PDA

View Full Version : Saw a perfect circle on friday

BigRed
04-12-04, 04:07 AM
Went to my first concert on friday, lol
Man that was insane, my ears are STILL ringing from it. I normally dont go out into large groups of people but my love for apc overpowered my paranoia and I went and saw them :D

I ****ed off a ton of people there, it was like there was NOBODY that was over 6' on the GA floor, and with me at 6'7" I had a perfect view of everything but I heard people behind me *******g that they were stuck behind the tall guy, lol
Thats when I yelled out "I LIVE IN A WORLD OF MIDGETS!"
haha :D Good way to get my ass kicked :P

Has anyone else seen them in concert before?

Chris
04-12-04, 04:51 AM
You lucky son of &%$*&"! :D
There one of the bands I really want to see of course along with Tool, I missed my opportunity a couple of months ago when they came to the UK, they played Manchester which is about an hours drive from where I am, I didnt realise they where playing there until a couple of weeks after the show otherwise I would of been there like a shot!

Sounds like you had a great time, how was the performance its self? Live shows are what its all about. :)

BigRed
04-12-04, 05:43 AM
Originally posted by Chris Sounds like you had a great time, how was the performance its self? Live shows are what its all about. :)

The performance was good (although the opening band sucked hardcore). I honestly didnt really care much for the way they did half of the songs, I liked the cd versions of some of the songs much better. There were a few though that I really enjoyed moreso than the cd version.
It was neat seeing them play it all live though :)

They played all of the 13th step and a couple songs from mer de noms. Plus one of the gituarists (cant remember names very well) did a solo of a smashing pumpkins song, lol

SOMEONE ANSWER THAT PHONE! :p

Chris
04-12-04, 05:53 AM
Originally posted by BigRed

one of the gituarists (cant remember names very well) did a solo of a smashing pumpkins song, lol

SOMEONE ANSWER THAT PHONE! :p

That would probably be James Iha, he was in the pumpkins so it makes sense, although Billy was the Pumpkins tech so maybe he had a moment of madness. :cool:

I remember once I made the mistake of going to a show and going straight to the front near the speaker, my ears were ringing for days! I certainly larned my lesson after that! :p

-Chris

Pinky
04-12-04, 10:26 AM
I don't know why I haven't been able to get into apc, I've been a big Tool fan since I saw "Sober" on headbangers ball a lifetime ago...

Maybe I just need to go and buy 13th step and just listen.

Grats on getting out to a show, I stopped enjoying concerts a few years back. Decided the crowds and cost just didn't measure up to the enjoyment (or lack there-of). I'm content watching Rush In Rio (my favorite band) and STILL haven't seen the 3 stooges in concert as a result of my hating shows so much, lacking cash at the time they toured, or what-have-you...

Evnas
04-12-04, 10:40 AM
Tool is still the better of the two bands imo, but Maynard is still one of the best out there. I've got to meet him a few times because he's a friend's cousin, but sadly at the time I didnt really know who he was (damn that rap music! :p)

druidelder
04-12-04, 10:49 AM
Went and saw them last Sunday (not yesterday). Good show, but hard to judge as my mind was having a hard time holding on to reality.

BigRed
04-12-04, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by Pinky
Maybe I just need to go and buy 13th step and just listen.

You should. Its been one of those cds that I can just listen to nonstop and doesnt get old :)

BigRed
04-12-04, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by Chris

That would probably be James Iha, he was in the pumpkins so it makes sense, although Billy was the Pumpkins tech so maybe he had a moment of madness. :cool:

I remember once I made the mistake of going to a show and going straight to the front near the speaker, my ears were ringing for days! I certainly larned my lesson after that! :p

-Chris
Speaker?

The tacoma dome had 28 speakers in the front. 2 large towers/stacks on either side of the stage hanging from the celing.

I was within 30ft of them and the band, I think my ears are going to be out of comission for a week, lol

Malpine Walis
04-12-04, 07:25 PM
Only 28? I saw KISS/Aerosmith a few months ago and KISS had 54 stacks of speakers and amps with 12 drivers in each stack. My hearing was down to like 30% the day after and it took like a week and a half before it was back to normal.

Pinky
04-12-04, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by Malpine Walis
Only 28? I saw KISS/Aerosmith a few months ago and KISS had 54 stacks of speakers and amps with 12 drivers in each stack. My hearing was down to like 30% the day after and it took like a week and a half before it was back to normal.

But apc isn't playing the same, larger venues... besides, it's not how big your stack is, it's how you play with it :p

BR: I just got back from stopping at the record store earlier this evening with Maa... noms... french title thingie, and 13th step... It's now set for rotation in the car and will get heavy listening in the coming days ;).

Oni
04-12-04, 09:32 PM
I actually really liked 13th Step. Moreso than Mer de Noms, I think. It has a nicer sound, I think.

KaHNZa
04-12-04, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by druidelder
Went and saw them last Sunday (not yesterday). Good show, but hard to judge as my mind was having a hard time holding on to reality.

A little to much smokey smokey? Or something else?

Anyway, I've never heard of this band. :eek: And a friend of mine tells me about all these other bands that I've never heard of. Maybe its time I start exploring music. :-/

Oni
04-12-04, 10:13 PM
What about Tool? You've heard of Tool, right?

APC was formed by the frontman for Tool. They have a similar sound.

Malpine Walis
04-12-04, 10:14 PM

besides, it's not how big your stack is, it's how you play with it :p

Au contraire Pinky. You need to go to a concert that features the “wall of sound”. Since you are not into metal you should check out the Dead.

If you have ever been to a sporting event that you are not a fan of you will know of what I speak. The sound is not the big deal. The electric atmosphere is the real deal. Go to a show where everyone is a huge fan and you will get into the “group mentality” of the show.

Also, buy the Cunning Stunts DVD from Metallica. You will get the idea....

BigRed
04-12-04, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by Oni
I actually really liked 13th Step. Moreso than Mer de Noms, I think. It has a nicer sound, I think.

Yeah, 13th step is better than mer de noms. I liked only a few songs on the first one, but like every song on the 13th step i like, lol

Malpine: Pinky is right :p they closed off 2/3's of the tacoma dome to play in so it was smaller compared to other places. It was way too loud as it was, any louder and it would have killed everyones hearing.

MadSkillzMan
04-13-04, 12:22 AM
i bought my girlfriend tickets to the April 23rd show at Tower City Ampetheater in Cleveland Ohio. Anyone seeing that?

druidelder
04-13-04, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by KaHNZa

A little to much smokey smokey? Or something else?

I was fairly sober, but the show was very condusive to flashbacks.

Originally posted by Oni

That's not quite right Oni. They were formed by the guitar tech. He had been looking for a female singer when Maynard came across him behind stage before a Tool show. Maynard asked him what he was working on and Billy showed him. Maynard asked if he could give it a shot. That's why the first album is so different. With the exception of Judith and Three Libras, the first album was written before Maynard even knew APC existed.

I'm going to see them again in June (or is it July...).

Permanoob
04-13-04, 02:29 PM
I saw APC a couple of years back when they opened for Nine Inch Nails. They did a great set. I like APC and Tool but wouldn't ever pay and go out of my way to see them.

KaHNZa
04-13-04, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by Oni

Of course I've heard of Tool. I have them in my playlist. :D

Lazlo Panaflex
04-13-04, 08:47 PM
I saw them april 7th at long beach arena.... i really went to see The Mars Volta though :)

APC is alright, Tool however...Is God.

BigRed
04-14-04, 01:33 AM
Originally posted by Lazlo Panaflex
I saw them april 7th at long beach arena.... i really went to see The Mars Volta though :)

WTF

gawd I couldnt stand them, it was just... ugh
Opening bands should play the same type of music as the main band or else people wont enjoy them, the whole crowd agreed with me except for a few freaks up front, lol. Me and nearly everyone else were just staring at them with a confused look on our faces.

Lazlo Panaflex
04-14-04, 01:13 PM
lol, im not sure why the two bands are playing together...they couldnt be more different.

There prog-indie stylings really dont appeal to the apc structured alternative fan.

Pinky
04-14-04, 03:05 PM
So far so good, about 7-8 tracks into 13th step and it hasn't ****ed me off yet! :p

I have a hard time making out Maynard's lyrics, gonna have to track them down as I had to with every Tool album.

BigRed
04-14-04, 03:13 PM
So far so good, about 7-8 tracks into 13th step and it hasn't ****ed me off yet! :p

I have a hard time making out Maynard's lyrics, gonna have to track them down as I had to with every Tool album.

The only one I had trouble with was on track #4 (Blue).

Pinky
04-14-04, 03:27 PM
The only one I had trouble with was on track #4 (Blue).

I will admit that I understand more of them than on most Tool albums, where's he's either whispering or screaming... :p

But I still can't get all of them... maybe after a few listens I'll catch more.

Tawcan
04-14-04, 03:32 PM
At least you get to see them... I was suppose to go to the April 8th concert in Vancouver but the show was canceled. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Permanoob
04-14-04, 04:01 PM

Opening bands should play the same type of music as the main band or else people wont enjoy them, the whole crowd agreed with me except for a few freaks up front, lol. Me and nearly everyone else were just staring at them with a confused look on our faces.

I was in a similar situation when I was 19. Got tickets to see U2 in concert for my girlfriend and a little bit for me. Rage Against the Machine was opening for them. I like Rage but seriously.. U2.. Rage... same concert? There was also a DJ on stage spinning records in between set changes. *shrugs*

The way most people handled Rage playing was they just didn't show up until U2 planned on being on stage. Empty stadium of all but about 150-200 people.

Lazlo Panaflex
04-14-04, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by Permanoob

I was in a similar situation when I was 19. Got tickets to see U2 in concert for my girlfriend and a little bit for me. Rage Against the Machine was opening for them. I like Rage but seriously.. U2.. Rage... same concert? There was also a DJ on stage spinning records in between set changes. *shrugs*

The way most people handled Rage playing was they just didn't show up until U2 planned on being on stage. Empty stadium of all but about 150-200 people.

lol, rage with U2? that is hilarious.

BigRed
04-15-04, 04:22 AM

I will admit that I understand more of them than on most Tool albums, where's he's either whispering or screaming... :p

But I still can't get all of them... maybe after a few listens I'll catch more.

http://www.lyricsondemand.com/a/aperfectcirclelyrics/

Pinky
04-15-04, 11:36 PM
Finished both albums twice now, like 13th step a lot. The first one has some decent tunes, but 13th step just has THAT attitude the first is lacking.