• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Tough little valueram?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Vipasnipa

So I have this stick of KVR DDR333 RAM, and I'm OCing it to 400mhz and feeding it 2.8v on aggressive settings. It's still rock solid. So I'd like to see if I can get the latency timings down some more, but my BIOS doesn't have the option! ARG! Am I getting the shaft by my Motherboard, or is there another way to force the timings? This RAM's SPD looks like this:

Module #1

General
Memory type DDR-SDRAM
Manufacturer (ID) Kingston (7F98000000000000)
Size 512 MBytes
Max bandwidth PC2700 (166 MHz)
Part number K

Attributes
Number of banks 2
Data width 64 bits
Correction None
Registered no
Buffered no

Timings table
Frequency (MHz) 133 166
CAS# 2.0 2.5
RAS# to CAS# delay 3 3
RAS# Precharge 3 3
TRAS# 6 7

At 200mhz the timings are:

Frequency (MHz) 200
CAS# 2.5
RAS# to CAS# delay 4
RAS# Precharge 4
TRAS# 6

I want to try and get them lower. Any ideas? (This is system #1 in my sig btw).

nope sorry, if you don't got the option to change the timing in the bios, your only hope is to use softwares that change timing in windows, but I never heard of a software that can do that.

P4 rigs actually don't benefit from tight timings that much; they love bandwidth. You'd be better off leaving them where they are, maybe even going to 3-4-4 and just try to reach the highest fsb you can while keeping your cpu stable.

So would it be wise to OC the ram some more if possible so that it is no longer in sync with the FSB but getting more bandwidth?

the earlier wisdom was to run the memory at 5/4 with the fsb with 2-2-2-5 timings that produced very good bw. now with the bh5/6 costing a fortune, alot of guys are just getting pc4000/4200 and running it 1-1 at 3-4-4-8 or 2.5-4-4-7. that works well if u can get some pc4000/4200 that will run as fast as the cpu will go.

Back