• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What power supplies are powering your 8rda+'s?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Quailane

Hey, I was just wondering what power supply to buy for mine. I thought I had a good one. It gave stable voltages at load within .1-.2 volts on another motherboard, but it used the 12 volt rail on that motherboard. On the epox, the 3.3 volt line is 2.75 at load! The 12 volt line (not being used) is at 13.2 volts, and the 5 volt line is at 4.75! I'm not able to go past 170 fsb like this with at 12.5 multiplier too. Volts for the processor are set to 1.9 but it is actually 1.57. For ram it is 2.9, actually 2.4.

Last edited:
Any brand name unit should be OK. Make sure its at least 400 watts and has active PFC. I recommend PCPowerandcooling.com but a lot of folks like Sparkle and Fortron units....

Thanks. Too bad that pcp&c is way out of my price range. I think I'll settle for 500 watt fortron on newegg.

antec truepower 380

brand names do matter when OCing... but when i build a compy for someone else who isn't going to, let's see... I think the last was an allied 400W... ;)

Raidmax 500w. Looks nice, the price is right, and it works very well. Powers the config in my sig, plus 3 extra hard drives, cathodes, fans, etc...

Turbolink 420w PSU. I wouldn't recomend it. Stay with the big brand names. Runs my system ok, but the volts on the +5v line are always low.

turbolink 420 <--beast, cost me 19 bucks, rock stable voltages, i also got one on my k7d running a ton of crap and its still stable!

My vote goes to Sprakle/Forton.
I use their 350w PSU and it's great.
I use the 120mm fan version so it's dead silent!

Suma.

I just put in a Sparkle/Fortron 530 watt and I've never seen more stable rails, and only $73 at Newegg!

I went through three other low quality power supplies until I finally learned my lesson. Priming stable with sig... and the rails hardly budge!

It's in the sig. BTW, the 3.3v reading on the 8RDA is really the memory voltage, so don't freak out about that 2.75v. It's the correct reading.

Fortron 350W. Sparkle is made by Fortron without all the bells and whistles and more economical.

I blow out a AGI 300W power supply with my 8RDA+ when I was testing my 1700+ at 2.55GHz @2.1V using a 92mm Vantec Tornado on my Swiftech MC462A. I replaced the AGI with a 400W Macron which did okay. Just switched to a Superflower/TT 350W w/140mm fan, which runs cooler than the Macron. Voltage rails seem to be more stable too.

Back