• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I think my 2500+ just bit the big one…

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bobross

Registered
Recently, my Barton 2500 was only booting once out of every seven powerups. I’ve had it OC’ed (2.4 – 2.5 Ghz) for about a year now with no problems. I’m using a swiftech Q-Power setup on an Abit NF7-S 2.0.

Now, it won’t post at all, no beeps, no monitor signal, nothing. I popped in an old 1700T and it booted up fine, so the 2500 must be fried.

My question is, should I buy a Mobile 2600 512k, or just go with a 3200?

Thanks for any advice!

Did you reinstall it and remount your cooling?

Something could have gone bad with the mounting... It may very well be a goner, but quite often people are too quick to write off their old hardware as dead.

And sometimes you might have got some AS3 on a bridge and the cpu just need's a good cleaning.

dead_man311: Yeah, I’m torn between the Mobile 2500 and 2600. So you don’t think a 3200 is worth it?

jlin453: I’m using a Swiftech water cooled setup, with the MCW5000 release 2 series water-block. I was getting around 51-52 degrees @ 2450ghz full load.

Jonspd, IMOG: I have re-installed and remounted several times, and I usually clean the processor fairly thoroughly with 99.9% Isopropyl alcohol, using Premium grade optical tissue. I will try it again to double check to see if any AS3 is on a bridge.

Thanks for the suggestions, maybe I can get this old friend up and running again!

The Athlon XP 3200 is $208.00 for the OEM , and chip will most likly be locked , so only FSB oc'ing , Plus the Ave for the XP's oc is 2.3Ghz to 2.4Ghz

The Mobile 2500 is $94.00 for the OEM , The Chip is unlocked , so you can oc with both the multi and FSB. the Ave is 2.5Ghz to 2.8Ghz ~ ive also seen 2 hit 3Ghz and one hit 3.2Ghz

thats $114 you will save over the 3200 , that you could be a sweet cooling for it , or maybe more ram , or upgrade anything

So id say the 2500 is one of the best bang for the buck out there

Good news! As you guys suspected, my 2500 isn’t dead.

I took Captain Newbie’s advice and tried the 2500 in my 1700’s Mobo. Although I had to re-seat the processor several times, it eventually worked. I’m still a little puzzled why I had to install it so many times before it worked again. I don’t recall doing anything different each time. Maybe I just cleaned it extra good that last time.

Well thanks again for the advice everyone, you guys are the pros.

bobross said:
Good news! As you guys suspected, my 2500 isn’t dead.

I took Captain Newbie’s advice and tried the 2500 in my 1700’s Mobo. Although I had to re-seat the processor several times, it eventually worked. I’m still a little puzzled why I had to install it so many times before it worked again. I don’t recall doing anything different each time. Maybe I just cleaned it extra good that last time.

Well thanks again for the advice everyone, you guys are the pros.

Keep us advised and good luck. For troubleshooting problems like this think process of elimination, since the box won't be particularly forthcoming.

Keep 'em folding! (Unless you overheat) :attn:

Great news, I had suspected that it was just being lazy. ;)

I suggest you crank that overclock up a bit and whip that butterball into shape! :D

Back