• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Newbie here!! first OC in a while.. need advice.. (sorry for double post)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

darkjedi

Registered
Hey everyone..

New here, last time I OC'd anything it was a Celeron 300A on some a-bit board.. It's been a while.. the whole concept has been lost on me.. My current athlon t-bird 1.4 is getting a lil old.. plus my HD was dying so I figured.. fawk it.. i'll build a new PC..

Here's what I'm getting:

Abit NF7 Nforce 2 Audio Lan ATA133

2x CORSAIR DDR400 PC3200 512MB

AMD ATHLON 2500+ Mobile

Vantec VA4-C7040 HSF

Antec Performance II SX635BII case w/350W power supply

ATI/Sapphire Radeon 9600 256M DDR

Seagate 120GB 7200RPM 8MB

What kinda OC results can I expect with this setup .. air cooling only.. Also.. could someone explain to me raising the multiplier / core / voltage...

How bout OC'n memory as well??

Probably be easiest to throw some settings that work .. I can try with those and play around after that...

Does it make a diff when you OC?? Should I do it before / after I install windows??

Anyways, lookin aroun on this board, there's obviously tons of knowledgable people, any info / help you can provide will be appreciated..

thanks..

-Tawheed

After you install Windows (and preferably after you drive image it).

MHz speed = FSB x multiplier

Expect 2.5 GHz and above speeds, preferably with lower multiplier and FSB in the 200s.

Need to raise Vcore and Vdimm voltage for major overclocks.

Click here if you don't know what drive image means:
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=214369

Are you already set on those components?
If not I would definatly recommend better cooling, and if you can afford it a 9600Pro/XT would be a nice boost in performance.
For cooling I'd recomend a ThermalRight HS. anything like ALX-800, SLK-800, SLK-900, SLK-947, would be better than what you chose. Also you get to chose the fan you put on it your self.

yeah, all those parts are either already here or ordered.. everything else should arrive today, i guess i'll find out once i put everything together and see how it works..

thanks

-tawheed

Back