• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Confused About Memory, Seeking Help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Onizuka

I saw this deal in the cyber deals forum and I got all confused about memory now. I got a P4 2.6c (800fsb) and 2x256mb of HyperX 3200. One of my sticks is bad so Im looking to upgrade, since 256 isnt enough to do crap with. Anyways here is where I get confused. Since my cpu is 800fsb I thought I needed atlease PC3200 to take advantage of it. Without overclocking (or overclocking very lightly) could I use this ram and still have the same performance that I would if I had 3200?

Ram In Question

Thanks!

I thought that the lower the timings the better the ram is? Also I need 2x512 and I would like Kingston or Corsair. Main question is would running PC3000 have a preformance decrease from PC3200, if so by how much?

Thanks!

Yes, the lower the timing, the less amount of time for the whole cycle to take place, but because Intel uses quad-pumped fsb for their cpu instead of double pumped like AMD, you will benefit more from having faster speed than tight timing.

I'd recommend the OCZ or level one mushkin. Mushkin is the best, but it don't come cheap.

Here's a link to some mushkin:
Link

A bit over bugdet, but it's good shat.

Offtopic: What happened to your old, cool icon Onizuka. I loved that fat dancing guy.

EDIT: Whoops didn't noticed you used Intel, ignore this post :bang head

Ya Mushkin is too much $ for me. I been thinking about OCZ.

Ya I thought the lil fat dancing kid was cool too, but I dunno just got tired of having it hehe.

Well the only one I saw that I would consider is out of stock...and it would be about $220 for a gig, and I can get a gig of HyperX for that.

Back