• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel I865PE Board - 5:4 or 1:1

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bob4432

i have read that sometimes it is better to set the memory at 5:4 and tighten up the timings than running at 1:1. where would i see the benefit of this? certain applications? games?

It all depends on how much mem speed u lose going 5:4 and how much cpu speed/fsb you gain. Tell us about your system and we can advise you what will be best :)

Sorry for hijacking this post. I also have the same dilemma.

Previously I was using Mushkin PC3500 with 5:4, 2.4'C'@3.3 with i875 Abit board.

But now I am using Corsair PC4000 with 1:1 2.4'C'@3.1(255FSB) with the same board.

Yes, memory bandwidth improved, but may I know what if overall performance ?

Thank you.

the memory running in sync with the CPU gives the CPU the oppurtunity to use its Rated Bandwidth..running in sync that is....running async has the memory running its full bandwidth if oc'd to full specs...but the CPU doesnt get its full bandwidth caused by the limitations of the memory running async...im probaly waaayyy off lol...but i remember seeing something similar to this..

ZhaoYun said:
Sorry for hijacking this post. I also have the same dilemma.

Previously I was using Mushkin PC3500 with 5:4, 2.4'C'@3.3 with i875 Abit board.

But now I am using Corsair PC4000 with 1:1 2.4'C'@3.1(255FSB) with the same board.

Yes, memory bandwidth improved, but may I know what if overall performance ?

Thank you.

it would seem to me running some mushkin pc3500 @3.3 would give u a 275fsb. running it at 5/4 with 2-2-2-5 timings should give u better memory bw,than running 255 at 3-4-4-8. secondly memory bw is of secondary consideration to cpu speed. running ur cpu 200 mhz slower will give u less overall performance. can u run the pc4000 any faster than 255?

Back