• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which would be better, higher fsb or higher multi?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Chucky Da Pwner

Currently i am stable at 2.5 ghz 12.5 x 200, but i found a way to get 2.6 ghz stable under 2.0 vcore 186 x 14. Which would be better to stay with, the higher fsb or the higher multi?

It depends on what you are trying to do benchmarks? Drystone and whetstones will yield higher with the higher mhz, but most other benchmarks, 3dmarks and pcmark usually show higher results with higher fsbs. In terms of everyday use, I would bet money you would not notice the difference

Captain Newbie said:
In general a higher FSB will result in a higher memory bandwidth as well as a corresponding increase in internal CPU frequency if you run your memory in sync.

I would agree. Generally higher FSB would be better because of the increas in memory speeds, but it all depends upon what you are doing. For example, if you are folding higher frequency would be beneficial.

Matt

Yea i don't really notice much of a difference, so im conflicted on what to stay with. I guess whichever one i get lower temps with is the one i'll stay with.

Either way you have a great system there. It should be a lot of fun, hehe. Do you fold? If not, why!!?!?!?!?
:D

Matt

thats what id do if they both seem to be = performance , then which even one has a lower temp

or try playing with a lil lower multi and lil higher FSB , and see what you get

dead_man311 said:
thats what id do if they both seem to be = performance , then which even one has a lower temp

or try playing with a lil lower multi and lil higher FSB , and see what you get

I've tried to use a lower multiplier with a higher fsb like 13 x 200. I can only get it stable with 2.06 volts in the bios, which then undervolts to 1.985-2.0 which is too much for me. I might try 208 x 12.5 also. Temps are what im watching most right now. Its about 33c ambient temperature right now (damn california weather) and my idle temp at 2.5 ghz is around 40-42 and load is 45-48. So i just want to get a little higher overclock and possibly better temperatures.

Dont push the vcore higher than 2.0-2.1, I dont recommend that, always stay lower unless you have a extreme cooling setup for your cpu.

well the 2.5ghz oc:
Requires less volts
Is damn fast
has higher mem bandwidth
runs cooler
and did i mention its damn fast?

Back