• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dual MP 1.2ghz vs Single XP 2000+

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AFIsoldier

I game, rip music, watch movies, host CS LANs, and surf the web while using AIM. Which setup would I prefer? Neither will be overclocked(unless the MPs oc well), and will have the same ram, vidcard, and hdd. So, which would be the better choice, and which would YOU choose?

Oh, this wouldn't be a main rig, but I think I will stay single since I would end up gaming on here some and I don't push my CPU to 100% too often, just often enough to tick me off.

ooh, I think I should be alright, FPS isn't really reliant on CPU. Also, what does pure MHZ have over more bandwidth(isn't that what SMP gives you?)?

What SMP gives you is seamless multitasking. As one of my (less eloquent but technologically gifted) friends has put it:

"SMP is smoother than prom night, with less risk."

Pure megahertz is mostly good for gaming, gaming, and some more gaming. The beauty of SMP, when used with a SMP-aware OS, is that threads can be split between CPUs if the program is multithreaded, and that entire tasks can be split between CPUs if the program isn't.

::wishes he could move this to SMP, where more qualified people can answer it::

MOHAA should run nicely on the MP's with a nice vid card. Runs decent on my 1.33 Tbird with a Radeon 7000, so I don't see any problems with the Dual 1.2's. If you're gonna use that MX440 in it, its slightly fasteer than a Radeon 7000, so I don't see a problem as I have no probs.

modify 2 xp2000s and run them both on the dual amd board ;) for a short time i was running a dual p3 1GHz setup that felt as quick as my xp2000 machine, altough i didn't game on it.

well, for the cost of another xp2000+, I can get a pair of the MPs. As I am much too lazy to mod them, and my hands always shake so I think I would end up cutting(or is it filling) more than the L5 bridge. And the fact that dual 1200mps sounds more l337 than uhh..dual...err..xp...2000..plus

Can't you just use the "Wire-in -the-Socket" method?

Anyway, I think you could do something with the name. 2000=2k=2kilo=2grand=2g's If anything it could be "Dual 2000mps" or "Dual 2k's"

It wouldn't be MP, they are XP and they will never be MP....lol And I think 1200 looks cooler than 2000. And this 2000 system will become a folder, if I get rid of it, then less folding power!

Back