• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A64 3200 or 3200 DTR

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

devilscow22

ok heres some ?s i have about possible upgrades

-would a S754 3200 or 3200 DTR be better for overclocking
-what is currently the best mobo for these chips
-what is the best heatsink for S754
-will i need a better PSU, i currently have a no name pos i think it might be a 450
-how much would getting better ram help me, i have corsair 512 xms DDR400

thanks

1. The DTR will OC better
2. Not too sure on that one
3. SLK-948U
4. Most likely Yes.
5. Getting highend RAM will let you go to higher FSB, meaning a high overclock when FSB:RAM are in ratio of 1:1. I don't know how high your RAM will do so i can't comment on that.

-what is currently the best mobo for these chips

Gigabyte K8N series is best IMHO and many others love the Shuttle AN50R ( I tried it but hated the bios and personaly dont recomend but MANY others do, So I list it for you)

-will i need a better PSU, i currently have a no name pos i think it might be a 450

never underestimate having a good PSU. So The Coolest is correct most likely yes

how much would getting better ram help me, i have corsair 512 xms DDR400

thats fine to start.

And questions 1 and 3 I agree with The Coolest 100 % :thup:

Last edited:
Be careful, only the 3200+ DTR is a CG revision chip, the 3400+ DTR is the older C0 revision, like the desktop chips. Given the OC potential of the CG revision, the 3200+ DTR is what you should be going for.

Athlon 64 3200+ DTR (CG Revision) l ASRock K8S8X l 2x 512MB Mushkin PC3500 Level II l ATI Radeon 9700 Pro w/Arctic Cooling VGA Silencer l WD Raptor WD740GD SATA HD l Seagate Barracadu ATA V w/SeaShield l Plextor PX-708A l Aureal Vortex 2 SQ2500 Rev.B w/Roland MIDI Daughtercard l SB Audigy l Chieftec Case w/Acoustipack Deluxe v2 Treatment

i was wondering how many ghz...

ive seen dtrs hit 2.8-2.9ghz on a prommy 2.6-2.7 on water cooling and 2.5-2.6 on air, these are really great chips, im getting one on a promy soon enough.

ive just got mine lol ...athlon 64 3200+ (2200mhz) stock running in at stock levels at minute,,,up dated bios to 1.7 revivsion on k8s8x and now allows votage changes and multiplyer changes(standard is 11*200) had fsb to 205 only which put it at 2265mhz...also new bios unlocked all memory and pci locks so can now set up everything cant wait to see what this thing does lol

Back