• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OCing differences between Nf7 and NF7-S 2.0

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Metalwave

Registered
I'm curious how the NF7 compares to the Nf7-S 2.0 in terms of overclockability? I mean the only difference it seems to me is that the NF7 doesn't have SATA and is a little cheaper. Am I wrong about this?

But I want to know how well it OC's. Does it have the 5th bit FID like the NF7-S? and how high can the voltages be pushed to (mainly looking at Vcore)? It seems that both mobos OC pretty well, but I just wanted some opinions and thoughts on the limits of the NF7 and it's differences to the NF7-S 2.0.

Bump ... me too. Curious as to what the difference is between the MCP-T and MCP Southbridges (http://www.abit-usa.com/products/mb/comparison.php), and what differences, if any, people are actually experiencing in performance.

Metalwave, if you take a look at that link, you'll see a few other features differences as well - no Soundstorm audio on the NF7, no firewire, and as you said, no SATA.

From everything I've read, there's virtually no difference in oc'ing ability.

The only real difference between the two is features and the SB - one is an MCP, the other an MCP-T. One could argue that less features mean less things going wrong and hence better overclockability, but my guess would be that the two are just about the same.

PerlAddict said:
So what does the -T mean in MCP-T ?

soundstorm .. the nvidia Audio Processing Unit (APU) .. much superior than the onboard solutions (ALC650 on the case of NF7 non-S).

if you don't already own audigy, it's a good solution .. the same for SATA .

Well, I hear a lot of folks have problems with the sound breaking up when running a high FSB, and I'm happy with my SB Live cards until I get a chance to upgrade (I only have 2.1 speakers on this computer, anyway), so onboard audio isn't important to me. I think I may pick up an NF7 now. Thanks for the info.

So there's no real difference in the OC capabilities? My real concerns were if I could change the 5th bit FID in the BIOS. I want to avoid any wire tricks if I can.

No reason you won't be able to. Of course, I'm not sure if TicTac's BIOSes will work with the NF7 either. That might be a bonus of going with the NF7-S.

Wire tricks aren't a bad deal though, they're surprisingly easy.

johan851 said:
No reason you won't be able to. Of course, I'm not sure if TicTac's BIOSes will work with the NF7 either. That might be a bonus of going with the NF7-S.

Wire tricks aren't a bad deal though, they're surprisingly easy.

I have a non-s NF7 and don't have any problems with TicTac's.

I have 2 NF7 Rev 2 mobos and they work great w/ TicTac's bios.
As you can see in my sig, the NF7 o/c just as well as the NF7-S.

Back