and "disable" option, I don't have the tweaking capacity of one of the Abit/Asus boards where you can do a partial-enable...

Running 284FSB at 5:4 2.5-4-3-7, my memory pulls about 5700 in Sandra -- not a huge loss really.

Back