• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2600+ at 266? Better option than a 2400+?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bail Organa

Hi,

I am in need of a new CPU (I've been using a borrowed one since my 1800+ blew up) and don't know if I should get a 266 FSB one or a 333 FSB one. I have two sticks of DDR RAM (256MB each) which run at 266 MHz which I cannot afford to replace at this time.
I would like to know what you would recommend:

1) a 2400+ with a FSB of 266
2) a 2500+ or 2600+ with a FSB of 333 running at 266 (due to the memory)

The CPU will be fitted in my current motherboard which is an Asus a7v8x (bios revision 1013).

Thank you very much for your time.

Cheers,
Bail Organa

I would get the mobile 2400+.
using either a simple wire trick or even software like GCPUID (my sig, red link) you will be able to run it at stock speeds or even overclock.

why not get a mobile? It should work fine in your mobo, they are great OC'ers, and not too expensive along with unlockedness.

Seeing as you have PC2100 RAM, if for some reason you can't get a mobile Barton, go with the always multiplier unlocked 2100+ B.

Hi,

First of all, thanks for your input.
I assume you are talking about this one:
AMD Mobile Athlon XP 2400+, 266FSB
Core: Barton
Operating Frequency: 1.8GHz
FSB: 266MHz
Cache: L1/64K+64K; L2/512K
Voltage: 1.45V
Process: 0.13Micron

First of all, other than a bigger l2 cache, what are the advantages of this mobile version over the desktop?
I don't think that my motherboard can handle a 1.45v core... I would like to have the choice of NOT medling with it :) Am I wrong?
I think I know the answer to this one, but... Am I correct in assuming that the boxed versions of the AMD CPUs are the desktop CPUs and not the mobile ones? I have looked at about 10 online portuguese stores, and they only sell the boxed (that include a cooler) versions.
In case I am not able to get my hands on a mobile... which one would be the best choice?

Cheers,
Bail Organa

Mobile Bartons work with your mobo and they overclock at least 200 MHz better than desktop Bartons.

You have PC2100 RAM so your only other choice is 2100+ T-bred B as other CPUs may be multiplier locked leaving you with limited FSB overclocking possibilities with your PC2100 RAM.

Back