• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Memory Choosing help...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

aNTiChRisT

Hey all, relativley new to memory, havent had alot of experience with it and all, was wondering if i could pick up some advice;

Think im about to splash out some cash and really pump up the fsb (270+) and im kinda in love with the old 1:1 divider. I have some corsair at the moment, works like a charm 3.0v 229fsb 2-5-3-2 (can only get 2-5-2-2 out of it @ 200fsb w/3.2v) loostening the timings think it will get up to about 240. But as you can see, this leaves me about 30short of my TARGET fsb... They stay cool @ 3.0v but at 3.2v i put a fan on them.

So what to do? Do i go for the ram i am impressed by, are the better overclockers or should i give the new giel direct-to-the-pcb stuff (golden dragon)?

Also, what is the difference with dualchannel/single sticks? I assume that DC gives twice the bandwidth, but single overclocks better?

Sorry if its a newb question, we all are someday tho, eh? Couldnt see any relative posts in lastest threads.

Thanks again,

~t0m

since the memory wont run 1-1 u might want to try 5/4 at the highest possible fsb. that would save u money. if u want guarenteed speed and since ur in the uk ,only corsair and ocz and geil has the pc4400. a gig will oc to about 280 or so, but its gonna be REAL expensive. there is a small company that sells speed tested adata pc4000 as there own pc4200 hyperram (komusa) most guys, are getting 282-288 or so with a gig of the stuff and it costs considerably less, however they dont ship to the uk. OR u could try getting a gig pf the adata pc4000 for cheaper than the ocz and corsair and see idf it will overclock well. the early adata with the older bt-d43 chips really responded well to higher voltage and alot of guys were getting hi speeds. but i dont know how well the newer stuff with the newer binned bt-d43 will run oc. it only needs 2.8-2.9v to operat at its max. jugdging from my tests with the kingston value ram and some hynix originals employing the newer bt-d43 chips, u can only expect 260-265 mhz. unless they are pretested and guarenteed for faster speed.. goodluck flapperhead

Im going for 2x256mb sticks, 1gig is outta my price range. If nessesary i can always upgrade later on. Just need some quality sticks tbh, that post kinda went abit grey on me in points :p I might get the pc4000 giel and see how that goes, but i dont have that much money (specially now im getting sidetracked, again :p)

Thanks for the help, anyone got any hands-on experience with this giel golden dragons?

THanks,

~t0m

Back