• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

defective BH-5's!!!! =(

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jlin453

Long story short, I see some Mushkin PC3500 cas2 ram at Fry's. I ask the guy if I can see the chips. He smiles and assures me it's not the kind I'm looking for (BH5 / BH6) and that it's probably some generic crap. Well I bought it anyways. When I get home, I lift the heatsink to reveal BH5's! Unfortunately prime is failing at a measily 216fsb with vdimm of 3V and timings of 2-3-3-11 and 2-2-2-11. update, it can't even run 2.5-3-3-11 :(

What a waste :( :( :(

And I know it's not my system because I had my CH-5's running stable at 222fsb.

Last edited:
:D RMA them. Mushkin has a stockpile of binned BH5. Send them to Mushy...

Thats how I got meh BH5. Bought a pair....only to find them to be defective... RMAed em and now I got da good stuff

Are you serious?

Do they use any other chips in the PC3500's? I just don't want to get it back and see some generic chips in them.

I'm going to go buy the other stick of PC3500 they have.

*whispers* It was only $109 for a 512mb stick!!!!!

*whispers* It was only $109 for a 512mb stick!!!!!
Good stuff!

I bought meh pair of 2x256 for $126:beer:

Also I got a friend whos lookin for Level2....

How much do they have? PM me plz

EDIT: And ur sure its not the 222 Special?

If its Level2 Plz plz PM me.

*sigh*, I purchased the second stick which is also BH-5's but these one is failing tests also :( Lets hope mushkin will RMA these sticks. :( :( :(

edit: well I'm trying memtest now, 2-2-2-11 and 214fsb. five minutes no errors... :crosses fingers:

Last edited:
Ok I need help guys.

I contacted mushkin and gave them the numbers, they said that both of these were the basic mushkins and it just happens that they have BH-5's. Now officially the basics were rated at really high spds, (2.5, 5, 5, 4 I think she said).

So now, what should I do? She said Fry's shouldnt even be selling ram like this and claiming its cas 2 (which they do claim by the way). She gave me some BS saying I had to run my barton at 133 and use the 4/6 divider to test the ram. Only then if it fails I could RMA.

Any comments??

(stupid dishonest *******s at Fry's....got false advertisment?)

Last edited:
They're saying to use a divider to make sure it's not your motherboard's FSB or the CPU's FSB that is failing, rather than the RAM.

No, I know that's not what she said. I know enough about all the settings; she said this ram was rated for the chip to be run stock and the divider at 4:6. Screw messing with mushkin, I'm just going to Fry's to chew someone out. They shouldn't have branded these ram PC3500's CAS2. They couldnt run 2.5-3-3-11 at pc3500 speeds.

<---mad

What are the ratings on the stick? There should be a sticker clearly stating the Lvl1 or 2.... Are the PCBs black? Maybe your mobo doesn't like BH5s?

Ram overheating due to poor contact?

No.

Black PCB, purchased from Fry's so they put their own sticker on there (PC3500, serial number) thus no ratings, heat is not an issue.

I mean, I don't even care if they're labelling it something it's not since it has the BH-5s, but the thing can't even run cas 2 OR cas 2.5 at 434mhz. I get blue screens in windows.

Because of this, Mushkin can't give me an RMA because the mislabeling problem isn't their problem, it's Fry's. So by the serial number on the ram, the ram is technically running in spec, since it wasn't even rated at cas2 in the first place.

Wait..... Is it or is it NOT PC3500 Level2 Black??

I really need this info. If its NOT actual Level2 Black it changes the situation dramatically!

No it's not, but it has the black PCB and both DO have the Bh-5 chips. She said one of the sticks I had was very old, like 1+ years old. That was the one Fry's had on display (I knew this, but considering it was BH5 thought it would run well)

So summary, these are the basic mushkin ram, but with BH5's. I doubt mushkin will take responsibility and I doubt the manager at Fry's will do anything other than refund me the money.

I KNOW I got greedy and thought I had quality BH5's for cheap, but these don't even run the (Fry's) advertised speed, which is what I'm mad at now. They just relabeled it to higher ram. Oh the manager will get an ear ful from me. I'm just waiting on the email back from the mushkin rep. I emailed her the picture of the receipts and ram; she said Fry's shouldn't be selling it like that

I talked to the purchaser, and he's also unclear as to what those could be. We have not sold fry's the part number on your copper one, I don't know where they got that. And the other module should not have had bh-5 chips on it unless it is really really old. For months we have not made a 3500 fry's product with Bh-5 chips....
anyhow, no matter what chips are on them, all of our 3500 products have been rated to run at a ratio with a 133 core cpu, they are only guaranteed at a 4:6 ratio. Both of those part numbers are rated for memory timings of 2.5 4 4.
Did the memory pass when you ran it at 4:6?
Like I mentioned on the phone, we could do an rma, but if they are passing at 4:6 they are running at our specs. When we get them back if they pass our testing, we would have to return the same modules back to you.

I've never heard of the part of the 4:6. Common sense would tell me they're suppose to run 1:1 at 434mhz. ????

Looks like my only option is the return it to fry's. No bh5's for me since these crappy sticks are technically probably still running in spec, according to their 4:6 thing.

jlin453 said:

I've never heard of the part of the 4:6. Common sense would tell me they're suppose to run 1:1 at 434mhz. ????

Looks like my only option is the return it to fry's. No bh5's for me since these crappy sticks are technically probably still running in spec, according to their 4:6 thing.

well did you try runnin with the divider? Could be your board not liking the ram... Post closeup pictures of the ram 'n PCB?

Yes I ran the divider but also at 3-4-4-_. Yeah I'll be returning it tomorrow; I've tried everything. Mushkin says they never sold this particular stick to Fry's and don't know how they ended up with it. Yeah, quite unfortunate. I just did the vdimm mod today and even with 3.2V neither chip could do anything useful.

Back